Cultivated Reef

My 70g Cadlights Artisan, Radion Powered SPS Reef!

Alex B

Where did you hear that?

My LFS, which I do trust. It's owned by two guys who are still hobbyists. I've read mixed reviews when it comes to improving the health of the coral. Some say it had adverse affects, some say they could tell a difference in the overall color of their SPS within days. I guess it just depends on how you run your system. Mine is not a primarily SPS system. I wonder if that makes a difference, especially since I don't run it as a low nutrient system either.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the first time I hear that about flatworm stop. I have never dosed it personally, but have friends that have. None of their acros slimed up at all. Whatever was in the flatworm stop seemed to kill the flat worms. Similar to flatworm exit.

I would think if it's a health booster/color booster a lot more people would use it. Only times I have heard of it being used is to Actually treat flatworms. If you want to enhance color and health try polhs xtra, coral vitalizer. They seem to have made a huge difference in my system!

My LFS, which I do trust. It's owned by two guys who are still hobbyists. I've read mixed reviews when it comes to improving the health of the coral. Some say it had adverse affects, some say they could tell a difference in the overall color of their SPS within days. I guess it just depends on how you run your system. Mine is not a primarily SPS system. I wonder if that makes a difference, especially since I don't run it as a low nutrient system either.

FWS will improve SPS tissue health regardless of the nutrient level in the tank. This takes some time to be evident, three plus months but it does work. If overdosed it will cause brown algae in the tank and actually hinder coral colours slightly. Initially I was skeptical like most, but if you are patient with the product, it does what it claims. It is best used prophylactically rather than after your corals are infected with AEFW.

Coral Booster will improve SPS colour, but only if running low nutrients will this be more visible.

They are two different products but work well together. I have been dosing FWS for two years and Coral booster for a little under that.

As to how or why FWS was discovered I do not know, it's possible that the effects of FWS were discovered unexpectedly while experimenting with different substances. Only Thomas Pohl and his team would know this, nonetheless, most medications and treatments in general are discovered this way.

FWS will improve SPS tissue health regardless of the nutrient level in the tank. This takes some time to be evident, three plus months but it does work. If overdosed it will cause brown algae in the tank and actually hinder coral colours slightly. Initially I was skeptical like most, but if you are patient with the product, it does what it claims. It is best used prophylactically rather than after your corals are infected with AEFW.

Coral Booster will improve SPS colour, but only if running low nutrients will this be more visible.

They are two different products but work well together. I have been dosing FWS for two years and Coral booster for a little under that.

As to how or why FWS was discovered I do not know, it's possible that the effects of FWS were discovered unexpectedly while experimenting with different substances. Only Thomas Pohl and his team would know this, nonetheless, most medications and treatments in general are discovered this way.

Ohh, ok. I must have been putting too much in then. How much would you recommend for a 41 gallon tank? And how often? The guy I talked to deals with SPS regularly, and their coral at the shop is never diseased or unhealthy. It's all beautiful and I'd like to maintain their SPS in my tank, which is mostly ORA with some other stock every once in a while.

lilmatty5dimes

Epic tank man. everything looks so great. love the clean sump area. love your stick collection. i hope everything grows quickly so you can frag some of those up. B) the fishing over in titusville is probably the only thing over here. sucks i have to go 45mins west for any kind of lfs and you have to go east for the fishing. lol have you visit treasure coast coral in vero(next exit south of sebastian on 95)? if you have time check them out a pretty good looking store. might have something in there. hope your rr pack comes in looking flawless. can't wait to see this mature.

Epic tank man. everything looks so great. love the clean sump area. love your stick collection. i hope everything grows quickly so you can frag some of those up. B) the fishing over in titusville is probably the only thing over here. sucks i have to go 45mins west for any kind of lfs and you have to go east for the fishing. lol have you visit treasure coast coral in vero(next exit south of sebastian on 95)? if you have time check them out a pretty good looking store. might have something in there. hope your rr pack comes in looking flawless. can't wait to see this mature.

Thanks man!! Nice to have a local stop in.

I spend a lot of time in Titusville and Cocoa, but I have never checked out the lfs. I know there is 2 or 3 around brevard. Maybe one of these days I'll stop in after a day of fishing!! My wife wants to move to be beach, but I don't think it's for me...lol...I would get bored quick!

Hopefully everything does grow quick! I can't wait for the tank to take off. It's doing ok now, but I still have some frags that need to take off. Do you do much fishing??

Try limiting small particulate foods for a while. Hard to do I know but it can starve them out. I had some in my tank years ago, they eventually just died off on their own eventually. Good luck.

Soo lets see all your new frags!!!

Pics soon! Right now my tank is going through a rough patch. I came home yesterday and some frags were loosing tissue. I'm a little stumped. I really cant pin my finger on a reason. All the big param are stable. I have added a couple fish in the last weeks so nutrients should have gone up a bit. Everything was looking great when I left for work, couple hours later not so hot.

The frags that went were fresh cuts. Like REALLY fresh. That could be the reason. Vendors need to stop sending out frags 3 days after cutting them. Shipping is stressful as it is, but when the coral just got cut 2 days before shipping. That's no Bueno.

Going to let the tank balance out and give it some time before I add anything else.

Sorry to hear that, RTN can be puzzling but usually if they were just added, assuming you acclimated and dipped relatively well, they were probably already on their way out. I have religiously dripped and acclimated corals and I have just thrown them in, and it typically doesn't make much of a difference if they are going to RTN after being fragged and transported they will.

I have never actually ordered corals online for this reason, I largely prefer to go pick it out in person and quickly drive it home. (Most times my drive is an hour or two however it seems better than an overnight ship or whatever).

Good luck. Hope it wasn't any of your signature corals that didn't make it.

Does flatworm stop work well on commensal bastards like the red FW that are on macro algae or does it only target acropora worm species?

For hydroids, smear super glue gel with your finger on the heads.

Sorry to hear that, RTN can be puzzling but usually if they were just added, assuming you acclimated and dipped relatively well, they were probably already on their way out. I have religiously dripped and acclimated corals and I have just thrown them in, and it typically doesn't make much of a difference if they are going to RTN after being fragged and transported they will.

I have never actually ordered corals online for this reason, I largely prefer to go pick it out in person and quickly drive it home. (Most times my drive is an hour or two however it seems better than an overnight ship or whatever).

Good luck. Hope it wasn't any of your signature corals that didn't make it.

Yea rtn is always frustrating. It actually was my sig stuff that rtn. I don't know if to contact reef raft or not at this point. The frag came in super bleached and looked like it was literally cut that day. The plug was BRAND NEW. I left it on the sand bed so it wouldn't get blasted with light hoping it would be ok. I left for work a couple hours after that. When I came home it was completely gone. Not a spot of tissue. 2 of the 3 made it, but even those look unhappy.

I also have 2 frags that have been just fine showing some TN. It's puzzling at this point.

I'm pretty bummed and don't even want to look at the tank. This is my first sps heavy tank, and I expected some hiccups. Sucks no less though. All my param are in check so there really isn't anything I could think of. The only thing that comes to mind is the tank being fishless for 6 weeks. Maybe the frags that suffered a bit were not able to recover??

Atleast my little tank is happy :)

Does flatworm stop work well on commensal bastards like the red FW that are on macro algae or does it only target acropora worm species?

I'm not sure. It's marketed for AEFW. It doesn't kill them, it starves them out by creating a thick coating on the outside of the acropora so that they have nothing to eat.

FWS improves the tissue health and ability to slime in the presence of an intruder however, this does not make them immune to such invasions. For example it will not stop a crab from picking at a SPS coral, but it will allow the coral to recover from such bites if they are not too severe in nature. FWS is most effective at keeping AEFW off tissue.

I'm not sure. It's marketed for AEFW. It doesn't kill them, it starves them out by creating a thick coating on the outside of the acropora so that they have nothing to eat.

FWS improves the tissue health and ability to slime in the presence of an intruder however, this does not make them immune to such invasions. For example it will not stop a crab from picking at a SPS coral, but it will allow the coral to recover from such bites if they are not too severe in nature. FWS is most effective at keeping AEFW off tissue.

Hmm. Has anybody ever tried it on the other FW that you folks know of?

Hmm. Has anybody ever tried it on the other FW that you folks know of?

FWS is not a medication or chemical, it is a proprietary mix of vitamins and elements designed to increase tissue health. I have not heard of people using it for other flatworms. Takes 3+ months of dosing to become effective.

FWS is not a medication or chemical, it is a proprietary mix of vitamins and elements designed to increase tissue health. I have not heard of people using it for other flatworms. Takes 3+ months of dosing to become effective.

So fws does not actually kill the flatworms? I was always under the assumption it did. You learn something new everyday! I only know one person who has ever used it. He said it helped a lot with his flatworms. Now that I think about it though, I think he did a in tank flatworm threatment also. Maybe he dosed the FWS to help tissue recovery, and finish them off. That would make sense

So fws does not actually kill the flatworms? I was always under the assumption it did. You learn something new everyday! I only know one person who has ever used it. He said it helped a lot with his flatworms. Now that I think about it though, I think he did a in tank flatworm threatment also. Maybe he dosed the FWS to help tissue recovery, and finish them off. That would make sense

The flatworms starve to death.

So I got things squared away with reef raft. New shipment coming in.

Some of this d day

14631599255_389173b2c8.jpg

Untitled by touchofklasse, on Flickr

And some of this. This piece is in the tank now, but I didn't post a pic because it's in super poor shape. It lost 80% of the tissue. Doubt it will make it. It's a new release called yellow submarine.

14444944970_84b9a70060.jpg

Untitled by touchofklasse, on Flickr

Yup. I like those.

So things are looking a little better. I think tom I will bust out the camera and take a couple pics. It's incredible how fast things color up in a zeovit system when u get it right. Corals that were brown 3 weeks ago are almost fully recovered.

Here is a updated list. I'm sure I forgot a few...but I'm not in front of the tank now.

ReefRaft rush acro

ReefRaft yellow submarine acro

ReefRaft pink rose milli

ReefRaft Blue Lightning Acro

ReefRaft Pink Dragon

ReefRaft D-Day Acro

Ora Red Planet

Ora Strawberry Shortcake

Ora Joe the coral

Ora Pearlberry

Tyree Seasons Greetings cap

Tyree Pink Lemonade