ReefCleaners.org

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

I am so behind! This upgrade is coming along so well! You have such a knack for taking stunning photos :)

Thanks Felicia, nice to see you around. :)

I've got some PAR numbers in print, finally. I own a PAR meter and I did this a month or so ago but I did a video without sound so I had to go by memory. This time I made a video with sound and wrote down the measured values on this photo.

Gz8yhi.jpg

The Katropora is showing yet another set of colors. This time more green and less purple, but both are more vibrant than a week ago. At the same time I have some other corals showing some lightening so I've dimmed the whites to max out at 80% rather than 90% for a while to see what happens.

muok8k.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Felicia, nice to see you around. :)

I've got some PAR numbers in print, finally. I own a PAR meter and I did this a month or so ago but I did a video without sound so I had to go by memory. This time I made a video with sound and wrote down the measured values on this photo.

Gz8yhi.jpg

The Katropora is showing yet another set of colors. This time more green and less purple, but both are more vibrant than a week ago. At the same time I have some other corals showing some lightening so I've dimmed the whites to max out at 80% rather than 90% for a while to see what happens.muok8k.jpg

Wow- this is great way to post the information- makes me want to buy one- which unit do you have and how much? Where did you get the unit? Why are the readings in the middle under the power heads so low- it is still under a good portion of your larger light? Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

Wow- this is great way to post the information- makes me want to buy one- which unit do you have and how much? Where did you get the unit? Why are the readings in the middle under the power heads so low- it is still under a good portion of your larger light? Thanks for posting this.

Howdy, thanks.

The middle brace is in that area, plus there is a gap between by two Razors. This FTS from a few days ago shows it best.

OnfD66.jpg

That's a 300 watt 16K Razor on the left, and a 160 watt 16K Razor on the right. I bought both at Premium Aquatics. Both together are about $1400! :) I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on lighting.

I have two BuildMyLED XB series 36" strips in the middle to brighten it up a bit and add more light to the front of the tank.

• Like 1

Thanks- I think I'll look into getting one, anything I should look for in one

Sorry, one what? The Maxspect Razor? I edited the post above, maybe that helps?

Oh - sorry- par meter- I am sure there are good and bad ones

Ah ha :D Apogee is the only one I considered.

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/

You can get just the sensor and use a volt meter to save some money. Jedimasterben knows how to do this, IIRC. I bought mine at Premium Aquatics for a little over $300. See if you can rent one from a local store or club first. I rented one for the longest time but that store went out of business and I was used to having one around so I bought one.

• Like 1

Ah ha :D Apogee is the only one I considered.

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/'>http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/

You can get just the sensor and use a volt meter to save some money. Jedimasterben knows how to do this, IIRC. I bought mine at Premium Aquatics for a little over $300. See if you can rent one from a local store or club first. I rented one for the longest time but that store went out of business and I was used to having one around so I bought one.

Excellent! Rent one- great idea- what type of store would rent one? Sorry for all the questions- I just think this is critical information to know and when you posted it in that picture it really hit home.

• Like 1

So i liked your blue clove polyps and looked up some stuff on them, they can apparently have a sexual event and throw little pink eggs all over the tank and pop up everywhere. They tend to not if fragged regularly though.

Some rly cool tanks with them everywhere here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114911

Thanks for the link, they do look fantastic when they cover everything.

• Like 1

So what's the difference between my blue cloves and these, mine are about the size of a dime and stand about half an inch tall.

Sounds like Blue Anthelia. Beautiful coral but hard as hell to keep happy. I lost mine after a year or so.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+599+694&pcatid=694

Blue Cloves are also thought to be in the Anthelia family, and the polyps look similar, the they are very tiny in comparison.

I have Pink Anthelia in my 29 that I had in my 40 before that. Awesome coral but when it gets what it likes it can grow rapidly. It's one of my oldest corals so I'm kind of attached to them.

• Like 1
NorthGaHillbilly

Sounds like Blue Anthelia. Beautiful coral but hard as hell to keep happy. I lost mine after a year or so.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+599+694&pcatid=694

Blue Cloves are also thought to be in the Anthelia family, and the polyps look similar, the they are very tiny in comparison.

I have Pink Anthelia in my 29 that I had in my 40 before that. Awesome coral but when it gets what it likes it can grow rapidly. It's one of my oldest corals so I'm kind of attached to them.

Ima get a picture up tomorrow and see if you can help identify

• Like 1

I had blue Anthelia for about six months, but it eventually disappeared while everything else seemed to thrive. I even cut the rock and placed pieces in 3 different areas in the tank to see if responded better to different locations, no luck though they all perished. I really liked that coral too.

• Like 1

Update.

The montipora eating nudi onslaught continues, the Elkhorn was the latest victim. You know you have a problem when you see them crawling on the glass. I took these pictures yesterday evening and did a 12 gallon water change this evening, plus removed the Elkhorn. I'm already planning for replacements while the tank goes Montipora free for a few months.

FTS

FsUO9Q.jpg

Cleanup Crew

QxJOV3.jpg

I started taking pics because my female clown was actually out and about in front of the tank. 20 pictures, none good, this was the clearest and clearly she is taking a dump.

9LJthF.jpg

Makes you really appreciate a fish that sits still for the camera.

JmFh52.jpg

The plum crazy acro has had a browning episode since I got it. Mainly doing macro shots to check for pests, always paranoid about AEFW, but everything looks just fine.

miawfj.jpg

At the same time this was browning the "katrapora" has been really coloring up. Look at the beautiful detail this coral possesses.

pnxuSO.jpg

The blue tip is still showing blue tips and now some lightening skin in areas facing the light. Still curious how this one will end up.

FBGkIs.jpg

This next acro has done nothing but encrust the entire 8 months I've owned it, and now it's fading / browning in the middle.

ac33J1.jpg

The Strawberry Shortcake is every so slowly gaining color.

PhjAUU.jpg

My first "Rainbow Milli". This was purchased from the store (now out of business) that gave me AEFW and this poor thing has been through hell and back but is finally showing some growth. Who knows what the heck it really is, but it's rugged.

tMJgLn.jpg

Another pic of the slimer cut branch, now with new branches starting. Tang is hungry and thinks if he gets in my way I'll feed him.

ZfVfIs.jpg

I moved this from my 29 gallon tank. A War Coral I think. Nice colors and seems to be doing quite well under the bright lights.

6mjlJJ.jpg

These blue shrooms came over from the 46 gallon, I assume.

4EsNnT.jpg

This poci was one of those $10 small frag pickups that has grown like crazy and has an intense green with yellow base.

2qaAW2.jpg

I never give the big purple stylo much thought, but when you are losing corals to pests you start to really appreciate the ones that don't give you any grief.

RhbqN3.jpg

• Like 7

Cool pictures. :) Good luck with the Nudis, what a pain in the ass.

Thanks. I just have to remember that all in all I'm only loosing about $75 worth of corals but some with over 2 years of growth. When I do montis again I will go with all encrusting and digitata rather than the caps.

I will be moving a few pieces I can cut over to my 29 on new frag plugs to wait it out for a few months so I don't lose everything. Forest Fire digitata and spongodes are on that list, maybe my capitata as well.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the pest problem.. Hopefully you eradicate them and stop having casualties.

Thanks. I have to say I'm looking forward to all the montis being gone and these suckers slowly starving and dieing. I know if it were my acros I'd be breaking out the Bayer and dipping, but I just don't have the strength or patience to battle these nudibranchs. Looking on the bright side, I'll soon have some more shelf space to mount new corals. :)

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Aggh! What a PITA. Nudibranchs. With such a large tank, how do you even find them all. When you're ready for montis again, hit me up. I'll send you frags.

The blue tips on that frag are stunning. Wow. So is the Katapora and that green stylo. I'm making myself wait to get more acros after the chiller fiasco. If the water stays stable for 6 weeks and the thread of world dino domination is abated, I'm loading up. Your pics aren't helping me be patient... ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks. I have to say I'm looking forward to all the montis being gone and these suckers slowly starving and dieing. I know if it were my acros I'd be breaking out the Bayer and dipping, but I just don't have the strength or patience to battle these nudibranchs. Looking on the bright side, I'll soon have some more shelf space to mount new corals. :)

Yes, there is always a silver lining if we look for it!

• Like 1