Innovative Marine Aquariums

TigerLily's IM 30L - Happy Tankiversary!

TigerLily

Mission Accomplished! :ninja:

https://flic.kr/p/qAd3De'>16139673527_9631f180d4_z.jpg

I was able to basically just reach in and grab him. He scurried on to a small rock which I picked up and picked him off of. He is now residing peacefully in my fuge basket and can eat macro algae and pods to his heart's delight. I feel like I should do a preemptive strike and get the red crab out as well. I can switch the urchin back into the display for the little algae I have (it's all on the glass now anyway) and put the red crab in the sump area… But he's so damn big it freaks me out a little to get my hand near him! Maybe I'll work on that later today.

• Like 3

Sometimes I feed my crabs a broken piece of a veggie tablet, just to distract them so they don't steal food from the corals. I hold it in a pair of tongs and they grab hold with both claws and won't let go until I do. I bet you could pull your red guy right out of the tank like that. Or at least high enough to grab or net him.

• Like 2

Sometimes I feed my crabs a broken piece of a veggie tablet, just to distract them so they don't steal food from the corals. I hold it in a pair of tongs and they grab hold with both claws and won't let go until I do. I bet you could pull your red guy right out of the tank like that. Or at least high enough to grab or net him.

Good idea! I never fed my crabs so maybe that is why the little guy went rogue. I haven't caught the bigger one doing anything wrong, but he's just too big and starting to freak me out. I don't have any veggie tabs, but I do have some nori. I thought I'd try that. He was interested but wary of the nori when I was holding it, so I stuck it in the sand to let him come over and investigate. I turned my back to get my net and when I turned around I saw the little rascal pulling the nori strip back into the rocks. :rant: Maybe I can at least keep him fed and happy until I can get him into the sump. And if I'm lucky he'll develop a real taste for nori and it will be easier to catch him! Because I will catch him… it…is…ON! :owned:

In other news, don't you hate it when you clean the glass and go to take a FTS and one of your biggest corals closes up shop? Just like kids, ruining mom's picture by making faces. I swear.

It's just as well. I may have bought some exciting (for me) new corals :ninja: and it would be better to wait and take the FTS when they are ready for their debut. :haha:

• Like 6

I received an order from Unique Corals today. It was my second time ordering from them and they were wonderful yet again. I ordered three pieces and all three had polyp extension within 30 minutes of going into my tank. Nice big healthy pieces.

First is this Sunset Montipora. The picture is a little blurry, but the colors are bright and beautiful!

16150425039_299acaa1bd_z.jpg

I also ordered a Blue Voodoo Stag. My phone isn't picking up the light blue on the ends, but it is really pretty and colorful in person.

15714184684_a721fb94ae_z.jpg

FINALLY! The piece de resistance…. Thanks to the kind help (or enabling… I'm not sure which yet) offered by NanoFever, I learned that Unique Corals had the PINK STYLO that I'd been bugging Sk8n Reefer to frag for me. It is a beautiful peachy pink, darkening up to bright pink tips. Love it!!! :wub:

16150431419_afacc0663f_z.jpg

Hopefully it will grow up half as beautifully as yours Sk8n Reefer - then I will be happy! :happy:

And now for the January FTS:

https://flic.kr/p/qRjtJG'>16310676056_87ecae99e1_z.jpg

• Like 5

Take this statement for what it's worth, but catching crabs is such a pain! :lol: I ousted my red and green mithrax after a day or two in my tank because I was paranoid about them eating corals or fish. Only time I was irritated to get a freebie, since I only ordered the red one. Supposedly they're more reef-safe than the emeralds. Those buggers can hold onto rocks really tight! Good luck catching your red one if you decide to put him in the sump. I love my urchin for algae duty; wish they made 10g size ones :lol:

Very nice new additions! I'm not a big SPS person, but I keep looking at sticks for something blue.

• Like 1

I have not seen that crab once since he took the nori and ran...

I must have missed something on my unintended Nano-Reef hiatus - everyone's got cat-beards!
Shenanigans on Kat's thread. Join the fun! You have a cat, right?
  • Like 1
Awesome additions, glad you got your stylo! Everything looks great. So when can I start bugging you for a frag of that stylo? :)

I am glad too, thanks for the heads up! :flower:

Should be ready for fragging next weekend at the latest. ;)

• Like 1

I have not seen that crab once since he took the nori and ran...

Shenanigans on Kat's thread. Join the fun! You have a cat, right?

My cat was just too excited for cuddles. Cat fur all up in my face!

• Like 1

Beautiful! I love the new corals :wub: I keep visiting Unique Corals and drooling over their stuff but I haven't been able to order anything yet.

Thank you! My problem is that my eyes are bigger than my tank! I think I've stuffed it as full as it can go now. I have to leave room for these beauties to grow a little.

Take this statement for what it's worth, but catching crabs is such a pain! :lol: I ousted my red and green mithrax after a day or two in my tank because I was paranoid about them eating corals or fish. Only time I was irritated to get a freebie, since I only ordered the red one. Supposedly they're more reef-safe than the emeralds. Those buggers can hold onto rocks really tight! Good luck catching your red one if you decide to put him in the sump. I love my urchin for algae duty; wish they made 10g size ones :lol:

Very nice new additions! I'm not a big SPS person, but I keep looking at sticks for something blue.

Thank you! Yeah… I wasn't too sure about getting that free little red crab either. At the time I thought he was so little that the green crab would kill him. And now look at him! Gargantua! I'm keeping an eye on things and he is still behaving himself, but at least I know he can be bought with a little nori when the urge to grab him strikes.

great new corals! the new FTS is stunning.

Thank you! You can't see it in the FTS, but I've added a little GSP to the back wall - inspired by you! I hope it grows out as nicely as yours has. It was on a rock on the sandbed and my damsel kept digging and covering it up. Wasn't doing to well down there.

The new FTS has me jaw dropped. I applaud your artistic taste!

Thank you very much!

Hey congrats on the pink stylo!! Looks beautiful as does your fts!

Thank you sir! I was so happy to have found one (thanks to NanoFever)! Yours inspires me every time I see your tank.

Montipora update:

I love it when new corals settle in and act happy….

15719200624_284cf6c807_n.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you! You can't see it in the FTS, but I've added a little GSP to the back wall - inspired by you! I hope it grows out as nicely as yours has. It was on a rock on the sandbed and my damsel kept digging and covering it up. Wasn't doing to well down there.

awesome! i bet it will grow fast. they love to spread up toward the light

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again, care to share your storm controller settings?

My quad is a few weeks away, but I wouldn't mind knowing what your program is.

Thanks.

Sad news - Cinderella the flasher wrasse has gone to fishy heaven. And my clarkii is an a-hole. Big news, right? :tears:

So I think I mentioned that Fat Tony, my clarkii, was harassing the flasher and keeping him in his cave. I rearranged things a bit to move the clown's territory and the flasher emerged but stayed close to his cave. The clarkii left him alone for the most part but still chased him back to his cave periodically. No torn fins or real fighting just a chase. Cinderella though never swam around the tank flashing like he used to. I think he had PTSD and the stress just got to him. Or he injured himself jumping up against my screen top. He had no sign of disease or anything and his colors looked good. He was eating fine - even yesterday morning. Yesterday when I got the kids home from school, we noticed that he was just hanging near the top of the tank and he seemed weak, stressed and faded. I could tell that quarantine would be a waste of time, and nobody was bothering him so I left him alone. We left for my daughters dance class and when we returned he was already hermit food. Fortunately the kids didn't notice. Once they went to bed I tried to get the hermits off to get him out of the tank, but they were committed to the circle of life. I couldn't push them off. Tony the asshole clown, however, somehow got the hermits off because 10 minutes later I saw him take what was left of the wrasse and feed it to one of his 'nems. Seriously!! I mean, I know it's all the circle of life and all, but really? What a jerk! An awfully big meal for the anemone, but it seems fine today.

The good news is that Fat Tony doesn't bother the 6-line or the damsel, and I don't think he even knows the goby exists. She wouldn't take his crap anyway. ;)

My daughter is sad about her fish. I want to get something "pretty" for her. What do you all think - would a Royal Gramma hold it's own in my semi-aggressive tank? I've heard that they can be real jerks and I think that is what I need. Also I think I need something that swims around in the rocks and not in the upper water column where it will get Fat Tony's attention. I've been wanting to get a chalk bass or two, but I'm afraid that they would be too timid. Recommendations?

Heywooood - I don't know what my light settings are off hand, but I will check later when I do my water change and let you know!

Hi again, care to share your storm controller settings?

My quad is a few weeks away, but I wouldn't mind knowing what your program is.

Thanks.

For a long while I was running at 160 blue/80 white, but I started to feel like that was too blue for me. I like a brighter more natural and warm look. I recently switched to 160/160 and I like it much better. So far everything seems happy - I moved a couple of pieces into shadier spots before making the change. Compare:

Last month's FTS at 160/80

16310676056_87ecae99e1.jpg

This morning at 160/160

16464423795_dfb1ccc930.jpg

• Like 2

Aww, poor Cinderella. It seems like the majority of accounts I've read say their royal grammas were easily bullied by anything "semi-aggressive."

Wow, the change in your lights is huge. I looked at the first pic and thought, "that's sort of white," then saw the new lighting and was like, "whoa!" Still getting used to my Tide and how white it is even when blues are double the whites. Never realized just how "purple" the Razor 16k is.

• Like 1

I just caught up - so sorry about Cinderella :(

But the whiter setting looks really great! I tried similar settings on my Nanobox too, but I eventually went back to the bluer setting. I couldn't get the acans to color up properly and I couldn't keep the brighter whites from making everything recede. You've inspired me to try again :)

• Like 1