Cultivated Reef

Kat's Tea Party Under the Tree - Retired

metrokat

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are mad, completely mad, but I love you anyway :wub:

This is a game changer Kat, planted salt water tank... my head is still spinning :D

the new tree is sweeeet!!!

we keep seeing all of the articles saying that the reefing hobby can't come up with as cool of aquascapes as the planted FW guys.. well, Kat, I'd say this is to that level.. definitely needs a spotlight on some reef blogs ;)

You are mad, completely mad, but I love you anyway :wub:

This is a game changer Kat, planted salt water tank... my head is still spinning :D

:blush: thank you. Well, when I was looking at saltwater planted tanks, I saw soft fringing reefs, with colorful chaos, something like the fuge I had when I first started it

Metro-Kat-Macro-Algae-620x413.jpg

I wanted something more structured and minimalistic. It is the minimalistic part that is a challenge for me. :lol:

So a miniature saltwater garden is the idea here. fingerscrossed

This picture below drives me nuts, I want to make it so bad.

AMy+Kate-+Nantucket.jpg

The scale of this tiny tank is driving me crazy but it is also a really good reason to get me to focus.

the new tree is sweeeet!!!

we keep seeing all of the articles saying that the reefing hobby can't come up with as cool of aquascapes as the planted FW guys.. well, Kat, I'd say this is to that level.. definitely needs a spotlight on some reef blogs ;)

Aww, thank you. No spotlights yet, the project is just in it the early stages. This tank is a contest tank on another forum. Can I sustain it? Can this tank with it's poor lighting and filtration work even if the corals I am planning to have are low maintenance? The one thing I can tell you for certain is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get anything done with the fragile tree branches in there. I'll take some top down shots. But I have to work with forceps to do anything. B)

I really like how you can see the other tank in the background of that shot.

Thanks. You remember this tank is situated right next to the RSM. I was thinking about a screen when I take future pictures but I kind of like the open salty 'prarie' look. And you saw the tree in person before I put it in the tank so you know the scale of this thing. I should take some pictures with a beer bottle or something for scale right?

Aww, thank you. No spotlights yet, the project is just in it the early stages. This tank is a contest tank on another forum. Can I sustain it? Can this tank with it's poor lighting and filtration work even if the corals I am planning to have are low maintenance? The one thing I can tell you for certain is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get anything done with the fragile tree branches in there. I'll take some top down shots. But I have to work with forceps to do anything. B)

are you in the nano in 90?

you're gonna win..

Thanks. You remember this tank is situated right next to the RSM. I was thinking about a screen when I take future pictures but I kind of like the open salty 'prarie' look. And you saw the tree in person before I put it in the tank so you know the scale of this thing. I should take some pictures with a beer bottle or something for scale right?

To be fair, I was half asleep that day, but yes I do remember the scale of this tank. I don't think the pictures do it any justice. I think if you mounted the MP10 to the side and took a FTS it might do it justice as the MP10 would dwarf the tank, :lol:

are you in the nano in 90?

you're gonna win..

Thanks for the confidence, yep it's the nano in 90.

To be fair, I was half asleep that day, but yes I do remember the scale of this tank. I don't think the pictures do it any justice. I think if you mounted the MP10 to the side and took a FTS it might do it justice as the MP10 would dwarf the tank, :lol:

True, lol.

Alright. The next mod to this tank has to be on the overflow grate. It is too tall and the water level in the display falls about an inch below the rim. Considering that this tank is 8 inches tall, the 1 inch is a pretty big deal.

JBJ-Cubey-3-Gallon-Desktop-Aquarium-Blac20140523_094712.jpg

Not sure what I could use, I don't have a thick piece of plexiglass or acrylic laying around. So I cut up a black rewards card that I'm going to glue in place at the next water change. I would have liked to have the ability to raise and lower it, like a sliding gate. Not sure how I could do that.

20140722_123502.jpg

Alright. The next mod to this tank has to be on the overflow grate. It is too tall and the water level in the display falls about an inch below the rim. Considering that this tank is 8 inches tall, the 1 inch is a pretty big deal.

JBJ-Cubey-3-Gallon-Desktop-Aquarium-Blac20140523_094712.jpg

Not sure what I could use, I don't have a thick piece of plexiglass or acrylic laying around. So I cut up a black rewards card that I'm going to glue in place at the next water change. I would have liked to have the ability to raise and lower it, like a sliding gate. Not sure how I could do that.

20140722_123502.jpg

This may be a little hard to explain in text, but I'm going to try anyways. If you want to be able to raise and lower it, you'd need to add slots to the card and holes to the tank. Imagine for a second you were to bolt (using white nylon plastic bolts for example)the card to the overflow. You'd drill 2 holes in the tank, and then drill 2 holes in the card, and bolt it together, right? So if instead you made 2 vertical slots in the card, you could move it up and down where you wanted it, and then tighten the bolts. You could make the 2 vertical slots by drilling a series of holes vertically on the card, and then cutting material between holes with an exacto knife.

:blink:

I sort of understand what you're saying. I can't have the bolts showing from the outside so they would need to be on the inside. This overflow compartment is 2.5X2 1/4 in size. I have to remove the filter floss with forceps. I'm positive I won't be able to glue bolts on the inside of it. Even if I managed to do so, how would I make sure they were level/aligned. Another thing, the space created by the bolt glued on the inside and the card, would let water pass through.

542847363_843.jpg

That's a tiny space...

I was thinking of using a nylon nut as well, so you couldn't have to glue the bolt down anywhere, the compression would hold it in place. It would however show on the inside of the tank, at least until the GSP covered it! You could paint it black though to blend in with the background.

or you could get a faster return pump, that should bring the display water level up.. or is that going to be too much flow??

I could. OR! I could cut the card a hair bigger so it is a tight fit but movable?

That might work, not sure how it would work long term. It might also bow and not block the flow. Though if what you really want is to find the right height and then glue it in place afterwards, it would probably work great for that.

@GHill

Then the surface skimming is compromised I think?

I have a small pump inside the tank being used as a powerhead. The tank could always use more flow. I found 2 pumps that would fit in the chamber and have their flow rates. I've been waiting For information to see what gph the stock pump is.

the surface skimming may or may not be as good, but it'll still surface skim.. just might be worth a try though before you go drilling/glueing/hacking anything..

the surface skimming may or may not be as good, but it'll still surface skim.. just might be worth a try though before you go drilling/glueing/hacking anything..

You're right. I should probably fill the tank up some more so that the water level is higher, to the bottom of the rim. And observe.

Islandoftiki

I should have put it on a lazy susan and taken 360 pictures

I demand an animated gif!

This may be a little hard to explain in text, but I'm going to try anyways. If you want to be able to raise and lower it, you'd need to add slots to the card and holes to the tank. Imagine for a second you were to bolt (using white nylon plastic bolts for example)the card to the overflow. You'd drill 2 holes in the tank, and then drill 2 holes in the card, and bolt it together, right? So if instead you made 2 vertical slots in the card, you could move it up and down where you wanted it, and then tighten the bolts. You could make the 2 vertical slots by drilling a series of holes vertically on the card, and then cutting material between holes with an exacto knife.

:blink:

I sort of understand what you're saying. I can't have the bolts showing from the outside so they would need to be on the inside. This overflow compartment is 2.5X2 1/4 in size. I have to remove the filter floss with forceps. I'm positive I won't be able to glue bolts on the inside of it. Even if I managed to do so, how would I make sure they were level/aligned. Another thing, the space created by the bolt glued on the inside and the card, would let water pass through.

542847363_843.jpg

I haven't read down to see where you got with this but it seems like you could just make holes in the card big enough to zip-tie it to the 'rungs' of the grate, maybe one attachment on each end. Then you could adjust it up and down and level it as needed, AND they make tiny black zip ties so it would be practically invisible. Some water is going to leak through and around regardless but the bulk of the card should still allow you to raise the water level.

This tank is really cool, great idea!

I haven't read down to see where you got with this but it seems like you could just make holes in the card big enough to zip-tie it to the 'rungs' of the grate, maybe one attachment on each end. Then you could adjust it up and down and level it as needed, AND they make tiny black zip ties so it would be practically invisible. Some water is going to leak through and around regardless but the bulk of the card should still allow you to raise the water level.

This tank is really cool, great idea!

I like this improvement!

Archived