Cultivated Reef

TigerLily's IM 30L - Happy Tankiversary!

TigerLily

It's been crazy around here with the kids out of school! Only a few more days and they go back. I CAN'T WAIT!

Last weekend was my tank's ONE YEAR TANKIVERSARY! I did find time to get a few new pics in honor of the occasion… Starting with the FTS:

20640998241_b15ed0f574_b.jpg

I've made a few changes. I was out of town for the month of July and the owner of the LFS here stopped by once a week to take care of the tank for me. He made a few suggestions for placement. He thought my anemones were getting too much light and my torch not enough - so I switched them. The torch seems happy, but my anemones still look like crap so who knows. The first time he visited he sent me an email that he saw montipora eating nudis in the tank! :o I still have not seen any, but I did come home to dead spots on my big purple cap. The smaller plating monti's seem unaffected and healthy, so I'll be watching that one.

The tank was in pretty good shape when I got home - it was nice to have someone who knows tanks changing the water and checking on things once a week.

When I got home I bought my tank a few anniversary presents as well - a new mint tip torch to join the old one in its new spot, a new trumpet coral to balance out the one I had on the right side, some new purple and green blastos and a few new zoas.

Here are the close ups...

In the center right are the pink stylo, acans with the torches in the background.

20447648929_a983b2fee7_z.jpg

In the center on the arch are the katropora, setosa and pavona. To the right are the hammer and froggie and below is my big brain taking up the whole sandbed! Evidently my damsel wants to be in every picture!

20013411333_d307b778c6_z.jpg

On the left of the tank is the huge toadstool, which I really should frag because it is just too big anymore and pressed up against the glass - but I'm chicken! Right above it are the new blastos - so little and cute!

20013388463_7a52201237_z.jpg

My chalice seemed to grow a ton while I was gone and the sunset monti that was near it was totally dead when I got back. I don't think it was nudis. I think the chalice stung it to death! The zoas, however, seem unaffected and the chalice is growing around them. I may have to move the big red blastos out of the way soon though if the chalice keeps growing so fast. Here's another view of the right side showing the chalice.

20013367453_677aab15bd_z.jpg

When I came home I found my little tort frag upside-down in the sandbed. I cleared a place for it down near the clam so it could recover. It's color looks awful, but it still has nice green polyp extension so my fingers are crossed for it. My stag was also knocked off the rocks and it fell right into a mushroom. It started stn-ing and despite my attempts to frag off the dead parts, I couldn't save it. I don't know exactly who was knocking frags off their rocks, but I have my suspicions and my urchin is now permanently banned to the back of the tank.

20013397123_39880d0f65_z.jpg

And finally, some shots of the right side, showing my sad un-bubble tips. Of course the prettier one had to crawl around to the back, and I'm stuck looking at the really stringy one - oh well.

20634333645_a6b8f4dd48.jpg

20625218602_9316636ea4.jpg

That is it for today! Hopefully with the kids back in school I will have time to update a little more often!

• Like 8

Looking good! My guess is your right about the chalice. My miami hurricane chalice is getting huge and has huge sweepers at night. It almost killed a couple of Acros but I was able to move them in time.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday to the tank, everything is looking happy, the tort should recover eventually. I've heard Chalices can be nasty but so far mine have played nice, but yes it is the culprit for stinging your montipora. They play nice with zoas though, one of mine has palys growing all around and it does fine. The Kat is encrusting like a mother! Hope you see some vertical growth soon, the color looks fantastic though.

• Like 1

Looking great! I didn't know you had more than one Chalk bass ?. Great FTS. Really like your tank- the corals are growing into a very natural looking tank. Hope your lfs guy is wrong about the monti eating nudi's - keep a close eye out........I know you will ?

• Like 1

wow, the tank looks great! everything is filling in really nice.

Thank you Ninja! What you don't see in the pics is that I also bought a few new GSP frags and leaned them up against the back wall… I'm still trying to copy your back wall of GSP! :wub: Unfortunately my damsel and Tony the evil clown keep trying to bury the frags. :furious:

Amazing tank! Love seeing how it has matured over time.

-Dave

Thank you Dave! Everything is doing really well - and your amazing light has a lot to do with that! :flower:

Looking good! My guess is your right about the chalice. My miami hurricane chalice is getting huge and has huge sweepers at night. It almost killed a couple of Acros but I was able to move them in time.

Thank you! I had my green digi up above the chalice on the left side where the new trumpets are. When I got back from vacation I noticed a white spot near its base. It would have been a long stretch for the chalice, but I figured better safe than sorry. I moved the green digi over to the right side by the orange digi and replaced it with the new trumpets. Their fleshy part is up higher so they should stay out of chalice range! :P

Happy Birthday to the tank, everything is looking happy, the tort should recover eventually. I've heard Chalices can be nasty but so far mine have played nice, but yes it is the culprit for stinging your montipora. They play nice with zoas though, one of mine has palys growing all around and it does fine. The Kat is encrusting like a mother! Hope you see some vertical growth soon, the color looks fantastic though.

Thanks Kat! :) When I noticed that the chalice was growing around and not killing the zoas I started to build a wall of zoas around it. ;) Maybe that will protect my other corals a little. And yes - the Kat keeps encrusting! I feel like the color is deepening. It is not quite as neon green as it was. Maybe that's the purple coming back a little? The encrusting is getting pretty lumpy, so I'm hopeful that something will sprout upwards soon. fingerscrossed

Looking great! I didn't know you had more than one Chalk bass ?. Great FTS. Really like your tank- the corals are growing into a very natural looking tank. Hope your lfs guy is wrong about the monti eating nudi's - keep a close eye out........I know you will ?

Hi Sk8r! Thanks! Yes, I have a pair of Chalk Bass - love them. I am definitely going for a natural, grown together look. I just need to keep myself from buying more stuff and let what I have grow!

Amazing tank! I have to read up from the beginning!

Thank you! Welcome to my tank.

• Like 2

Looking beautiful! I love how grown in it all looks! That giant toadstool is pretty awesome! I'm surprised it hasn't fragged itself yet. Mine drops off a bunch of babies every time it gets very big.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...