Pod Your Reef

My 70g Cadlights Artisan, Radion Powered SPS Reef!

Alex B

Thanks Ark! Now i just have to go from collector to reef keeper!!!...lol...

I've learned in the 4 months running zeo that it's a very fine line. I now understand how some people get discouraged. I won't lie, I was half way there. It's been a tough couple of weeks. With Christine's help I think I'm on the right path.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ark! Now i just have to go from collector to reef keeper!!!...lol... I've learned in the 4 months running zeo that it's a very fine line. I now understand how some people get discouraged. I won't lie, I was half way there. It's been a tough couple of weeks. With Christine's help I think I'm on the right path.

I'm glad to hear it.

lilmatty5dimes

OMG stick heaven. lol love the collection. glad to hear things are starting to look better. hope it continues that way.

Where are the pics? lol

lilmatty5dimes

Thanks man!! Nice to have a local stop in. I spend a lot of time in Titusville and Cocoa, but I have never checked out the lfs. I know there is 2 or 3 around brevard. Maybe one of these days I'll stop in after a day of fishing!! My wife wants to move to be beach, but I don't think it's for me...lol...I would get bored quick! Hopefully everything does grow quick! I can't wait for the tank to take off. It's doing ok now, but I still have some frags that need to take off. Do you do much fishing??

thanks sweet. theres nothing really in titusville as far as fish stores. one called aqua mart but there usually high in price and don't really have anything worth the stop in(even driving by). lol the goos stores are down in melbourne and one out by the base. little reef shop, beach side aquatics, and live tanks. the beach is ok. i would probably be the same way and get bored to fast.

usually go fish whenever i can. i sold my yak for my first reef tank(mistake. lol) but usually go wading out by peacocks pocket, haulover canal, or eddy creeks. pine island is great place to fish if your on the island. some nice tarpon and reds in there. but of course any where is possible over here. i've never fished on the ocean tho.

Polarcollision

So I have a couple of patches of hydroids. They are not colonial of digatate hydroids. They are little tiny ones. Almost can't see them unless u really look for them. Unfortunately they are starting to get close to corals and grow on some frags. With my dip procedure and how anal I am, I don't know how I get them.

Anyone know of anything natural that will take care of it? I've tried some manual removal, but that's impossible. Ive never had them before, but have heard with time they to away. I'm not sure how much I believe that. Hope someone knows something!

14723283831_e4ee9e7eb2_b.jpg

Untitled by touchofklasse, on Flickr

Did you ever figure out what to do with these, or a name? My zoas don't do well against them and they're still spreading.

Did you ever figure out what to do with these, or a name? My zoas don't do well against them and they're still spreading.

I actually haven't. It's getting worse in my case also. To the point that I am concerned. If I can't get them under control, I see a bad future for this tank! None of my efforts have helped, and they are starting to get close to some sps.

Where the pictures? :lol:

Dude...I'm so stressed with this thing, the last thing I'm thinking about is pictures!..lol...all the sps has started to look better the last couple weeks! That is good news atleast, but now these hydroids are coming at me with aggression. They are spreading fast. Two of my zoa colonies have some on the stalks, and a couple frags of sps have them also. They are not messing around lol...I've been putting epoxy and glue gel where I can, but I'm not making a dent. They are so tiny also. Makes it hard to even find em.

Yea. This tank is turning into a frag tank I think. Very unsure of what I'm doing still, but figured I would see if I had any interest on the light. I'll hit up through pm.

Well...nothing for now. The tank is up and running. I think we are staying for another 2 years, so if that's the case the tank isn't going anywhere :)

The only thing I will be doing is building a custom canopy, and adding more t5! That's the plan for now.

I got a little ahead of myself I think. Had a billion things running throug my head

That fish is awesome man How's the hydroid control?

It's there. I've kinda decided to try and forget about it and see what happens. Hopefully they dwindle down as the tank matures.

Love the Fathead Anthias, I'm waiting on mine to arrive as well - I ordered it before you mentioned you had one I swear. :lol:

Lol it's a awesome fish. You will love it! I am feeding mine 3 small meals a day and it seems happy.

That sunburst shot is sweet. Makes me super jealous and a bit pissed at my sitch.

Don't be pissed! I lost all 4 fish when I started this tank. You win some you loose some. Don't let it get you too down!

It's a awesome fish and worth a second shot! They are delicate though. My qt tank is more of a temporary display. Liverock, sand, ect. I think it helps keep stress down. I don't do copper though. I feel like ich is almost impossible to not introduce in a display. I think healthy fish fight it off, and never show symptoms. I've been feeding more live foods, and I must say the fish seem more vibrant and healthy. I am willing to spend the 10 bucks a month for live food. I've been doing blackworms and brine. The blackworms stay alive for weeks if you rinse them out every day or so.

So who here feeds live blackworms?? I used to feed my discus with them, and they loved em. I started feeding my fish last week with them, and I'm amazed. They are more active, better colors, and I even noticed less aggression. I'm also liking it because I'm feeding my tank 3 times a day. I feed blackworms twice, and then something frozen like mysis, reef frenzy, or home made stuff. The worms get eaten instantly, and even if something is missed, they are alive and don't introduce unwanted nutrients to the tank. My fish absolutely love them.

It looks like 5 bucks will last me 3-4 weeks. I may even try to culture them, but for how cheap they are, I don't mind buying them. So who else feeds blackworms? Seems like picky eaters love em too.

So can you elaborate a bit more. Where do you get them? What is the process of feeding and keeping them alive? I am not familiar at all with blackworms.

Just doing a quick google search, I found some people that say it could be bad. One mentioned seeing a lot of deformities and HLLE in fish that were fed blackworms, granted this was on another forum so take it with a grain of salt(all pun intended).

A lot of people seem to think that it is a good food to use as the blackworm is native to freshwater, therefore, any parasites or disease would be killed by the saltwater in our aquarium. Therefore, it would be a very safe live food to use in that respect. I don't have any direct experience, but would that also mean that the blackworm would not live long as it would also be killed by the salt content in the water? If so, your point about them continuing to live if not eaten could not be valid. Just something to consider.

The thing that I would question the most, though, would be that you are introducing a non native food source. Since it is a freshwater worm, could it have any negative effect on your fish as it just is not a food that they would naturally encounter? I did watch a video on Youtube and it seems that a good number of different saltwater fish were going gaga over them. I even saw a mandarin happily eating its fair share.

So can you elaborate a bit more. Where do you get them? What is the process of feeding and keeping them alive? I am not familiar at all with blackworms.

Sure!

They are live California blackworms. They all come from the same farm I've been told. I used to mail order them every month before when I kept discus. They would last me a month.

I was in petland the other day and saw a sign in the fish section for live blackworms. I asked and they always carry them! It's like 2.49 for one of those ketchup containers full of worms. You know the ones you get for takeout sauce?? I bought 2 and brought them home.

All you have to do to keep em alive is rinse daily with chilled water. I'm getting close to the 2 week mark and still have a lot of em. Next time I'll just buy 1 container.

Warning...they must be in the fridge. They don't stink, but your wife might not like it :)

My wife doesn't mind because I keep it in the garage fridge. I used to keep em in a Tupperware container in my regular fridge also. My wife had assigned one of the drawers for my fish stuff...lol...food, worms, phyto, oyster feast, ect.

I've never seen any direct proof of blackworms causing anything. It's actually the opposite. Some of the most successful reef tanks feed blackworms as a staple. One great example is Paul B. The man has fish that are 20+ years old. His main diet? Blackworms. He attributes a lot of his success to them.

While they are not a saltwater natural food, that's kinda not important. It breaks down to nutritional value, and what the fish needs. Fat, proteins, ect. It's like feeding your CBB clam. It would never eat that it the wild, but we use clam as a big part of marine fish diets..

The worms actually don't foul out. They stay alive in the saltwater for a very long period of time. Trust me, before they ever get to die, they will be gone...lol...I have yet to ever see one hit the sand bed.

Btw maybe you are unaware that 50% of what we feed our marine fish doesn't come from saltwater. Mysis, Cyclopeeze, ect. All freshwater ;)

Thank god for the garage fridge.....thats where I keep all my aquarium food and the blue bottles that need refrigeration!

I am seeing a lot of positive things on the web about blackworms. I don't know why I have never at least heard of this before.

Archived