Innovative Marine Aquariums

Arce's Tank

Arce

i say you go with what will work for your future upgrade plans.

as much as i love the ATI fixture, why not just grab the coralvue fixture? save the hundreds of dollars for the tank you want. the coralvue can last you awhile and when you're at the point of where you want to be with your dream tank, go with the ATI.

with the advances of LED/T5 fixtures, you might be interested in another fixture down the road. you never know with this hobby.

Didn't realize they had a 6x24.. It is quite big though, overhang for the width would be over an inch and a half. Think 6 bulbs is overkill though?

Or, the 4x39w.. with 3" overhang on the sides.

what will the dimensions of the tank you will be upgrading too when you get your place?

that should answer your question on deciding which fixture.

ordered a 4x39. Thanks Judeo.

• Like 1

I just went through your thread, and WOW you have an awesome 29! I can definately learn some stuff from you, I also have an SPS heavy 29. I will be following along for sure keep up the great work Arce!

I just went through your thread, and WOW you have an awesome 29! I can definately learn some stuff from you, I also have an SPS heavy 29. I will be following along for sure keep up the great work Arce!

Thanks, appreciate it. Do you have a thread, ill have to check it out.
  • Like 1

No I dont sadly. But I will probably try to set one up tonight. Its a year old as of last month and doing better than ever.

Thats great! Mine hits a year at the end of January.

Just ordered some dry rock to add to the scape, since they will be smaller pieces im going to just glue them down as i did before.

Upgrade? Hmm, my RSM130D with the super awesome 4bulb T5/NanoBox hybrid and custom sump is going to be up for grabs soon....

As tempted as i am to upgrade, i just cant right now. But let me know if your willing to part out that light, for the right price id take the nanobox part. If i remember right you used the aquaticlife modular fixute so its removeable.

• Like 1

Thats great! Mine hits a year at the end of January.

Just ordered some dry rock to add to the scape, since they will be smaller pieces im going to just glue them down as i did before.

That will look sweet, I'm really excited to see where this tank will go with it being so young still! I will be following for sure and I will keep you posted on if I get a thread up tonight!

• Like 1

Tempted to consider somehow doing a daily w/c. After seeing a tank from a LFS that implements daily changes, and literally nothing else. 1000g total volume with amazing sps colonies, no doser, just a skimmer. He does 1% a day i believe he said, so for me thats only like 0.35-0.4 gallons. Maybe aqualifters on a timer? Just random ideas....

So lets talk alk... My numbers have been somewhat stable. What is an acceptable level of variation in alk, i know we we want it as stable as possible, but im sure numbers will change and never be exact. Would less than a .1 change a day or less be somewhat acceptable? Or would we aim for less than that.

What the tank looked like before the battle of the MEN...

You can see the colors of the monti dulled/browned from the alk issues, as well as some acros. Growth was great though.

Ea0FiiU.jpg

Tempted to consider somehow doing a daily w/c. After seeing a tank from a LFS that implements daily changes, and literally nothing else. 1000g total volume with amazing sps colonies, no doser, just a skimmer. He does 1% a day i believe he said, so for me thats only like 0.35-0.4 gallons. Maybe aqualifters on a timer? Just random ideas....

the problem with aqualifters are 2 are never exact. look at some post at RC/R2R on automated water changes, it'll give you an idea on how simple but complex it can get. I was contemplating this myself but bi-weekly 5% water changes with my current tank size and situation was more efficient and less costly.

So lets talk alk... My numbers have been somewhat stable. What is an acceptable level of variation in alk, i know we we want it as stable as possible, but im sure numbers will change and never be exact. Would less than a .1 change a day or less be somewhat acceptable? Or would we aim for less than that.

minor alk swings will happen regardless and .1 dKh swing through the day is what i would called dialed in and stable. the worse thing with alk are sudden rapid high alk swings.

I try keep my alk between 7.6 dkH to 8.4dkH it's been lower the past few days but thats just due to growth and most likely my fresh batch of phosgaurd in the sump.

the problem with aqualifters are 2 are never exact. look at some post at RC/R2R on automated water changes, it'll give you an idea on how simple but complex it can get. I was contemplating this myself but bi-weekly 5% water changes with my current tank size and situation was more efficient and less costly.

I never really go on those forums, but ill give them a look to try to find those threads. That's very true about the aqualifters, maybe another type of pump thats a little more consistent. Idk, was really just a random idea after thinking about Fengs tank.

minor alk swings will happen regardless and .1 dKh swing through the day is what i would called dialed in and stable. the worse thing with alk are sudden rapid high alk swings.

I try keep my alk between 7.6 dkH to 8.4dkH it's been lower the past few days but thats just due to growth and most likely my fresh batch of phosgaurd in the sump.

Mine swings a little bit over .1 a day, im trying to get it closer, but i guess that is acceptable.

Need to make a hanging system for the lights coming in, probably going to do it with some metal conduit and mount brackets onto the actual light to slide it onto the conduit instead of using the hanging kit. What DIA should i use? 3/4 or 1/2? The light itself is quite heavy, packing receipt says 20lbs. How hard is it to roll the pipes? Any way to do it without a pipe bender?

Once i get the lights in im thinking about switching out the leds in the fixture for some rapileds blues and violets. I have a driver, not dimmable, that can run 3-14. Should be an easy swap and should help colors pop.

Lights in. Overall I'm happy with it. For $100 its pretty sweet. I held it over my tank and its exactly what I wanted. My current light has 24" bulbs so the ends are heavily shadowed, this light solves all of that since its even bigger than the tank lol. Only downsides to it is the power chords are bulky and the fans are a bit loud. I'm even impressed with the leds, I thought they wouldn't be enough but they are decent.

I have to wait to put this over the tank. I have to make a hanging system for it, and somehow figure out how I'm going to make room for 4 more plugs on my outlet strips.......

I also got in over 15lbs of marco rocks dry rock which im going to use to break up and add to my scape to create more landings for acros.

BOA53N5.jpg

jYkVvaW.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, I have no idea what to do about my outlets though, no room lol.....

link up another outlet strip!

it aint a reef tank if there isn't a potential fire hazard in place. lol

seriously though, get some high quality power strips with some GFCIs in place.

link up another outlet strip!

it aint a reef tank if there isn't a potential fire hazard in place. lol

seriously though, get some high quality power strips with some GFCIs in place.

Lol electrical equip and my tank make me paranoid.

The main problems i have with my outlets is the timers take up so much room, i think im going to grab some 1ft extensions so that i can use the whole strip.

Lol electrical equip and my tank make me paranoid.

The main problems i have with my outlets is the timers take up so much room, i think im going to grab some 1ft extensions so that i can use the whole strip.

get a controller bro..

will be the best investment ever for your tank.