Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figured I'd break in the skimmer while I had everything setup and running on freshwater. Didn't expect this amount within 24hrs and with no bio load. Yummy DOCs..

11.png

Some good news, almost done tiling the room where it'll be going! Still have to sand and paint before that though. Bad news, I found a leak around the rim of the top which will need siliconed before I re set it up again.. Moisture was seeping out through wherever the top wasn't siliconed properly.

Yep.. I have full width glass tops, so the condensation/humidity found itself a path out since its sealed. Better to have happened now, then when salt is present. I'd never be able to get it to seal with salt creep.. unless I removed the entire rim and redid it completely. This is why I've left it up an running with just freshwater for awhile to work out any bugs it may have. I'm half tempted to do both the inside and exterior with black just to make sure it's completely sealed. Once I add a wavebox, it's going to get very wet around that upper portion. I don't want to spend a ton of time continually cleaning up salt creep.

• 2 weeks later...

The room is nearly completed and I ordered a spectrapure ro/di unit. Need to go buy some salt and sand and get it moving already :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

RO/DI unit installed in the closet right next to where the tank will be setup. Still need to do work in the closet, so I wanted to get this in there asap.

1496652_759299617415968_2303240588673527

I have that RO/DI and love it. I've done one replacement of the sediment filter and carbon block in the year and a half that I've owned it. Never over 0 TDS measured with a hand held temperature correcting TDS meter. And by the way, the inline meter is good for an overview but it does not temperature correct so cold water will always read lower than it is. Spot checking time to time with a handled meter, like this one http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-3-Handheld-Carrying/dp/B000VTQM70 is a good idea.

Tank is in the bedroom finally and filled with super clean water :D I'll be getting it fully setup this weekend. Not using black sand as I had planned, due to being able to get good Bahama sand fairly local for a decent price.

I reeeeally wanted to give the black a chance... However, I didn't want to chance it having metals in it, or, having poor to no buffing abilities for the upfront cost. I plan on setting up a nano for my son eventually and I'll probably put it to the test there first :). Just finished adding the initial batch of salt to it. Decided to use IO for the start up and cycling stage. Now I'm just waiting for the sand to arrive so I can start adding my rocks to get this sucker going. On another note, it seems our well water exhausted the DI cartridge @ just under 100 gallons in a 24hr run.... Co2 is likely the cause.

Well, 180lbs of Bahama sand from MarcoRocks showed up and I got about 75% of it in. Cloud city!! Even after much washing. <_< I spent the entire day rinsing it.. It's going to take weeks to clear up LOL. I can't even see to start putting my rocks in. Ah well.

The display right now is around 2" - 2 1/2" deep, around 120-130lbs. I can't really tell overall due to the clouding. The refugium I have about 1/2" deep and I doubt I'll be adding any more to either tank. I got 180lbs just to be on the safe side and having extra on hand never hurts.

It's finally starting to clear up and settle, but holy silt... This is the refugium shown. I'll be able to start adding rock to the display here soon. Tossed a couple shrimp in last night to get the cycle going. Also need to go pick up a few testing and cleaning supplies tomorrow..

10313978_765930960086167_823976863432657

Didn't have time to upload pics to my server, so this one is linked from FB. Its getting cleared up after I built a sediment filter to get rid of the silt from an old RO housing and power head. Started adding the rocks and a bit of live rock to get it seeded. Still more rock to add and position.

10308285_769393989739864_639841640331953

Went out and picked up some chaeto for my fuge today. I also picked up some really nice FL aquacultured live rock to help with seeding the system.

Woke up to find my sump crawling with pods. Apparently they were deep within the chunk of chaeto that I got. :lol: Everything is going smoothly at this point.

Coming along nicely jinx. Cycle....cycle....cycle.....

Indeed. Noticing a pretty good diatom bloom going on already. Going to test tomorrow to see what my numbers are and start doing every other day tests to see where I'm at.

Water checked out fairly good by my tests and also took some it to the local reef shop to confirm. The sump went from brown to clearing up with green on the rocks over night. The display is still showing brown though. Seems it may have cycled pretty rapid... going to keep a real close eye on everything even still. Since everything looks to be in the clear, I tossed in a jewel damsel, a scarlet hermit, and two atlantic turbos to help keep it going and under control.

This is the current state. I plan on adding bit more rock to the display and letting it grow further before subjecting ANY corals to it. My camera takes absolutely terrible pics with the tanks lights...

1461566_771749352837661_3115254163172654

10308554_772167142795882_172342973244312

Looking good man! Cant wait till its full cleared up.

How it's looking today. Pretty clear now :)

10288755_774021405943789_423789407894837

Also found this nudi in my sump, dunno what exactly it is. Maybe a Sargassum nudi?

10314699_774009459278317_419649382042876

Archived