Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

Fancy graphs are fancy.

I used to do timer ATO setups. My ATO on my Solana was timer based with a float switch as an emergency shutoff. Worked real well.

Same, my archaic RKL is setup similarly, I have it tripped by float switch then it runs for 20 seconds, waits 1 minute then if the float is still low it adds more water. So basically if I ever hear my ATO working repeatedly i know something must be wrong, have a second switch higher up for overflow protection too of course.

• Like 2

Not much to update. PH is staying above 7.8 mostly, so I'm ignoring it for a while.

The Scopas Tang is a real chore at the moment. While he's eating well he obviously has some issues so I've been almost hand feeding him 3 times a day with a mixture of algae flakes and various pellets, which he gobbles up. He's a lot fatter, and the poop is normal, but overall he does not look healthy.

The smaller yellow tang, the punk, has to be beaten back occasionally while I'm feeding. He doesn't attack the Scopas, yet, so at least I have that going for me.

• Like 1
Not much to update. PH is staying above 7.8 mostly, so I'm ignoring it for a while.

The Scopas Tang is a real chore at the moment. While he's eating well he obviously has some issues so I've been almost hand feeding him 3 times a day with a mixture of algae flakes and various pellets, which he gobbles up. He's a lot fatter, and the poop is normal, but overall he does not look healthy.

The smaller yellow tang, the punk, has to be beaten back occasionally while I'm feeding. He doesn't attack the Scopas, yet, so at least I have that going for me.

My experience with fish is if they are still eating they have a good chance at recovering. Have you considered supplementing his flakes with something, maybe a probiotic and or garlic? That could help if there is some sort of underlying bacterial or parasitic issue.

• Like 1

My experience with fish is if they are still eating they have a good chance at recovering. Have you considered supplementing his flakes with something, maybe a probiotic and or garlic? That could help if there is some sort of underlying bacterial or parasitic issue.

Yep, good idea. I have garlic and I usually add it when I'm mixing up my frozen food / flake / Reef Roids cocktail that I feed a few times a week.

NirvanaandTool

Dosing vitamin C can help with a newcomer too. I like Brightwell's Vitamarin C for all new fish in QT just to give them a little extra immune boost.

• Like 2

Playing with some animated gifs to show growth. All of these are over 10 days.

Focussed on the milli, but you can see slimer and the blue tip as well. ... and bubble algae :furious:
fzZZo4.gif

This bird grows so damn fast. You can also see poci and German Blue digitata growth.
D5lpi7.gif

Slowest growing acro.
WDvwXi.gif

FTS

o3kmcL.jpg

• Like 10
Awesome time lapses, nice growth. Did you use the new gif feature on photobucket to create these?

Thanks. I used the first google hit, makeagif.com :) Lots of free online sites for making gifs.

Awesome shots! Great idea! I may have to steal it....
I stole the idea from Mr. Microscope. :)

Tank looks great, it's come a long way!
Thanks!
  • Like 1

New tang was a no show this morning and the skimmer was full. Rest in peace.

I kind of figured this would happen so I had mixed 30 gallons of Seachem Reef Salt yesterday evening and let it circulate all night. Still cloudy but tested correctly so I did a 10 gallon water change and everything looks good. Skimmer filled half way and then settled down. I may setup my 20 long with just a filter and an old bag of carbon from this tank if I end up adding another tang, this way I can observe and fatten up before adding him to the main display.

• Like 1
New tang was a no show this morning and the skimmer was full. Rest in peace.

I kind of figured this would happen so I had mixed 30 gallons of Seachem Reef Salt yesterday evening and let it circulate all night. Still cloudy but tested correctly so I did a 10 gallon water change and everything looks good. Skimmer filled half way and then settled down. I may setup my 20 long with just a filter and an old bag of carbon from this tank if I end up adding another tang, this way I can cobserve and fatten up before adding him to the main display.

I'm sorry Mark, that's sad. :-(

• Like 1

So I took a few pics, mostly to make sure I had some straight on photos to look at growth over time. Not posting all of them, though you know how much I like to post photos, but here are a few of the better ones. :D

This is the giant green Paly from Kat. A new head already! My neon polyp Pipe Organ is on the left, a rainbow monti and some kind of Poci on the right. The pipe organ I had in my 40 and it got infested with aptasia. I saved a very small piece and it's come all the way back. The plate coral in the sand I bought as a square frag with a mouth over a year ago. It's finally round and slowly changing and looking healthier. I mean s l o w l y. Kole tang zipping by when I snapped this.

3p26l7.jpg

This next one is my Bird of paradise, supposedly. This has never lived up to my expectations because the polyps usually cover up the green skin so it looks nothing like some of the photos you see of these. I have it under the red monti cap so I'll see how it does with increasing shade.

8UFeOw.jpg

My ORA Ponape birdsnest, on the other hand, has not disappointed.

E5q0vx.jpg

Keeping on the birdsnest theme, this is a picture of the left hand rock mountain. The top rock with the slow growing acro on it us the same rock that was in the 40 and covered with the out of control bird. I noticed a few weeks ago that I had left an encrusted area above that chili pepper monti, and now sure enough the bird is trying to make a comeback.

2wcunp.jpg

Here is the red cap on the left side. I can see most of the underside and I continue to inspect it for MEN (Montipora Eating Nudibranch) but so far none have showed up.

V62HPM.jpg

I am becoming concerned about the blue clove polyps. They are expanding and starting to popup everywhere. The stylo wins this war, but I'm not sure every coral can do as well. I also noticed, when looking at this photo, that there is another group of cloves on the right side of the photo, near an old chuck of epoxy. :angry:

55e4Ko.jpg

Last pic, the right side. I moved the Frogspawn further away from the anemone, who has not damaged it but why take the chance. Caught some fish in the photo and I though it looked good, so I'll end with this one.

X8iOOA.jpg

• Like 9

10 days growth on the birds nest? Id find that hard to believe if it was someone else lol.

Ha! It's just that bird, none of the others grow that fast. It doesn't have a good shape either, it just randomly puts out branches everywhere until it's a tangled mess.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the Tang Mark :(. Tank is looking really good though, looks like your making the most of the extra space.

Thanks, The Kole tang never had any issues, so I'm not sure if it was related to the fish being weak to begin with, or possibly hassled by one of the yellow tangs.

Very nice pics. Everything looks so healthy! Easy to go.

Thanks. I find I enjoy looking at the pictures more than looking at the actual tank. When I'm in front of the tank I always think of something to do. :)

• Like 2

Love the growth gifs, that Birdsnest is going nuts. :lol:

Such awesome colours on that.

Thanks. It's in partial shade of my big purple stylophora, which seems to give it the perfect amount of light.

Thanks. I find I enjoy looking at the pictures more than looking at the actual tank. When I'm in front of the tank I always think of something to do. :)

Yes but pictures don't move in the flow and fish don't interact with each other in pictures. Its hard in our world not to feel guilty about just sitting and enjoy something but we need to make time to stop and smell the roses, or in our case stop and observe our reefs!

BTW, my auto correct changed "way to go" to easy to go in my prior post. That was probably confusing!

• Like 1

Really like the animated photos! You have some really nice SPS pieces and the tank is looking good. Funny- yes always something to do when your looking at the tank- I've been trying to work on anything I see immediately and not put it off so I can have some enjoyable viewing time- not always easy to do for sure- but I have a much smaller tank to deal with.

• Like 1

Really like the animated photos! You have some really nice SPS pieces and the tank is looking good. Funny- yes always something to do when your looking at the tank- I've been trying to work on anything I see immediately and not put it off so I can have some enjoyable viewing time- not always easy to do for sure- but I have a much smaller tank to deal with.

Thanks. I've got a custom made 9 gallon topoff reservoir on order, and upgrade to my 5 gallon jug, which will help a bit. I also need to start running the skimmer output to a collection container so I don't have to change it as often, it was almost full again this morning. In addition to the reservoir I have a skimmer stand on order to raise the skimmer up 2 inches, which will put it right at recommended water level.

Just hundreds of these little tasks that will hopefully continue to reduce my daily maintenance needs, but I already have to do less than I did when I ran my 40 and 46, so I'm getting there.

Yes but pictures don't move in the flow and fish don't interact with each other in pictures. Its hard in our world not to feel guilty about just sitting and enjoy something but we need to make time to stop and smell the roses, or in our case stop and observe our reefs!

BTW, my auto correct changed "way to go" to easy to go in my prior post. That was probably confusing!

Ha. I figured auto-correct, but I was thinking steady as she goes or something along those lines. :)

• Like 1