Pod Your Reef

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

Everything is looking fabulous! But like you said don't tweak it too much, adjust and observe for say 7-10days. Little adjustments would probably be key. Side question, are you still running bio pellets? Recently watched a 30min video from melvesreef about them and was fairly enlighting.

• Like 1

Everything is looking fabulous! But like you said don't tweak it too much, adjust and observe for say 7-10days. Little adjustments would probably be key. Side question, are you still running bio pellets? Recently watched a 30min video from melvesreef about them and was fairly enlighting.

Hey thanks.

The only thing I'm running for nutrient reduction is 3 drops of PhosphateRX daily, the skimmer, and a reactor full of matrix. I don't talk about the Matrix much because I didn't think it worked but after 4 months my nitrates fell and have never recovered.

I will never run GFO again.

I will never run biopellets again.

PhosphateRx (lanthanum) is just awesome. I'm sure there is precipitate in the sump and perhaps in the display but it doesn't bother anything and religious daily dosing ensures a very steady PO4 level.

• Like 1

I can't believe the PE you have on the Katropora! I would love PE like that especially since the polyps are purple or sometimes they show blue under the lights. Your colony looks like it is gearing to take off with growth very soon.

• Like 1

Just a week with the new NanoBox hybrid light and the changes from the top are pretty striking. There are some color balance issues here but IMO not only are the corals more colorful the camera is able to capture them better.

MBTRUgD.jpg

HbZK2SP.jpg

But forget how saturated the Katropora is starting to look. My Red Robin is turning red! :haha:

JqCzwCJ.jpg

Almost every coral looks better, and most look more saturated with healthy puffy skin.

vG0hHEG.jpg

Maybe I can learn to like the SSC.

1AuRMon.jpg

yOXWphz.jpg

K6akSzI.jpg

Not every coral has responded yet.

This one looks basically the same as the last time I took a top down. Photo might have more contrast.

8kmketa.jpg

Cousin It is ... well ....

4qAheOu.jpg

My blue/green setting do seem to be having a positive impact on the two maricultured frags. The bases are green, the tips are a light blue, and everything else is brown.

5Yy9V3j.jpg

• Like 11

A few more.

Birdsnest showing more florescence.

wJOo5iM.jpg

I was taking a pic of the Meteor Shower when I noticed an odd red something beside it.

YUy9lct.jpg

How did this get there???

nfPNuCD.jpg

I thought the purple cap was winning this war but it appears the red might be gaining the upper hand.

9GqHWIv.jpg

Orchid Stylo

s8ln81L.jpg

• Like 12

Looking great Mark, whatever your doing is working. Cant wait to get my NB

Thanks Arce.

Anemone split last night, now I have two. Not happy.

Color is still increasing, over the last 3 days it's really taken off.

• Like 2

Ok,

I took my big 2 magnet frag rock, put it on the workbench, and gave it a swift hit with the rubber mallet. 2 frag rocks. :D

Put one behind the valley so it appears to be connected and placed my 2 largest purple stylo frags on the rock.

MCb3EiZ.jpg

Next up I found a nice small rock and jammed it into the purple cap where it fit perfectly. Mounted the UC Wild orchid acro to get some green in front of the mass of purple.

sgxJXuT.jpg

I kept getting blinded by the SSC so pulled out the macro lens and took some pics. This is just flat out insanity, I want all my corals to show these colors.

VB5fEWu.jpg

Can't quite capture it but the growing edge is a rich blue.

yyDMSe4.jpg

... and I disliked this color not more than 10 days ago.

• Like 10

You have been assimilated. Welcome to the Nano-Box fan club. :naughtydance:

So I think the new spectrum is activating different pigments. Whether for real like as in all sciency stuff or just visually. It's awesome.

You remember my TOTM essay? I said this light is probably the #1 reason my corals are happy. It is very true. Dave has the magic sauce.

Don;t try to get the duds to color up - the majority of your tank is thriving, keep it steady whatever it is.

• Like 3

The anemone, well both of them, is gone. Having one wander is bad enough, having both start to walk is the final straw.

Left side now has some sticks and such for a few more coral placements plus I removed a few of the blue stag sticks to make even more room.

MWGTPkM.jpg

The blue stag frags are temporary down on the left, I haven't decided what to do with them yet.

I picked up a rainbow Acan

x6Jwsj8.jpg

And one of the few SPS I completely lost during the crash, a Bird of Paradise.

1KfUBpO.jpg

• Like 7

Amazing pictures mark! Tank is looking stellar!

Thanks Roger.

So here is part of the left side. New Rainbow Acan with the others, Red Dragon in back along with some kind of encrusting green monti (might be a capitata) and a superman shroom rescued from the Xenia. Above the shroom is an undata that I hope will be the most striking coral on this side once it grows bigger.

nX5nftv.jpg

Two frags that graduated from the racks onto the rocks. This is a maricultured that is showing hints of good color. Base has bright green and blue, tips are a very nice blue.

4fmYseQ.jpg

This one should be pink with some green and blue. The parent colony looked great under 20K halide. I got this a day before the tank started to go downhill. it receded but has since grown over much of the dead areas.

f9YaCLR.jpg

Right side pic. Katropora still too dark from the front due to the way it's been growing, and the super hairy polyps, but it's looking better very day. The peach dragon is a novelty. Sticks out like a sore thumb making it interesting, but the color .... :D

myzYxYd.jpg

• Like 9

Looks awesome! How are the rainbow acans doing? Are they keeping their color?

So far so good. I think they look better with the LED's, a little more pop.

• Like 1

Right at 200, 195 down in the sand, 225 up near the tiny ponape bird.

That's good to know, then. Mine were under about 200 PAR when they lost color, and I've suspected that there's more to it than just how much PAR they are under. In a small shallow tank like my 10g, it's hard to have high PAR up top for SPS while having low PAR at the bottom. There's just not enough depth or spread to attenuate the lighting that much. But 200 or a little less on the sandbed is definitely doable.

• Like 1

The light is off, can't connect to the server and it looks like it lost the program. I was trying to make a change when something happened so i re-blinked up which seemed to work, but it can't retrieve the program from the grand internet of things.

jedimasterben

According to EI all three server branches are operational. They'll be performing maintenance tomorrow, but hasn't started yet. Very strange.

• Like 1

The light is off, can't connect to the server and it looks like it lost the program. I was trying to make a change when something happened so i re-blinked up which seemed to work, but it can't retrieve the program from the grand internet of things.

Thats a coincidence, mine wasnt working either kept saying it was offline. Didnt lose the prgram tho.

• Like 1

According to EI all three server branches are operational. They'll be performing maintenance tomorrow, but hasn't started yet. Very strange.

I pulled the card, put it back in, restarted the house wireless, then re-did blinkup. It blinked, light changed to solid, app said configuring and then setting up server and gets stuck. I think this means the controller and the app talked to each other but it can't connect to EI or wherever.

Now I can login but error is unable to connect to server.