inTank Media Baskets

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

You're brave, lime that high makes everything look brown in my tank.

Hmm, interesting. Running whites over 25 looks like puke to my eyes, lime just makes it brighter without adding much color.

• Like 1

My second Tunze pump is stuck in UPS hell so I installed one of my 5 idle wp25's. Kind of falling in love with the original Jaebo pumps again. :D I know it will lose power but these things are beasts when first setup. Top of the water is rocking and rolling again and lots of chaotic flow all the way to the sandbed.

• Like 2

I think I'm the only one that prefers Dave's pucks when they were two channel. So easy to get a color that looked good and grew stuff like crazy.

Oh no. 4 channel is the bomb. Of course that was before I discovered Markalots 5 channel :angry:

My stuff grows extremely well. :)

Don't worry Kat, my arrays are white/lime also. We can be sooky together lol.

4-channel dimming buddies. :wub:

• Like 3

5 channels is hell, all these choices. I so envy those with less channels. :owned:

Running a puketastic Aqua Blue special with a purple, 2 blues, and then LED's should achieve a similar look. The ABS is full of green.

My Quad from Dave will also have Lime on the 5th channel. Key Lime pie.

• Like 4

It is such a double ended sword. I loved two channels as if allowed for less "what am I doing". However the color with more channels looks even better. I still make dual channels for people.

I think I'm the only one that prefers Dave's pucks when they were two channel. So easy to get a color that looked good and grew stuff like crazy.

BAHAHAHA!

giphy.gif

THAT'S JUST WRONG. DAVE YOU HEAR ME!!!!

GRRRRR

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Really, if you want to pretend you have dual channel, just move your white, lime, and violet channels to the same intensity, and the blue/cyan and royal blue channels together. Boom, instant dual channel. :P

• Like 3

Really, if you want to pretend you have dual channel, just move your white, lime, and violet channels to the same intensity, and the blue/cyan and royal blue channels together. Boom, instant dual channel. :P

I agree with running violet along with the whites, which brings up the fact a lot of folks like to run violets with the blues. I'm not sure this harms the corals but those violets and near UV only penetrate the water during the day, not at night. I would thing the corals might not like it too much but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of this.

I let the T5 provide violet and tend to keep the LED violet channel at 25% or less. Maybe stupid?

jedimasterben

I agree with running violet along with the whites, which brings up the fact a lot of folks like to run violets with the blues. I'm not sure this harms the corals but those violets and near UV only penetrate the water during the day, not at night. I would thing the corals might not like it too much but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of this.

I let the T5 provide violet and tend to keep the LED violet channel at 25% or less. Maybe stupid?

At that point you're essentially adding no PAR from their addition, so might as well not even run them. People make a big deal over violet LEDs but there is no data to show that they add any additional coloration to any corals, and while PerCP has a shoulder around 430nm, they don't seem to affect growth when adding up to the same total PAR made up by other LED colors in their absence. They also have no fluorescing effect when any other light source is on. I used to be a big advocate for MOAR VIOLET, MOOOOOAARRR, but now I just don't think it's necessary.

• Like 1

At that point you're essentially adding no PAR from their addition, so might as well not even run them. People make a big deal over violet LEDs but there is no data to show that they add any additional coloration to any corals, and while PerCP has a shoulder around 430nm, they don't seem to affect growth when adding up to the same total PAR made up by other LED colors in their absence. They also have no fluorescing effect when any other light source is on. I used to be a big advocate for MOAR VIOLET, MOOOOOAARRR, but now I just don't think it's necessary.

I can;t prove it but I think running the violet channel too high has been bleaching my spongodes. It seems directly related, even though the PAR must be negligible. This was with the BML's which have 420's and 405's IIRC.

jedimasterben

I can;t prove it but I think running the violet channel too high has been bleaching my spongodes. It seems directly related, even though the PAR must be negligible. This was with the BML's which have 420's and 405's IIRC.

I wouldn't assume that is the cause. PAR isn't weighted by any metric, even though a 430nm photon has an energy of 2.8eV and a 660nm red photon only has 2.2eV. Total PAR is the important number.

• Like 1

Sitting in front of the tank. LED's only after 8PM, and I have cloud mode on so the lights occasionally dim down as clouds pass by. :D 60 minute ramp down to all blues. All lights off at 10:30PM.

I emailed BRS about the stuck Tunze, they are 1 day shipping a replacement since UPS can't seem to handle delivering it.

I called UPS and started getting pretty ticked off when the second person told me ... oh look, it's ok, it's scheduled for delivery today.

Really, how nice. So you can look at the history, right? How many days has it been scheduled for delivery?

Oh.

Shouldn't something have triggered at this point?

• Like 2

One more thing. The slimer has turned impossible green again and is really starting to take off. It's just a big ole green stick but it makes me happy when it's happy.

• Like 3

BUDS!

Popping out all over the older branches on the big Katropora.

JcyimEG.jpg

Took some coral videos, not macros, that turned out ok.

• Like 2

I've been reading this:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/12/lighting

Trying not to tweak the lights too much.

I was struck at the actual 10 feet measurements of light in the reef, showing the peak is more in the green than the blue.

DsjoVYi.png

For coral coloration I think this is relatively meaningless, but I can't stand the purplish look of Royal Blue an so be tweaking the blue LED's and adding Lime I'm able to get a nice even blue without the purple tints. Corals still look good and I'm happy to learn this is probably a more natural spectrum than one super heavy in dark blue light.

• Like 2