Coral Vue Hydros

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

Picked up a frag pack from a local earlier today. $100 for 16 frags, not bad...

Ponape Bird
Neon Green Bird
Orange and Green Bird
Strawberry Fields Monti
ORA Bird of Paradise
Large Purple Monti
German Blue Digi
Green Digi
Hydnophora
Pocillorpora
Yellow Bird
Red Cap
ORA Miami Orchid
4-5 Head candy cane
Pink Setosa

Red Planet

10885232_892534187425843_453088591375932

983835_892534190759176_45274301300336100

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my sps have begun browning out but are still growing. Phosphates are 0, so I suspect my lighting is to blame along with moving them to my tank.. Going to lower the lighting period and see if it helps.

No, not all 8 at once. Starts bleaching coralline and kicks serious heat even with fans running over the bulbs. I have it split, 3h20m sunrise x 4 bulbs, 3h20m mid day x 4 bulbs, 3h20m sunset x 4 bulbs.

I can run all 8 at once, but it eventually pops the gfci socket that I have everything running on. I may need to ditch the gfci. So you think 216w in that 10hr span isn't enough? even with it only being 15" deep?? I originally had some cyano issues so I lowered the light cycle to deal with it. I need to buy or barrow a freaking par meter <_<

jedimasterben

I can run all 8 at once, but it eventually pops the gfci socket that I have everything running on.

Whoa, something is very, very wrong if that is happening. Do you have a lot of other devices on the same circuit? What is the total wattage consumed at peak? If you don't already have one, I would invest in a Kill-a-Watt unit, well worth the $20 at Home Depot. Does it only happen with the light? Is it the GFCI that is tripping or the circuit in the room? You may also have a bad ballast.

So you think 216w in that 10hr span isn't enough? even with it only being 15" deep??

Your lights are 26" away from the sandbed, so 8x54w is more than enough, I would have gone with 8x39w myself. What all bulbs are you using?

The whole bedroom, our bathroom, the hallway and half of another room is on the same breaker. This house hasn't been updated much since the early 80's. Been slowly redoing the whole place. The gfci is on a wall that another bathroom shares with it, the shower leaked bad when we first moved in, was installed like that when we moved in. I know for a fact it's daisy chained to the other outlets in the bedroom. We're getting ready to gut it here soon. The whole house needs rewired. LOL. Anything with a heavy load trips it.

Right now I'm running 3 blue plus, 2 10k, 1 aquablue special, 2 actinics.

jedimasterben

The whole bedroom, our bathroom, the hallway and half of another room is on the same breaker. This house hasn't been updated much since the early 80's. Been slowly redoing the whole place. The gfci is on a wall that another bathroom shares with it, the shower leaked bad when we first moved in, was installed like that when we moved in. I know for a fact it's daisy chained to the other outlets in the bedroom. We're getting ready to gut it here soon. The whole house needs rewired. LOL. Anything with a heavy load trips it.

Yikes! That's certainly not up to today's code LOL

Right now I'm running 3 blue plus, 2 10k, 1 aquablue special, 2 actinics.

How old are the bulbs? When it comes time to change, I would try three Blue Plus, three Coral Plus, and two True Actinic (or their Giesemann equivalents, they are also great bulbs).

Bulbs are mixed ages, the blue plus are close to a year old, the 10k are around 3 months, actinics are like 6 months, aquablue is around 3 months. I was getting ready to swap them out as it was. Only 2 acro's, 1 bird, and the grape monti have lost color. It's possible I pissed them off with the transport from miami up to here. Some of my other monti's are doing great and haven't lost any color.. Hell, the neon green monti that my damsel ate multiple times, has regrown, has full color, and has grown to the rock. Some SPS are just super touchy. Flow isn't the problem either, I have this sucker moving. The frags came from a tank running mostly LEDS.

I have an ATI 6 bulb fixture and I just lowered it to 7" above glass tops. 500 PAR on the highest most corals and I still have acros getting darker in color. I'm still recovering from LED and PAR shyness so we'll see if this helps, but I also suggest going brighter. More power!

My only fear about going lower is the crappy center brace may crack from heat and uv damage. At it's current height, it gets hot enough to where you can smell the plastic getting too warm with all 8 lights going. In fact, I just checked the temp of the brace @ 115° F with a infrared thermometer.

Had some free time today, so... Freshly fragged gorgs and they're already back to opening up :happy: You can see mommy in the back right.

10435898_900741059938489_481561486486531

Well, I found something disturbing when I checked in on the tank today and found what's probably stressing my acros... red bugs found on 2 of my unhappy acros :x I'm pissed, considering I dipped everything before putting them in the tank with coral rx. Any suggestions for retreatment without stressing them further? I can pull them all out an re dip, but they are probably reproducing in the system now... I really don't want to have to nuke the entire tank with non invert friendly chems :\

Dipped with no losses! The one acro actually started recoloing, one of the others didn't take the dip so well... It went from a dark red brown, to a faded brown and the tips look like they may be bleaching. I've seen one red bug creeping around, but the majority seem to be gone. No other parasites other than red bugs showed up in the dips. I'm going to move the very upset acro to the sand bed to see if it'll help.

Long night last night.............. I cracked my sump like a dumb ass by accident :( Had to hurry up and find a sump to buy in the process. Luckily I found someone local selling one that worked out for me with little hassle. Needless to say, I was up until 5am fixing everything :angry:

Water tested since changing the sump, small spike in ammonia due to moving the sand from one to the other. dKH is a slight bit lower since sump changing as well. Looks like no serious problems going on at the current time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a small Naso Tang to "maybe" help take out the dictyota I'm having explode in this tank. Removing the rocks is not an option... and I've made it worse by doing cautious manual removal.

Archived