Pod Your Reef

My 70g Cadlights Artisan, Radion Powered SPS Reef!

Alex B

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GL with the blue bottles.

Hey thanks ark! So far so good. Things were really coming alive last few weeks! When I removed all the fish a couple things suffered. I should have kept feeding the tank, it's my fault. Everything is looking good now! A lot of things are colored up again and plenty of encrusting, even some upward growth in a few frags!

It's been 2 months since I added the first frags. A lot of frags were fresh cut so I expected some time before they took off. I have a lot of frags though that have encrusted over the whole plug already and are starting to sprout up. Gotta take some updated pics soon!

Got my brs order today. So many blue bottles!! Does anyone care to chime in with a good routine?? (Nanotopia) ;)

Added xtra sp, cv, pif, snow, b balance, and k balance to the mix. Trying to figure out a good weekly routine.

I've had a little trouble with the tank being fishiless. 3 or 4 frags have kinda suffered. 1 or 2 of them even have a little TN. Really bummed me out because before removing the fish everything was going great.

Some peechurs

What I got today

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14561640385/'>14561640385_fb41220a7a_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14561640385/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

One day I'm just going to mix all this stuff together and make my own super supplement!...lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14559989874/'>14559989874_dc4929d2e2_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14559989874/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

My wife let me use the top cabinet for fish stuff :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14560798382/'>14560798382_921ac737f5_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14560798382/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

Hi Alex,

The Xtra Special is very concentrated so doses will be smaller than normal.

Dosing is not just based on the NET water volume but also on the type and amount of corals in the system. Since you have mostly frags, albeit quite a few, we will dose conservatively to start.

Xtra Special: 1mL twice a week. This product is dosed based on the paleness of corals, if corals are pale you can dose more. If corals start to get dark, stop dosing until the begin to lighten again. If your corals are still really pale, you can do an initial ONE time dose of 3mL, wait 3 days and see how corals respond.

K-Balance: 1-2mL twice a week, really you should test weekly your potassium level and usage, every system is different and based on the salt used. If K is low (<360ppm) consider using Brightwells Potassium liquid (cheaper) to bump it up to 390ppm then just maintain with K-Balance. You really don't want to OD or raise K quickly, this will generally cause burnt tips on SPS.

B-Balance: B-Balance contains strontium (a little bird told me) and other ingredients that will help with reds and pinks amongst other things. Do ONE time initial dose of 8mL to load the system then wait a week and dose 2mL twice a week. You don't want to go crazy with this additive either as it can stress corals.

Coral Snow: You can mix 2mL CS with the 2mL of B-Balance dose for best results and or mix 2mL with ZEObak when you dose. You can also dose it pure after water changes or whenever you feel like clouding up your tank, LOL.

Sponge Power: 3 drops 3 times a week.

PIF: 2 drops twice a week. This product is mainly inorganic iodine, so dose responsibly. It will bring out blues in corals.

All the above can be dosed directly in the display or just before the return pump.

I suggest initially to dose one product at a time so you can see the effects they have on your corals. If you dose all at once you won't know which product is doing what to your corals, make sense? Additives generally show their effects on corals 2-3 days after dosing, sometimes sooner.

Hope this helps

:)

Hi Alex,

The Xtra Special is very concentrated so doses will be smaller than normal.

Dosing is not just based on the NET water volume but also on the type and amount of corals in the system. Since you have mostly frags, albeit quite a few, we will dose conservatively to start.

Xtra Special: 1mL twice a week. This product is dosed based on the paleness of corals, if corals are pale you can dose more. If corals start to get dark, stop dosing until the begin to lighten again. If your corals are still really pale, you can do an initial ONE time dose of 3mL, wait 3 days and see how corals respond.

K-Balance: 1-2mL twice a week, really you should test weekly your potassium level and usage, every system is different and based on the salt used. If K is low (<360ppm) consider using Brightwells Potassium liquid (cheaper) to bump it up to 390ppm then just maintain with K-Balance. You really don't want to OD or raise K quickly, this will generally cause burnt tips on SPS.

B-Balance: B-Balance contains strontium (a little bird told me) and other ingredients that will help with reds and pinks amongst other things. Do ONE time initial dose of 8mL to load the system then wait a week and dose 2mL twice a week. You don't want to go crazy with this additive either as it can stress corals.

Coral Snow: You can mix 2mL CS with the 2mL of B-Balance dose for best results and or mix 2mL with ZEObak when you dose. You can also dose it pure after water changes or whenever you feel like clouding up your tank, LOL.

Sponge Power: 3 drops 3 times a week.

PIF: 2 drops twice a week. This product is mainly inorganic iodine, so dose responsibly. It will bring out blues in corals.

All the above can be dosed directly in the display or just before the return pump.

I suggest initially to dose one product at a time so you can see the effects they have on your corals. If you dose all at once you won't know which product is doing what to your corals, make sense? Additives generally show their effects on corals 2-3 days after dosing, sometimes sooner.

Hope this helps

:)

That helps a ton! Thank you. Everything was going great. Things really got wacky when I went fishless. Even saw a lil bit of cyano today. I'm going fish shopping this weekend, and going to quarantine a few weeks. I think this really threw the balance off. I first noticed burnt tips. They healed up and I thought I was in the clear. Now I have a TN on 2 frags. They are not super high end sticks, but still sucks.

What do you think caused it? Nutrient deficiency with no fish in the tank? I've continued to feed, but not like when I had fish. When I started noticing the burnt tips I started feeding more. My PE has also suffered a lil bit.

Today I went ahead and dosed a couple things. Wanted to get some nutrients in the tank.

I've had my zeo reactor offline for 3 days, and only skimming during the day. Also cut back start3 to almost nothing. Should I go back to my regular zs3 dose, and turn the reactor back on now that I'm dosing other additives? I figured i could down the flow until I had fish again and a bigger bioload. I also cut my carbon in half.

Hi Alex,

The TN issue can be caused from many things, I guess in your case it was too low nutrients. I would also check salinity with a different instrument to be safe. I would not only rely on one salinity reading.

I would not take the ZEOreactor off line at any time, you will upset the bacterial colony and you will have to dose ZEObak again for ten days.

I suggest just turning the flow down by 1/3 if you suspect a low nutrient issue. Start3 is also important for a stable bacterial colony, again, it is better to just lower the dose but still continue dosing twice a day.

Changing the system so dramatically will cause even more issues in the tank.

In general, I think we keep our tanks too clean, we are so scared to see any algae in our tanks we will go to great lengths to prevent it. I think this is the case because somehow algae in a reef tank is considered a form of failure. I can tell you it is not, proof, go diving on any reef in the world.

Corals evolved with an abundance of available food from many sources, by creating an ultra clean reef tank, you limit the biodiversity of the system, and this creates an unhealthy environment for corals.

The oceans salt water is more than salt and water.

Hi Alex,

The TN issue can be caused from many things, I guess in your case it was too low nutrients. I would also check salinity with a different instrument to be safe. I would not only rely on one salinity reading.

I would not take the ZEOreactor off line at any time, you will upset the bacterial colony and you will have to dose ZEObak again for ten days.

I suggest just turning the flow down by 1/3 if you suspect a low nutrient issue. Start3 is also important for a stable bacterial colony, again, it is better to just lower the dose but still continue dosing twice a day.

Changing the system so dramatically will cause even more issues in the tank.

In general, I think we keep our tanks too clean, we are so scared to see any algae in our tanks we will go to great lengths to prevent it. I think this is the case because somehow algae in a reef tank is considered a form of failure. I can tell you it is not, proof, go diving on any reef in the world.

Corals evolved with an abundance of available food from many sources, by creating an ultra clean reef tank, you limit the biodiversity of the system, and this creates an unhealthy environment for corals.

The oceans salt water is more than salt and water.

I completely agree. It's been hard for me to find the right balance. My previous tanks were stable, high nutrient tanks. I am not one of those people who go crazy when I see a lil algea. Unless it is something serious like Dino's, or a bad case of cyano, or bubble algae I don't touch it. Let it run it's course! My last tank had a lil algae here and there. Didn't bother me one bit. When you looked at the tank, the pretty corals, and healthy fish caught your eye way before the lil patches of algae. Even then it gave the tank a natural feel which I didn't mind.

I'm a lil scared because I will be gone for a few days this weekend. The tank has not been the most stable thing right now. I'm going trough my dosing schedule with my cousin today and wishing for the best. He is pretty good with the tank. He has freshwater tanks.

Thanks for the help Christine! While I think I'm getting a handle on zeo it's nice to have someone knowledgeable. I expected to have a couple bumps in the road, but did not expect this situation I'm in now. The whole fishless situation really upset the balance. Especially with the tank being so young

In other news. How many hardcore fishermen or women do we have here :)

I'm a salt freak and completely addicted to the ocean! Will be offshore for 3 days this weekend!!

This is what a salties dining table looks like! Making rigs and stuff now. After that time to go to the garage and Rig up some fresh ballyhoo! I don't sleep the day before a fishing trip. Its tradition. Stay up all night making rigs, getting rods ready, boat ready, ect. Praying for nice weather too!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14378843717/'>14378843717_a5a3bc3b45_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14378843717/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

In other news. How many hardcore fishermen or women do we have here :)

I'm a salt freak and completely addicted to the ocean! Will be offshore for 3 days this weekend!!

This is what a salties dining table looks like! Making rigs and stuff now. After that time to go to the garage and Rig up some fresh ballyhoo! I don't sleep the day before a fishing trip. Its tradition. Stay up all night making rigs, getting rods ready, boat ready, ect. Praying for nice weather too!

14378843717_a5a3bc3b45_b.jpg

Untitled by touchofklasse, on Flickr

Awesome bro. Where you goin? Sounds like it's gonna be a nice "relaxing" weekend. Nothing like getting out into nature for a little bit of decompression. Catching some big fish helps too!

Awesome bro. Where you goin? Sounds like it's gonna be a nice "relaxing" weekend. Nothing like getting out into nature for a little bit of decompression. Catching some big fish helps too!

Yea man! I haven't been out in almost a month. I start twitching if I'm off the boat too long! This weekend I'm going to be between 20-40 miles offshore of Sebastian inlet. We will also prob drift the inlet and stay inshore 1 of the days. Hook into some bruiser reds! Hoping to get into some nice mahi, and makeral. Might hit some bottom fishing for a lil bit too if the pelagic bite is slow. I'm a pelagic die hard though so I'm always after that first!

Yea man! I haven't been out in almost a month. I start twitching if I'm off the boat too long! This weekend I'm going to be between 20-40 miles offshore of Sebastian inlet. We will also prob drift the inlet and stay inshore 1 of the days. Hook into some bruiser reds! Hoping to get into some nice mahi, and makeral. Might hit some bottom fishing for a lil bit too if the pelagic bite is slow. I'm a pelagic die hard though so I'm always after that first!

Man now you're talkin......my favorite 2 fish to target are snook and reds, but I also love makeral and mahi. Sebastian is an awesome place to fish, and vacation at fishing or not. Have fun bro, wish I was coming with you!!!

Got back from my trip today! Had fun.

I'm going to my lfs today. Any suggestion on fish?? I want stuff that's going to stay in the column and swim around. Also lots of color :)

Wish I wasn't so scared of angels nipping.

Arkayology

Got back from my trip today! Had fun. I'm going to my lfs today. Any suggestion on fish?? I want stuff that's going to stay in the column and swim around. Also lots of color :) Wish I wasn't so scared of angels nipping.

Get a wrasse!

Get a wrasse!

I do need a wrasse for critter control. They play a huge part in a reef. I've never been a huge wrasse guy though. Only wrasse I really love is leapord wrasse. Any other really cool ones!?

trio of leopard wrasses. yes yes yes.

I don't know if I would do a trio, but definitely one. You read my mind. It's my fav wrasse. If I find one eating prepared foods I will jump on it.

Midas blenny!!! Love that damn fish

I like them too. I want to buy stuff that's not too common, but it's a possibility. I love yellow fish!

Arkayology

I do need a wrasse for critter control. They play a huge part in a reef. I've never been a huge wrasse guy though. Only wrasse I really love is leapord wrasse. Any other really cool ones!?

I love wrasses! I would recommend a yellow coris wrasse. They are cheap, colorful, eat critters, and are good tank mates. You could also look into getting a lubbock's or solon fairy wrasse, they they do not cruise the rock work as much as some other wrasses. I love leopard wrasses as well, but I have given up on getting them. It's too hard to get a healthy one.

You do have a top for the tank, yes?

I love wrasses! I would recommend a yellow coris wrasse. They are cheap, colorful, eat critters, and are good tank mates. You could also look into getting a lubbock's or solon fairy wrasse, they they do not cruise the rock work as much as some other wrasses. I love leopard wrasses as well, but I have given up on getting them. It's too hard to get a healthy one.

You do have a top for the tank, yes?

Yes i do. It's actually got some cool glass tops from cad. I'm thinking I'm going to make my own though. The glass tops are kinda a pain to deal with. They look good, but i think I'm going to come up with something ever sleeker. I hate ruining a rimless tank with a top.

I saw some yellow corris wrasse now at my lfs. I have a buddy who has some, and swears they are the reason he has no critter problems. I also like some of the flasher wrasse even though they are common. Thanks Ark!

Well, came home empty handed. This is going to be harder then I thought. I hate to order fish online, but it might come down to that. Liveaquaria has a nice anthia selection, and a couple fish I really like. Wonder what luck I would have with 1 of their leapord wrasse.

If I lived in the states I would probably get all my fish from Live Aquaria. From what I gather they are very very good with livestock and quarantine etc. etc.

Obviously I can't speak from experience but I am sure other people here can.

I have been thinking about what fish to get next as well for a long time but never actually pull the trigger.

Well, came home empty handed. This is going to be harder then I thought. I hate to order fish online, but it might come down to that. Liveaquaria has a nice anthia selection, and a couple fish I really like. Wonder what luck I would have with 1 of their leapord wrasse.

How did Living reef look? Just didn't have what you wanted or things not looking too hot?

How did Living reef look? Just didn't have what you wanted or things not looking too hot?

Everything looked good. Just really didn't find something I had to have. Going to wwc today maybe I'll find something I like.

Archived