inTank Media Baskets

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

When I see that I usually cut off the infected polyp. Helps keep the others alive.

Nice new additions. Tank is looking great.

Good idea, I'll do that. Thanks, yeah I think it's doing pretty well overall! Although I did have to treat two frags for what I think is the pox.

Do you find that the furan 2 dip method works well? I wonder if its effectiveness might decline over time given that it's an antibiotic.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you find that the furan 2 dip method works well? I wonder if its effectiveness might decline over time given that it's an antibiotic.

Resistance doesn't occur just to antibiotics. Resistance can build against disinfectants and "antibacterials" (like triclosan) as well.

natalia_la_loca

Resistance doesn't occur just to antibiotics. Resistance can build against disinfectants and "antibacterials" (like triclosan) as well.

No triclosan in our house :) The only disinfectant we use (and sparingly at that) is bleach.

natalia_la_loca

There are blue hornets to :).

Yep just added those to the list too!

I'm always a sucker for the nuke green purple death combo

Definitely...just found someone local who's gonna frag me some purples, I need to ask if he has some nuke greens too...beautiful and cheap, a perfect combination :)

Nanofreak79

Good idea, I'll do that. Thanks, yeah I think it's doing pretty well overall! Although I did have to treat two frags for what I think is the pox.

I've had a good response with the furan dips. Infected, white and brown slimey polyps get a hydrogen peroxide dip. 50/50 with about a 2 min. Soak.

natalia_la_loca

I've had a good response with the furan dips. Infected, white and brown slimey polyps get a hydrogen peroxide dip. 50/50 with about a 2 min. Soak.

Hmmm, maybe I should try h202 dip on the CAAs. Still looking janky today, no improvement at all.

Btw is that 50/50 of 3% h202? Mixed with saltwater, or rodi?

natalia_la_loca

You bought the CAAs? omgomgomg:D

Nuc greens, purple deaths, and AOGs....they are a perfect combination.

Yup yup yup :)

My local guy also has AOGs, I'll be picking up some of those as well...

Nanofreak79

Here's a good link, which you may have seen already. It seems people get the pox around the same time every year, not everyone, but it's pretty amazing. It says oct.- dec. but it also seems to be the big swing in temps and weather.http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

Hmmm, maybe I should try h202 dip on the CAAs. Still looking janky today, no improvement at all.Btw is that 50/50 of 3% h202? Mixed with saltwater, or rodi?
I use 50% of the over the counter 3% peroxide and 50% tank water! or fresh saltwater. I never advocate freshwater dips, mostly from having no effect other than making mine worse.

Yup yup yup :)My local guy also has AOGs, I'll be picking up some of those as well...
That little tank is gonna be packed in no time.
natalia_la_loca

Here's a good link, which you may have seen already. It seems people get the pox around the same time every year, not everyone, but it's pretty amazing. It says oct.- dec. but it also seems to be the big swing in temps and weather.http://www.zoaid.com/articles004.php

Thanks, I've practically memorized it but it's never a bad idea to check :) my tank hasn't really had any temp swings, but maybe it's something more general with seasonal changes. Wish I knew more about how to prevent it...an ounce of prevention and all that.

I'll leave the CAAs alone till the weekend...if they're still alive then I'll try the H202 dip.

Nanofreak79

Just the seasonal changes. It seems to be more threads around the end of winter and during. Just from a personal point of view.

natalia_la_loca

Just the seasonal changes. It seems to be more threads around the end of winter and during. Just from a personal point of view.

Do you find that they always die without furan treatment, or do some ever pull through without treatment?

Nanofreak79

I've had some make it and some die off. I still cut off infected polyps if it's a larger colony. Helps control it. The furan does help IMO and experience though.

natalia_la_loca

I've had some make it and some die off. I still cut off infected polyps if it's a larger colony. Helps control it. The furan does help IMO and experience though.

Ok I'll keep it up. Really appreciate the advice!

No problem. It's always hard to chop up a few polyps, but saves them usually 80% of the time.

Just make sure you use a brand new razor blade. I would try to just cut that entire polyp off. Clean cuts are the key to zoa fragging success.

That said, I'm hoping to get your frag (and many others) cut tomorrow, but it may have to wait until Saturday. I'm hoping to add 20-40 new zoa frags to the CGA line up :).

Just make sure you use a brand new razor blade. I would try to just cut that entire polyp off. Clean cuts are the key to zoa fragging success.

That said, I'm hoping to get your frag (and many others) cut tomorrow, but it may have to wait until Saturday. I'm hoping to add 20-40 new zoa frags to the CGA line up :).

Are you able to cut some of the rock with the zoas when you use the razor blade? Or just kinda scrape it off the rock as close to the rock as possible? I'm still perfecting Z and P fragging :D.
natalia_la_loca

Are you able to cut some of the rock with the zoas when you use the razor blade? Or just kinda scrape it off the rock as close to the rock as possible? I'm still perfecting Z and P fragging :D.

I've read that it's best to try to cut off some of the rock that's underneath the zoas so you have something to glue them to, but that's not always easy to do. I'm especially nervous about my shiznits because the polyps are really really small. I want to get them off their stupid plug and onto the scape, but they're so tiny I'm afraid I'll hurt them.

What I've done thus far is just find (or drill) holes in the live rock to stick the plugs in. Which is not ideal because plugs are plug-ugly. Plugly. That's my new word of the day.

Oh, and drilling LR is a FPIA.

If you can cut some of the rock, that would be best. Sometimes the rocks are just to dense and can't be cut (with a razor blade). In those cases I will just scrape the mat from the rock. Be sure to hold the blade at an angle so that it doesn't actually cut the mat. You want to cut as though you are still trying to cut into the rock, if that makes sense. I plan to start a youtube channel soon showing various fragging, packaging, and acclimation techniques. Zoa fragging will be one of the first that I post.

natalia_la_loca

If you can cut some of the rock, that would be best. Sometimes the rocks are just to dense and can't be cut (with a razor blade). In those cases I will just scrape the mat from the rock. Be sure to hold the blade at an angle so that it doesn't actually cut the mat. You want to cut as though you are still trying to cut into the rock, if that makes sense. I plan to start a youtube channel soon showing various fragging, packaging, and acclimation techniques. Zoa fragging will be one of the first that I post.

That would be fantastic Glenn!!!

Archived