SaltCritters.com

TigerLily's IM 30L - Happy Tankiversary!

TigerLily

Lovely pictures! The clam, acans, hammer/frogspawn, and gorg are especially nice!!

Thank you Kimber! When are you getting your Tracy Morgonian? :P

Those acan are so fat and happy.

Thanks! I snapped them at a good moment.

Wow your zoas look amazing. Wish I could keep them, they don't like my tank for some reason and end up transforming to something ugly lol.

Thank you! Most of my zoas are doing great - I have trouble with some of the red/yellow morphs though. They just fade away...

Great pictures! I love Fat tony :P

I take it the hammer and frogspawn don't sting eachother?

I was wondering if the hammer I've got might have killed my torch.

And your crab has grown huge! Is he still behaving well?

Thank you! From what I've read, hammers and froggies are OK together. I put them on separate rocks just in case I had to move them apart, but they seem pretty happy. I've heard that torches don't play nicely though, so I keep the torch isolated. Maybe your hammer and torch got into it?

So far the crabs are behaving themselves. I don't suspect them of picking on any corals. I do find things knocked around and turned over though. I think they can be a little rough in their clean up duties! I'll do some major glueing down this weekend.

Tank is looking good, that clam is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Kat!

So jelly of that clam! And there's something about nems and their clowns that makes me all :wub:

Thank you! Yes, Tony's cuteness with his nem helps to redeem him for being a royal butthead. :lol:

Everything in your tank looks so nice. That is a beauty of a clam. I'd kind of like to get another clam, something with a lot of pretty colors like yours. I have a purple-ish blue crocea now that I call Clammy. I've had it for 2 years and it's grown 2".

Thank you! I need to come up with a name for that clam. I love how it goes from Navy and peach on the outside to electric blue inside. I hope mine grows a lot too. Any clam secrets? :ninja:

GORGEOUS Lily!!!! All of it!!!! Can't even tell you ran into some problems not long ago :).

Thanks Gena! I had some sad losses, but what is left is doing really well. No more phosphate removers for me! I'll just do a gazillion water changes instead. B)

Awesome tank! :D

Thank you so much!

Beautiful tank. I was looking at IM products before the wedge fell in my lap.

Thank you! That wedge is pretty awesome. I can't wait to see you fill it up!

Love your tank tigerlily...beautiful scape and coral

Thank you! I've been lurking on your thread. Your tank is quite the inspiration! Must…get…more…gorgs…. ;)

• Like 3

The only clam secrets I know is don't strip your water completely of nutrients. I use tap water so it has some phosphates in it and my seahorses make some nitrates although I like those to be below 10ppm. I think as the clam grows it depends more on light to nourish it. I am sure you will do fine. :-)

• Like 2

Thank you Kimber! When are you getting your Tracy Morgonian? :P

When it warms up! Wind chills were crazy today!!

I'll have to wait for spring, and it will probably go in my new (hopefully) tank!

• Like 1

Hey hey,

I have a quick question about your brain coral - on the righthand corner of your sig.

I think I have the same one, it is a similar structure and colour, and I was wondering whether you also have problems with sweeper tentacles and whether you feed it?

Mine grows in a literal brain shape, so it seems the green parts are smaller than yours.

It has coloured up a lot in the new tank but I would like to make it a bit puffier... How do you take care of yours?

Thanks! ~ Hester

• Like 2

Hey hey,

I have a quick question about your brain coral - on the righthand corner of your sig.

I think I have the same one, it is a similar structure and colour, and I was wondering whether you also have problems with sweeper tentacles and whether you feed it?

Mine grows in a literal brain shape, so it seems the green parts are smaller than yours.

It has coloured up a lot in the new tank but I would like to make it a bit puffier... How do you take care of yours?

Thanks! ~ Hester

I'm not sure I have very good advice. I don't do much to take care of that coral. In the past I've done a few nighttime broadcast feedings of cyclops and coral gumbo to take advantage of the feeder tentacles that come out at night, but not much else.

I actually have three pieces of it. My husband bought it and it was way too big so I took a dremel to it. :blink: I have the large piece on the right and a smaller piece on the left. There is a really small piece off to the back that you can't see. I do have trouble with sweepers and I think the piece on the left killed some of my fire and ice zoas. I scraped what was left of the zoas off the nearby rock and relocated them. They've bounced back fine. Since my tank crash I haven't noticed much in the way of feeder or sweeper tentacles from any of the bits of that coral and less green is showing than before. The maroon part is still really puffy though. I just try to keep it in a low light-low flow part of the tank. If I start seeing feeder tentacles again I will do the occasional night feed for it - until then, it's on its own! ;)

• Like 2

I also have a green and maroon brain coral that I've had for 2 years Valentine's day. Mine is also brain shaped and I also do absolutely nothing special for it. Mine is in moderate flow on the sand bed and a low/moderate light. I have found it to be a very easy coral to care for. Whenever it occasionally looks deflated I up my WC schedule just a bit and that always fixes it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I have very good advice. I don't do much to take care of that coral. In the past I've done a few nighttime broadcast feedings of cyclops and coral gumbo to take advantage of the feeder tentacles that come out at night, but not much else.

I actually have three pieces of it. My husband bought it and it was way too big so I took a dremel to it. :blink: I have the large piece on the right and a smaller piece on the left. There is a really small piece off to the back that you can't see. I do have trouble with sweepers and I think the piece on the left killed some of my fire and ice zoas. I scraped what was left of the zoas off the nearby rock and relocated them. They've bounced back fine. Since my tank crash I haven't noticed much in the way of feeder or sweeper tentacles from any of the bits of that coral and less green is showing than before. The maroon part is still really puffy though. I just try to keep it in a low light-low flow part of the tank. If I start seeing feeder tentacles again I will do the occasional night feed for it - until then, it's on its own! ;)

I also have a green and maroon brain coral that I've had for 2 years Valentine's day. Mine is also brain shaped and I also do absolutely nothing special for it. Mine is in moderate flow on the sand bed and a low/moderate light. I have found it to be a very easy coral to care for. Whenever it occasionally looks deflated I up my WC schedule just a bit and that always fixes it.

Thanks guys! It seems I'm doing it right then :) The coral does grow on the lightest side the most, so maybe I can move it out of the shade a bit.

• Like 1

Quick question, how would you describe the fan noise from the Quad fixture? I'm right on the cusp of ordering, which in canadian dollars at the moment is a serious investment, and I just want to ensure that there are no surprises.

Thanks!

Quick question, how would you describe the fan noise from the Quad fixture? I'm right on the cusp of ordering, which in canadian dollars at the moment is a serious investment, and I just want to ensure that there are no surprises.

Thanks!

The fan is definitely audible, but my skimmer is way louder. When I turn my skimmer off, the noise level goes way, way down. The soft hum of the fan doesn't bother me at all… But this is coming from a lady with three kids. I may be immune to noise. ;)

http://vimeo.com/116825832

At around :36 I turn the skimmer off and at :55 I turn it back on so you can see the difference and get a feel for the noise. Sorry about the banging around and kid noise in the background!

• Like 3
That's not bad at all- nice movement around the tank. I like that brain in the bottom- quick shot of it- got some great color

Thanks! My first attempt at a video of the tank. It seems to work ok so maybe soon I'll take another with clean glass and without me juggling my phone around to open the stand and turn things off and on! ;)

• Like 1

Thank you, I have 3 kids as well so there is always a degree of ambient noise around the house that would likely drown out the fans.

Your build is inspirational and has helped me decide that the 30L and Nanobox Quad is exactly what I want to start with, so thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Aw, shucks :flower:

And you are so welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions. I love the length of the tank and the swimming room it gives the fish. The only thing I miss is the depth. But to get a tank this long and for it to also be deep, you're looking at a much bigger setup, and I just wasn't ready for that. Overall I really like my build - except for the IM skimmer. It's noisy and it doesn't seem to do much - although I've heard that nano skimmers are all a little problematic. I'd get the Tunze if I had to do it over. Actually, I may get the Tunze and just ditch the IM.

That's a beautiful video. There is so much going on in your tank - movement, colors, and such a variety of textures and shapes. I love the clowns playing in their nem too :wub:

• Like 1

That's a beautiful video. There is so much going on in your tank - movement, colors, and such a variety of textures and shapes. I love the clowns playing in their nem too :wub:

Thank you! I think when it is "official" FTS this month I'll do another video. Now that I've figured out how to post one it's easy.

How does the Talbots Damsel behave?

Like a model citizen. It is my most peaceful fish, but not timid. Always swimming around in the open. I don't know how he would do with cardinals or other less aggressive fish - he's in there with a mean clown, wrasses and a goby who stands up for herself. I suspect he would be peaceful regardless of who his tankmates are. Love him.

• Like 3

I have crazy glue on my manicure. :rant: Reefer problems.

So, how big do red mithrax crabs get? I can look it up, obviously - but I'm interested to hear experiences because what the internets say and what really happens aren't always the same.

I ordered an emerald crab from KPA in November. They sent me a freebie - as the always do (they rock BTW) - which was a tiny little red mithrax. Way smaller than the emerald they sent. I wasn't sure I wanted two crabs, but I put them both in and hoped that the little one wouldn't get eaten by anything.

It has become a monster. :eek: It has molted three times and is so much bigger than the emerald now, it's silly. I found a molt this morning that is about an inch across - and the crab itself was hiding behind my little bubble tip. That BTA is easily 2 inches across and the crab is just as big. Is this normal? Do I have a mutant? :P

16292906951_6585060de4_z.jpg

Last question… How the hell do they get out of their old shells? Every molt I've found has been whole. Looks like a complete crab except it's missing eyes. It's a little bit freaky.

• Like 3

KPA sent me a free emerald when I ordered my red mithrax, and the sizes of mine are the exact opposite of yours. My red mithrax is less than an inch, but the emerald is at least as big as your red one :)

However, my red mithrax has molted once, and I've never found a shell from the green emerald, so he might be trying to catch up :unsure:

I've wondered the same thing about how they molt. Basically, they just kind of back out of the shell like a spandex suit. Here's a cool video:

• Like 2

KPA sent me a free emerald when I ordered my red mithrax, and the sizes of mine are the exact opposite of yours. My red mithrax is less than an inch, but the emerald is at least as big as your red one :)

However, my red mithrax has molted once, and I've never found a shell from the green emerald, so he might be trying to catch up :unsure:

I've wondered the same thing about how they molt. Basically, they just kind of back out of the shell like a spandex suit. Here's a cool video:

That was very cool. And it's so much bigger when it comes out! Like it was busting at the seams.

I guess our freebie crabs are doing their best to impress and not go back to the LFS! :happy:

• Like 2

I caught the little tiny innocent looking green crab eating my zoas!!!! He can consider himself sumped! (As soon as I figure out how to catch him)

• Like 1