Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TigerLily's IM 30L - Happy Tankiversary!

TigerLily

Nano sapiens

Good morning reef people! I am back and the reef is still in one piece... More or less. ;)

16194527265_da3d4802cc_z.jpg

I had a few frags knocked over by my monster crabs and I think I've finally lost the Duncan that was limping along since the phosphate pads fiasco, but a few other things are looking better. My torch has recovered enough to make it back to the front of the tank. It's smaller than it was but looking good. My feather duster looks huge. It built about 2 inches of new tube to propel itself out of its cave a little more and it's really looking nice and feathery.

The other corals are looking about how they were before I left. The katropora is still fluorescent green and the other SPS is looking good except for the monticap, which had some die off around the edges. I trimmed it back and will keep an eye on things. I don't see any pests, but who knows.

The fish and inverts seem to all be fine except that my flasher wrasse has been in hiding. He pokes his head out of his cave and he's come out to eat, but he's not out swimming like usual. Before I left he was pretty aggressive, especially with the 6-line. Maybe he got the tables turned on himself? Another thing to keep an eye on.

And finally, what would you do about this sponge? It's interesting looking and has been growing like crazy on my back glass and under the monti. Generally I leave sponges alone, but I'm afraid this one may get out of control. Would you yank it out? It looks a little like demented spaghetti... You can see it in the middle of this picture under the monti.

15575062263_cc31130f8a_z.jpg

Unless a sponge is too near a coral, I basically leave it alone. These leggy sponges can be trimmed easily if they start to get out of hand.

Oh, and wrasses are :blink:

I did just a 3 gallon WC today - vacuumed the sand bed a bit. I'll do a bigger one in a few days, but I didn't want to shock anything by moving too fast.

Thanks! The sponge is already on the rock under the monti - I will pull as much of it out as I can when I do my next water change in a few days. I read something on these forums - maybe Nano Sapiens thread - where there were sponges toxic to close by corals. I'll have to go back and see if I can find that. Maybe that's why the monti had some die-off on the edges?

I have the fuzzy pink sponges too! These are definitely weird and different though. I'll try to get some better pics when I go to clean them out.

That is probably a good idea I suppose, maybe I should do that too instead of a huge WC.

Did you enjoy your trip? Or were you also suffering from tank withdrawal? :P

Did another water change - 4 gallons and a good vacuuming of the sandbed. The corals are looking happier each time they get some new water. ;)

That is probably a good idea I suppose, maybe I should do that too instead of a huge WC.

Did you enjoy your trip? Or were you also suffering from tank withdrawal? :P

I did enjoy, thank you! I was also suffering from tank withdrawal… and puppy withdrawal… :lol:

I am still trying to figure out why the flasher wrasse is in hiding. After today's water change, I think I've found the culprit. The wrasse's cave is under the rock all the way on the right of the tank - on the anemone side. The wrasse was acting a little bolder with my hand and the siphon in the tank, so he kept trying to come out - our mafioso Tony Clarkii would chase him back in each time. Jerk. :furious: Tony has never bit me, so I was just pushing him (gently) back to his anemone each time he would lunge at the wrasse. The wrasse seemed to know I was protecting him and he stayed right by my hand. Cute, like a puppy. :wub:

After the water change I moved some rocks around to keep Tony away from Cinderella's cave. I switched the rock with the anemones with the Euphyllia rocks. I'll have to get used to how it looks now, but hopefully the corals will be happy there. Tony is lovin' on his anemones and Cinderella is slowly poking his head out of this cave more and more - without being chased back in. Hopefully this aggression problem is solved. fingerscrossed Tony is getting big though. I'm sure this won't be our last problem with him. BTW - will he turn female if he is the only Clarkii in the tank? He was definitely a male at the LFS - in with a huge and very mean female.

• Like 3

It's so frustrating when these darn fish can't get along! I'm dealing with wrasse bullying too :(.

Isn't it!?! I saw that your cardinal is giving your pinkie a hard time. Booo! I love your pink streaked wrasse. I hope you catch the meanie soon!

• Like 1

It's so frustrating when these darn fish can't get along! I'm dealing with wrasse bullying too :(.

Why can't they all be friends?? I think my firefish is being a meanie to my blenny...

• Like 3

Why can't they all be friends?? I think my firefish is being a meanie to my blenny...

I wish they would be friendlier. Mean fish are no fun!

• Like 2

Isn't it!?! I saw that your cardinal is giving your pinkie a hard time. Booo! I love your pink streaked wrasse. I hope you catch the meanie soon!

It's actually my leopard wrasse that she's picking on. If it was Pinky, I'd be harpooning that cardinal instead of kindly catching it with a barbless hook LOL.

When fish fight it totally ruins the tranquil feeling I get when looking at my reef...which makes me mad :angry::lol:.

• Like 4

I'm glad the corals are doing better! I hope the new arrangement will result in an attitude adjustment for Tony :)

Me too! On both counts. ;)

It's actually my leopard wrasse that she's picking on. If it was Pinky, I'd be harpooning that cardinal instead of kindly catching it with a barbless hook LOL.

When fish fight it totally ruins the tranquil feeling I get when looking at my reef...which makes me mad :angry::lol:.

Ah. Good. I mean, I like the leopard wrasse, but that Pinky is my favorite! :lol:

• Like 3

Felt like taking a few pictures today...

My newly resurrected torch and my now HUGE red mithrax. This thing was so small when I got it, and it's molted twice and grown enormous!

15604495714_01d4e4b1c0_z.jpg

Fat Tony in his un-bubble-tips :P

16040797329_c329bd5c29_z.jpg

The Tracy Morgonian, feeling fancy...

16039532180_cea6c76487_z.jpg

Acan Island

16226895735_03e2c02077_z.jpg

I love this clam. The colors are really true in this pic.

16039534010_54c1f1445a_z.jpg

And finally, a little Euphyllia love… They seem OK in their new spot although I may need to scoot them over a little more to keep them away from the nems.

15607051343_5a4e33f99f_z.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great! That's great timing on posting that beautiful pic of the acan island. That's exactly what I am hoping to do in my tank with my new frags but I hadn't seen any pictures that looked like what I had in mind until you posted this one. Thanks :) :) :)

• Like 2

wow, the pattern and color on that clam is crazy! and love how u mix the frogspawn / hammer together

Thank you! That clam is so awesome. So many colors and shades of blue. I think I should name it.

The frog and hammer are actually on two separate rocks. I wanted to be able to separate them just in case they didn't love each other- but they do! I love how they look together when they are both acting fluffy.

Looks great! That's great timing on posting that beautiful pic of the acan island. That's exactly what I am hoping to do in my tank with my new frags but I hadn't seen any pictures that looked like what I had in mind until you posted this one. Thanks :) :) :)

Yay! I'm glad you like it! I'm hoping that island will just be a big pillowy mound of acans one day.

• Like 1

Great pictures! I love Fat tony :P

I take it the hammer and frogspawn don't sting eachother?

I was wondering if the hammer I've got might have killed my torch.

And your crab has grown huge! Is he still behaving well?

• Like 1

Everything in your tank looks so nice. That is a beauty of a clam. I'd kind of like to get another clam, something with a lot of pretty colors like yours. I have a purple-ish blue crocea now that I call Clammy. I've had it for 2 years and it's grown 2".

• Like 1