ReefCleaners.org

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darwin has at least one (there may be more) good zoa fragging video that I know of. I'm not sure what the title is or what his youtube user name is though. Maybe he can chime in and a post a link.

If you can cut some of the rock, that would be best. Sometimes the rocks are just to dense and can't be cut (with a razor blade). In those cases I will just scrape the mat from the rock. Be sure to hold the blade at an angle so that it doesn't actually cut the mat. You want to cut as though you are still trying to cut into the rock, if that makes sense. I plan to start a youtube channel soon showing various fragging, packaging, and acclimation techniques. Zoa fragging will be one of the first that I post.

That would be awesome! Thanks for the tips. That's pretty much how I've been doing it. For the most part, I've been successful, but it's so stressful LOL. I guess I'm doing it correctly and shouldn't expect 100% success rate with every fragging attempt. :)

Glenn that would be awesome! I don't have a good record when it comes to fragging lol

It gets easier the more times you do it, like most things in life :).
natalia_la_loca

This thread got hawt the last few days!!!

I know, it's craziness! But don't worry, there's only one Lawnman's Lounge.

Glenn that would be awesome! I don't have a good record when it comes to fragging lol

It also depends on what you are fragging. IMe, the success rate drops tremendously when fragging from frags. Idk why, but I am just about always successful when fragging from full colonies (20+ polyps).

That said, my plugs still aren't here :angry: . It looks like my frag-a-thon isn't going to happen until tomorrow.

natalia_la_loca

It also depends on what you are fragging. IMe, the success rate drops tremendously when fragging from frags. Idk why, but I am just about always successful when fragging from full colonies (20+ polyps).

That's an interesting observation. Maybe I should just stick to popping off the tops and gluing those to the rock. (and trying to make sure the tops of the frags don't go flying across the room and break a window)

Paandemonium

Ngl box cutter replacement blades work better for me, sharper than scalpels IMO.

Mamabear got me disposable blades + the ones you put in the autoclave and box cutters still beat them in my world

Ngl box cutter replacement blades work better for me, sharper than scalpels IMO. Mamabear got me disposable blades + the ones you put in the autoclave and box cutters still beat them in my world
Same here. I prefer a box cutter over a scalpel as well.

Btw, your new CAA was cut about an hour ago :).

Nanofreak79
It also depends on what you are fragging. IMe, the success rate drops tremendously when fragging from frags. Idk why, but I am just about always successful when fragging from full colonies (20+ polyps). That said, my plugs still aren't here :angry: . It looks like my frag-a-thon isn't going to happen until tomorrow.
:(

Same here. I prefer a box cutter over a scalpel as well. Btw, your new CAA was cut about an hour ago :).
I'm a surgical scalpel type guy. I don't frag around...
natalia_la_loca

Here's your freshly cut replacement frag. It looks pretty good considering it was just cut a couple of hours ago :).

Oooooooh it looks great!!!

excited-geese.gif

natalia_la_loca

I'm a surgical scalpel type guy. I don't frag around...

Same here. I prefer a box cutter over a scalpel as well.

Btw, your new CAA was cut about an hour ago :).

Ngl box cutter replacement blades work better for me, sharper than scalpels IMO.

Mamabear got me disposable blades + the ones you put in the autoclave and box cutters still beat them in my world

OK, so now we're at surgical scalpels, box cutters and razor blades :) Today I used a screwdriver, a razor blade and a paring knife to detach some frags for placement on the rockwork. I chose frags that were relatively easy, i.e. that had pieces of rock or glue directly under them. I'm still kind of nervous about sticking a blade under the ones that have the tissue growing directly on the plug.

Oh, and the two living polyps on my sad little CAA finally started to just barely open up today. Maybe there's hope just yet.

I use a flat head screwdriver quite a bit. I actually use regular things I have around the house more than the tools I have in my fragging kit.

natalia_la_loca

I use a flat head screwdriver quite a bit. I actually use regular things I have around the house more than the tools I have in my fragging kit.

Oh definitely, flat head screwdrivers are indispensable! I have one of those near the tank at all times :)

BTW, the easiest frag of all? The sunny Ds. They were loose on the frag, so I just pulled them off and stuck them in a hole in the rockwork. They're doing great.

OK, so now we're at surgical scalpels, box cutters and razor blades :) Today I used a screwdriver, a razor blade and a paring knife

Give this list of items to reefers, and we know they are fragging items. To anyone else, I bet this sounds like a list of prohibited carry on items for flights!

natalia_la_loca

Give this list of items to reefers, and we know they are fragging items. To anyone else, I bet this sounds like a list of prohibited carry on items for flights!

Ha...so true lol

Oh, and a few months ago, I also used a hammer and chisel to pop the head off a frag plug. That worked, but the zoas were pretty mad at me for a while...

Here's my little CAA finally starting to come out and say hello:

13917966542_5bbc60648e_b_d.jpg

Archived