SaltCritters.com

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

Yesterday my wife went out and bought the tank another big chunk of FL live rock and some food items. To my surprise, she came back with 3 frags, which she got for free with her purchases.. guess it was some mothers day promotion. As I said before, I wasn't wanting to add anything to the tank yet. I'm not gonna say no, since they were already here and they were free. I'm just glad they weren't hard corals.. I haven't ID'd them yet, but, there's 3 different types of zoa's and one big mushroom. The one group of zoa's don't seem very happy. Looks like they were freshly fragged, shedding their skin, and barely opening. The rest are open and happy.. Time will tell, I'll also have to go get some food for em now. :closedeyes:

10373703_775804569098806_268565623876568

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Water continues to test fine, but, I do still need to get magnesium and strontium tests. I did a 10% water change with IO reef crystals.The group of zoas that were unhappy, have finally started opening up. All of the zoas have lost a bit of their color. I've also been running only half of my lights until they quit stressing. All is looking good at this point!

Earlier today I discovered that the stressed out group of zoas has 2 new polyps! Another good sign that they are going to be alright. Other then that, I picked up a 2.2g Deep Blue rimless cube new for $10.. I couldn't help myself LOL. It'll probably end up as my sons nano setup.

Man.. The tank is being taken over by pods!!! There's at least 20 per sq inch of the entire DT and sump :blink: They are reproducing faster then the damsel can eat em.. It's so hooked on pods, it won't accept barely anything else that I attempt to feed LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Going out Saturday to pick up some Atlantic inhabitants for the tank. Another juvenile jewel damsel, a juvenile blue tang, a juvenile clown wrasse, and some other misc. goodies. I recently scored a very large colony of purple/light blue/maroon Atlantic Zoa's for $26. The tank itself is pretty stable and everything I have this far is growing.. I have a tiny bit of GHA going on in the display, not a big deal yet though. I also increased my CUC in the display. I'm also noticing tons of specs of coraline showing up on the dry rock already. More updates soon!

Forgot to mention I picked up a set of Hydor Koralia pumps and the smartwave controller used for $60 total. It's helping big time to break up the main flow from digging up my sand bed on both sides of the tank. The resulting gentle wave action isn't all that bad either, for only being the 240gph nanos. Vid shows said movement on some algae that needs removing.

http://youtu.be/9dmCWqkQB8M

Happy to report that my 2hr drive back from Tavernier (Key Largo) with the livestock went well! Got these guys from Tom's Caribbean Tropicals inc. I even picked up a very nice purple gorg too! Pics later.... I need a nap from the 4hr total drive LOL

The new tang and jewel. The wrasse is nowhere to be found yet. I still need to glue the gorg to a rock... It's fairly large, like 12x9 in. and very full.

14.png

Yep. Still has a yellow tail. They are completely yellow before this stage. They turn dark blue and anywhere from that to a pale purple pink color. He's only about 1 1/2" long. He's been protecting my original smaller jewel damsel from the slightly larger newbie who's being pushy :D I'm hoping the jewels will pair up eventually.

That gorg is gorgeous! :lol:

I'm gonna give it a week or so to settle in and attempt to frag some of it. I only paid $6 for it..

$6? It looks really big. Looks awesome for sure.

Yep! 12"x9" at least. Tom is a local collector/wholesaler, so I wasn't paying LFS rape prices. Everything he had was very healthy!! I'll be going back to grab some other stuff, that is, when I have the time to make the trip :). I can actually get all this locally with my license, but, I don't have all the collecting gear I used to. Just last week I was out trying to catch a juvy tang, until a 4ft nurse shark wouldn't leave me alone, so I gave up.. It's hard to find most of these guys at the LFS when you need em, not only that, LFS stuff is abused and very stressed out.. I won't fund the majority of my local shops either.

Since I'm getting serious with sw again, I'm picking up 120g frag tank this week and devoting a room to it in our guest house. Details on that will come later though.

Apparently the gorg is photosynthetic as the polyps went from white to brown since I've had it. I do notice a tiny bit of tissue loss near the base from me touching it when gluing it.

jedimasterben

How thick are the branches? P. elisabethae are very thin-branched, yours look thicker, but after looking closer at your pic I can see where it branches off from the main stems and it looks less like P. flexuosa.

Guessing with my calipers without going in, around 2mm to around 2.5mm. Also, if you compare both pics, the polyp extension is much greater now, then when I first got it.

18.png

Archived