Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Tea Party Under the Tree - Retired

metrokat

Need y'alls input. The tree needs foliage. Blue cloves are not in my future. I tried an experiment with zoas this weekend. I can work, but it will take a while to fill up the tree (this tank is in a competition and it would be nice to have a fuller look to it by October). In the meantime there is soo much glue for too few polyps. I can be thrifty with the glue, but the polyps themselves will still be chunky. How do vendors stick like one polyp on a frag disc and have it be happy? Doesn't the colony get pissed off?

I am SERIOUSLY considering removing the GSP from the bottom and glueing it to the branches. It would be absolutely perfect, waving in the wind like leaves.

At that point, the bottom gets sand for a contrast.

So what do you guys think?

Also, here's a picture of the zoa experiment

20140811_094609.jpg

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I thought you shared an article with me that suggested the zooxanthellea in corals start and finish their job in the first 8 hours of receiving light. The room is bright and given that it is still summertime, the tank starts to naturally wake up rather early instead of waiting for me.

Light can be bright to your eyes without being intense. I have sunlight coming into my house at a sharp angle (so straight into the window) and once it gets across the room my PAR meter shows 1-2 PAR.

My fish are mostly all 'awake' by around 8AM or so, even with the blinds closed, but they don't seem to mind being up until ~11PM.

Need y'alls input. The tree needs foliage. Blue cloves are not in my future. I tried an experiment with zoas this weekend. I can work, but it will take a while to fill up the tree (this tank is in a competition and it would be nice to have a fuller look to it by October). In the meantime there is soo much glue for too few polyps. I can be thrifty with the glue, but the polyps themselves will still be chunky. How do vendors stick like one polyp on a frag disc and have it be happy? Doesn't the colony get pissed off?

I am SERIOUSLY considering removing the GSP from the bottom and glueing it to the branches. It would be absolutely perfect, waving in the wind like leaves.

At that point, the bottom gets sand for a contrast.

So what do you guys think?

Also, here's a picture of the zoa experiment

20140811_094609.jpg

Anybody?

Go with GSP. Will look something like a flowy pine.
Do it only on the tips i.e. like pine branches. 2 cents. W-

Go with GSP. Will look something like a flowy pine.

Do it only on the tips i.e. like pine branches. 2 cents. W-

I won't be able to control it once it's on the tree. It's GSP, the thing has a mind of it's own. It is already climbing the sides of the tank.

I would think gsp would fill in much faster! I dont think zoas on the branches will look like much in 2 months.

That's what I was thinking too. Unless I get a big colony to frag. And that will be waaaay too much glue.

Very true. I think the effect will still be really cool. Even when it's completely covered. :)

It may end up looking more like Spanish Moss. Especially if you can try and drape it somehow.

Some of my GSP starts to grow in folds. Those folds get bigger and eventually move in the current.

Very true. I think the effect will still be really cool. Even when it's completely covered. :)

It may end up looking more like Spanish Moss. Especially if you can try and drape it somehow.

Some of my GSP starts to grow in folds. Those folds get bigger and eventually move in the current.

I had to google Spanish Moss. I like that!. Hmm.

Once the GSP takes over the brances it won't really look like leaves though -- it'll just look fuzzy. Like hairy green branches

That is true too. I have spare branches, maybe I can try the experiment on that. It grows mighty fast so I'll know soon enough.

KAAAATT

OK hear me out.

What if for the branches you got a bunch of sun coral frags? Then it could look like a bonsai tree in bloom!

Here is a super realistic, high resolution image I've prepared for you to visualize it:

Hj5VZ3O.jpg

Video of the GSP field, waving in the breeze. :)

[/url]

Kind of looks like a Tim Burton movie set. Really cool.

That is definitely a spooky Halloween night howling wind ;) !!!!

Yup. It's going to do the job. And then look like shaggy the dog. :lol:

Or..... I think you had said previously you didn't want to use macro algae but this stuff grows low and branches out:

http://www.reefs.com/magazine/150007-look-macroalgae-caulerpa.html (first pic)

You could tie it on and train it to the branches.

Of course chaeto or that green bubble caulerpa would work too.

I might still have some c. Peltata in the fuge. It griws in a straight line pretty much so it will look like blossoms or birds in the branches.

I could wrap chaeto around the branches ti give it a fuller look immediately.

The red ma ros I have in there right now look very nice but also shade the tank darker because of the darker pigments and being a bush at the top of the tank.

Very true. I think the effect will still be really cool. Even when it's completely covered. :)It may end up looking more like Spanish Moss. Especially if you can try and drape it somehow.Some of my GSP starts to grow in folds. Those folds get bigger and eventually move in the current.
This draping idea is genius if. You could get a large enough Matt remove think you could poke some of the branches through the gsp and have like a blanket atop the tree with a few branches poked out. Or you could just attach it other ways and use come bright red or pick zoas as blossoms on the tree.

You could also try some mixing of tiny bits of macros on the branches to get multiple types and mixtures on it. I would avoid sand if you plan to run this longer then the contest deadline.

I stopped procrastinating and ripped out some white pumping xenia from my main tank. Draped them over the tree branches, turned off the powerhead so now there is low flow. Hopefully they will 'take' to their new abode in a few days time and get happy.

18Cat-CatWithPawRaisedHighFive.jpg

Archived