inTank Media Baskets

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

You have plenty of room left :). Looking really nice!

Great FTS!

thanks guys, it's coming along little by little :happydance:

I usually use a wood chisel and that works amazingly for me

How do you keep the frags from flying across the room and hitting your loved ones in the eye??? I've got to know

You said wood :).

:lol:

Oh, and all the frags I fragged today are open now, here's a side shot :happydance:

13919641891_494956bc98_b_d.jpg

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
natalia_la_loca

Those Miami Vice really stand out to me. Who did you get those from? I need another frag of them :).

I really love those, they're a morph called Royal Flush. They don't fluoresce like a lot of zoas, but they really pop under normal lighting. I got them from Aquascapers/Coral Morphologic, which seems not to be selling online ATM.

I've got a piece of LR rubble leaning against the frag so it can grow out...if you don't find one sooner from another source I can probably hook you up :)

I really love those, they're a morph called Royal Flush. They don't fluoresce like a lot of zoas, but they really pop under normal lighting. I got them from Aquascapers/Coral Morphologic, which seems not to be selling online ATM.

I've got a piece of LR rubble leaning against the frag so it can grow out...if you don't find one sooner from another source I can probably hook you up :)

I'm bummed that they stopped selling. They had the greatest variety of those Miami Vice for sure.

Awesome! Just let me know when you have a frag available, I'll definitely buy it if I don't find one sooner :).

natalia_la_loca

I'm bummed that they stopped selling. They had the greatest variety of those Miami Vice for sure.

Awesome! Just let me know when you have a frag available, I'll definitely buy it if I don't find one sooner :).

Will do. It may take a while, as they don't seem to grow as fast as my twilight zone vice zoas, which of course don't look as nice (what a surprise, lol)

Will do. It may take a while, as they don't seem to grow as fast as my twilight zone vice zoas, which of course don't look as nice (what a surprise, lol)

I PMed Claya too. She had some nice ones in the past :).

Zoa name newb here. Are the Miami Vice the big blue ones with the purple mouths and skirts next to the spire of rock (and inbetween some green-faced and red-faced morphs)?

natalia_la_loca

I PMed Claya too. She had some nice ones in the past :).

Yup I was gonna suggest you talk to her :)

Zoa name newb here. Are the Miami Vice the big blue ones with the purple mouths and skirts next to the spire of rock (and inbetween some green-faced and red-faced morphs)?

Yes those are the ones!

natalia_la_loca

So shiny! :wub:

I'm surprised I don't see more vice zoas in people's tanks. They are big, hardy and genuinely blue...IMHO they make tubbs blues look like old shoes

Legendary Corals

I'm surprised I don't see more vice zoas in people's tanks. They are big, hardy and genuinely blue...IMHO they make tubbs blues look like old shoes

I love the vice morphs! I think it's because they're not expensive, so a lot of zoa collectors tend to ignore them. There are some phenomenal vice morphs out there.

natalia_la_loca

I love the vice morphs! I think it's because they're not expensive, so a lot of zoa collectors tend to ignore them. There are some phenomenal vice morphs out there.

There really are. Kinda wish I'd gotten some more varieties when Aquascapers was still open, I haven't seen vice zoas as nice as theirs lately.

natalia_la_loca

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg

The ultra rastas were the first to show it. They responded well to the three-day Furan 2 dip.

The super saiyans got it next. They still had it after the first round of Furan 2, so I treated them a second time. The pox seems to have disappeared but they are only just now starting to reopen.

Now it's hit almost every other zoa colony I have. It hasn't touched the watermelons or any of the vice zoas. And of course none of the palys because apparently palys don't get the pox. Will treat all of them together for another round, starting tonight.

I'm wondering if I should start doing a preventative Furan 2 dip on new zoas.

Worst case scenario, maybe this will just be a paly garden <_<

BTW as noted in the Nualgi testing thread, I started dosing Nualgi in this tank on Wednesday. In this tank I am doing it exclusively for overall coral and system health per the claims of the manufacturer, because this tank has no nuisance algae problems. No changes yet.

Nanofreak79

That sucks! I've lost three frags in the last two days dur to some kind of bacterial infection. I feel your pain.

natalia_la_loca

That sucks! I've lost three frags in the last two days dur to some kind of bacterial infection. I feel your pain.

Do tell! What does it look like, how does it progress? Does it affect zoas, palys, both? What kind of treatment are you doing?

Nanofreak79

It's brown slime on the stalks, which causes the polyps to stay shut. I give them a dip in peroxide and tank water. It helps, but it's not great. I use Q tips to wipe offf the stalks. I've been trying iodine dips which seem to help as well.

natalia_la_loca

Over the weekend, one super saiyan polyp finally opened completely for the first time since zoa pox treatment, and the other one started to open :) Today will be day 3 of the furan 2 treatment of the remaining zoa frags.

Also, I removed my petroglyphs, starry nights, pink rainbows and x-mens from their plugs and glued them to the scape. Current tool of choice is a paring knife...I found it more maneuverable than a razor blade or box cutter...but still ended up cutting a couple of polyps in half...oopsy :unsure:

They were super pi$$ed after that, but they all had polyps open by last night, so I'm optimistic!

Nitrate and phosphate were dead zero this weekend even though I was due for a biweekly water change, so I pulled out the phosguard and did a nice feeding of coral frenzy, KZ Sponge Power, and KZ Amino Acid LPS.

I noticed that the vice zoas are capable of eating food as large as what palys can eat...I'll give them more large-particle food from now on.

Nanofreak79
That sounds nasty. Does it only get on the polyps, or is it elsewhere in the tank too?
It only affects the polyps. I did dips in lugol's this weekend and think the last two affected polyps will pull through.

Over the weekend, one super saiyan polyp finally opened completely for the first time since zoa pox treatment, and the other one started to open :) Today will be day 3 of the furan 2 treatment of the remaining zoa frags. Also, I removed my petroglyphs, starry nights, pink rainbows and x-mens from their plugs and glued them to the scape. Current tool of choice is a paring knife...I found it more maneuverable than a razor blade or box cutter...but still ended up cutting a couple of polyps in half...oopsy :unsure: They were super pi$$ed after that, but they all had polyps open by last night, so I'm optimistic! Nitrate and phosphate were dead zero this weekend even though I was due for a biweekly water change, so I pulled out the phosguard and did a nice feeding of coral frenzy, KZ Sponge Power, and KZ Amino Acid LPS. I noticed that the vice zoas are capable of eating food as large as what palys can eat...I'll give them more large-particle food from now on.
Glad to hear things are going good. I ran out of those KZ bottles your using. I really liked the stuff, but so far my kent accel and reef roids and reef chili are doing well.....I think.
natalia_la_loca

I ran out of those KZ bottles your using. I really liked the stuff, but so far my kent accel and reef roids and reef chili are doing well.....I think.

There are many roads to a happy reef :) I've heard good things about kent accel.

I just got some reef roids and it seems nice. But you know, I was looking at the reef roids website and I wonder just what is in it. On their website they say it doesn't contain krill, but it smells exactly like krill.

I suppose it doesn't make a difference if the coral likes it and grows as a result. And I guess if I'm gonna be dosing KZ, I shouldn't be complaining about a coral food that doesn't disclose ingredients...

Archived