Top Shelf Aquatics

TigerLily's IM 30L - Happy Tankiversary!

TigerLily

Thanks!

It's weird I have more tank shots of yours than my own. I'm still staring at white rock and frag plugs, so it's nice to see a glimpse into the future (hopefully).

• Like 1

Thanks!

It's weird I have more tank shots of yours than my own. I'm still staring at white rock and frag plugs, so it's nice to see a glimpse into the future (hopefully).

Do you have a build thread yet?

Our Royal Gramma does fine with a six line, neon goby and clown. The wrasse is the bully but we used a breeder box when we added the clown. The wrasse pecked at the box for 5-6 days and then ignored it. We waited another day and added the clown and everyone has been getting along quite well. The RG is still probably the most territorial of our 4. As long as no one is near the mouth of her cave she is super laid back.

• Like 1

For a long while I was running at 160 blue/80 white, but I started to feel like that was too blue for me. I like a brighter more natural and warm look. I recently switched to 160/160 and I like it much better. So far everything seems happy - I moved a couple of pieces into shadier spots before making the change. Compare:

Last month's FTS at 160/80

16310676056_87ecae99e1.jpg

This morning at 160/160

16464423795_dfb1ccc930.jpg

Very nice tank. Will be following.

• Like 1

that toadstool looks great! so does the open brain corals.

Thanks! That toadstool is becoming huge. It was my first coral :wub: I love it and it loves the flow right there under my mp10.

Aww, poor Cinderella. It seems like the majority of accounts I've read say their royal grammas were easily bullied by anything "semi-aggressive."

Wow, the change in your lights is huge. I looked at the first pic and thought, "that's sort of white," then saw the new lighting and was like, "whoa!" Still getting used to my Tide and how white it is even when blues are double the whites. Never realized just how "purple" the Razor 16k is.

Thank you. Ugh. I just don't know what to do about the last fish now that the 6-line is in there.

I like how it looks with more white! Very pretty!

Thank you!

160/160 looks Bad arse!!!

I love the look too! :)

I just caught up - so sorry about Cinderella :(

But the whiter setting looks really great! I tried similar settings on my Nanobox too, but I eventually went back to the bluer setting. I couldn't get the acans to color up properly and I couldn't keep the brighter whites from making everything recede. You've inspired me to try again :)

Thank you. I haven't had the whites bumped up for that long yet - hopefully I don't start cooking all my corals. I guess time will tell! I did move my big acan rock over to the right edge in hopes of keeping it out of the brightest of the light. fingerscrossed

• Like 2

Thank you. Ugh. I just don't know what to do about the last fish now that the 6-line is in there.

Yea...I love how six-lines look but it seems like the majority of people who have one have had it cause bully issues at some point or another. If you could isolate him you could probably chance the RG, let it get established and then release the six-line back in? Tough to put in anything new since he's already there <_<

• 2 weeks later...

I got some new fishy friends last week from KPA. Chalk Bass! Two of them. I've been wanting them for a long time and I figured that they are low key enough that they might not draw the evil clown's attention. Which they don't. And my 6-line is too busy hunting pods to really care…. surprisingly, the meanie is turning out to be my peaceful Talbot's damsel! (My damsel has been really digging up the joint lately too - maybe it's a phase he's going through) As long as the Chalk Bass stay on the left side of the tank (with their benefactor the goby) the damsel doesn't bother them though. The goby actually chases everyone except these little chalk bass away from her territory on the left, so they are living under her protection. One of them is out and about and the other one lives inside a clump of zoas. All you usually see is its head peeking out. They both come out to eat and seem to have good appetites though.

Here is "Thing 1"

16385144028_59564e5549.jpg

Here is "Thing 2"… does he think I can't see him? :P

16386611169_dec564e854.jpg

This is about as "together" as they get.

16572928825_95638ed743.jpg

Oh, and remember this guy? I brought him back to the front - but doesn't he remember that these polyp-stealing shenanigans are what got him banished to the sump last time!?! :blink:

15901649223_b14584f07a.jpg

• Like 4

awesome new additions- I really like them- they seem like such peaceful fish. Tanks looking great?

Thank you! They have been peaceful so far. They just mind their own business and hang out.

Those chalk bass are so cute :wub:

They are starting to come out more and more. I'm really happy with them!

Great looking tank. And nicely stocked as well :)

Thank you! Thanks for stopping by :)

Here are this month's FTS and pics...

16590011666_ea05ba67be.jpg

RIght side:

15996220163_ddb94a50e8.jpg

Middle:

15993802894_8d78f2e533.jpg

Left side:

16430191079_f3eba0f6d9.jpg

Gonna go update the first post. Have a great week everyone!

• Like 8

Ooooh, those new chalk bass are so cute! Great FTS too. Is that a red gorg on the back left-hand side?

Thank you! I love them. :wub:

Yes, that is a red gorg. It is my first NPS gorg and I'm a little nervous about it. I see polyps extend now and then, but not all the time or all over the whole gorg. My feather duster has been doing great for months and I feed filter-feeder foods a lot, so I am hoping that it will do well. It's getting lots of flow there. Maybe too much. I may switch the purple gorg back there and put the red one in the middle. My photosynthetic gorgs are doing great, but maybe my tank just doesn't have as many nutrients as I thought. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Tank looks amazing!

I'm planning to buy a 30L later on down the road too. But I'm skeptical about it because I read a bunch of pros and cons about the tank.

how is your experience with the 30L?

• 1 month later...

How's things going- how's the little chalk bass doing?

Thanks for checking in! The chalk basses are doing great. They have found their niche and only my evil clown gives them any trouble. They know when to hide though so all is well. :P

I've updated the first post with my latest FTS. No big changes, but I've lost my NPS gorg. It hung in there for a while, but I couldn't get it to thrive. Finally it withered away. Now, I'm having trouble with my smaller open brain. It is fading away and not puffing up like it used to. The only change lately is that I turned down my whites. All my other corals seem happy with the lighting situation. My birdsnest is growing well and my montipora are growing like weeds. I'm going to have to frag my purple cap soon because it's going to touch the rocks in front of it and shadow the zoas.

Clammy, my happy brain, z's & p's and my pink stylo.

16928589041_886178c070.jpg

Monti cap growing like a weed.

16722255557_576997d720.jpg

My poor brain. The light is reflecting off of it, so it looks worse than it is - but it still isn't great. The zoas, birdnest and sunset monti in the top right corner are all growing well. My toadstool is out of control!

16742135610_57d646d212.jpg

If I'm really still, maybe they'll think I'm a paly! B)

16742142190_6d88df7e95.jpg

This month's FTS...

16743355289_bcb156b131_c.jpg

Now I need to go catch up on everyone's threads!

• Like 4
jackiemazzer

Hi there :flower:

I'm so glad that you've updated your thread, I was getting quite concerned! I love what you've done with your tank so far, It's very inspirational for me and I love seeing your updates.

I'm hoping to set up my Fusion later this year, I purchased it last summer but we've had major building work done on our house so it's not going to be possible until at least September. Anyway in the meantime I'll keep checking in on the Fusion threads on here to get my fix, yours is by far my favourite though so I've genuinely been desperate for an update!! :lol:

I actually didn't see the Chalk Bass in the Paly's until I re-read the titles, they really do look very cute :wub: How's the Talbots Damsel doing now? You had mentioned some signs of aggression previously, I quite fancied getting one myself until you said that so I wondered if this was still the case?

Bye for now

Jackie :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the update- didn't know you had a few chalk's ?. Tanks looking great- that purple cap has some great color!

Thank you! Yes, I have 2 of the basses. They hang out together and are so cute! That purple cap has suddenly taken off. It just sat there not changing for the longest time and now… it's growing like mad and coloring up nicely.

Hi there :flower:

I'm so glad that you've updated your thread, I was getting quite concerned! I love what you've done with your tank so far, It's very inspirational for me and I love seeing your updates.

I'm hoping to set up my Fusion later this year, I purchased it last summer but we've had major building work done on our house so it's not going to be possible until at least September. Anyway in the meantime I'll keep checking in on the Fusion threads on here to get my fix, yours is by far my favourite though so I've genuinely been desperate for an update!! :lol:

I actually didn't see the Chalk Bass in the Paly's until I re-read the titles, they really do look very cute :wub: How's the Talbots Damsel doing now? You had mentioned some signs of aggression previously, I quite fancied getting one myself until you said that so I wondered if this was still the case?

Bye for now

Jackie :D

Thank you! I'm sorry to worry you ;) it's just been a busy Spring so far. My Talbot's Damsel is doing fine. After a few days he accepted that the chalk bass are here to stay and he stopped bothering them. I, on the other hand, have had to accept his views on sandbed topography. Once I stopped trying to flatten the sand back out and let him have his way his digging slowed down. I guess he just needed to make some caves. I moved a few of the sand-dwelling corals to coexist with the hills he made so that we could live in peace with his new arrangement. :lol:

• Like 4

I love it :) That toadstool looks really nice, and I love seeing all the fish playing in the corals :wub:

Thanks! My fish do cute stuff. :P

I just turned down my lights a little more. I'm hoping that it will give my green brain a chance to recover. The thing is though, my lights weren't exactly cranked to begin with. I've run them much higher in the past with no problems. But I don't think the problem is not enough light… every thing else is soooo happy. I always complain that I have too much on my sandbed - but this isn't how I wanted to make space. :unsure:

• Like 2
jackiemazzer

Thanks for the reply and it's nice to know the Talbot's not turned bad, I shall keep it on my ever changing livestock wish list! :lol: That's what my Reef life is at the moment, an ever changing wish list of fish, corals and equipment! :lol::lol:

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the green brain, I hope it pulls through for you. It couldn't be adversely affected by your toadstool coral could it? I read recently that one coral can sometimes be affected by the toxins even though others in the same tank are totally unaffected.

Anyway I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you fingerscrossed

• Like 1

The tank is looking lovely as ever!!!! The chalk bass is really striking! So my open brain started bleaching on me too. Turned out it was getting too much light. If you can, move it to a corner like where your big toadstool leather is now. Or if that's not possible, try shading it from above. I've done that before too. Rest a piece of paper or something on your screen lid so that it shadows the brain coral. See if that doesn't make a difference. It may take a while to noticeably show improvement. Mine recovered once I moved it to a corner. I hope it pulls through for you fingerscrossed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and it's nice to know the Talbot's not turned bad, I shall keep it on my ever changing livestock wish list! :lol: That's what my Reef life is at the moment, an ever changing wish list of fish, corals and equipment! :lol::lol:

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the green brain, I hope it pulls through for you. It couldn't be adversely affected by your toadstool coral could it? I read recently that one coral can sometimes be affected by the toxins even though others in the same tank are totally unaffected.

Anyway I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you fingerscrossed

Thanks! I think it's a light issue, but it *is* awfully close to that toadstool. I'm going to move it into a back corner on the other side of the tank to try to address both issues at once.

The tank is looking lovely as ever!!!! The chalk bass is really striking! So my open brain started bleaching on me too. Turned out it was getting too much light. If you can, move it to a corner like where your big toadstool leather is now. Or if that's not possible, try shading it from above. I've done that before too. Rest a piece of paper or something on your screen lid so that it shadows the brain coral. See if that doesn't make a difference. It may take a while to noticeably show improvement. Mine recovered once I moved it to a corner. I hope it pulls through for you fingerscrossed.

Thank you Gena! I did try to push it under an overhang there, but it is still getting a good amount of light. I'm going to do a little rearranging and send it to a back corner to see if that helps! I hope I can get mine to turn around like you did. fingerscrossed

• Like 1