Innovative Marine Aquariums

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

Here's the only A hole in the tank and likely the reason the wrasse is hiding in fear of it's life... The wrasse is MUCH bigger than the blenny and gets his ass beat by it.

28.png

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes: Found the jawfish! Looks like he wiggled into the overflow and took a ride to the sump LOL... He's built himself a home in the refugium. I guess I'll let him live down there..

Jawfish are supposed to be very social and inquisitive, not the one I got apparently LOL. I really want him in the DT and not the refugium.. he's gonna dent the pod population down there. I'm hoping to relocate him to the DT, that is, once he gets used to the smells of the system and quits being a freak.

LOL.....I'd say he was quite inquisitive....so much so that he found a whole new world to explore. I agree though, you really should move him back up to the display.

I found the jawfish hiding under my sump pump, so, I moved him back to the display a little while ago. I took the blenny out of the display and moved his bitch ass to the refugium :P The jawfish is scared of everything..

30.png

I also picked up a blue head wrasse :lol: I'm a sucker for wrasses.. always have been. This will complete my Atlantic fish crew, if, the other wrasse is still alive. I haven't found him yet, so... I hope he's still kicking.

29.png

Couple random pics. First up is the ref and how it's currently looking. I have a duster down there that insists on collecting chunks of the chaeto that's free floating... Second shows the rocks are finally starting to show true coraline growth :) The clown wrasse is still MIA though :(

31.png

32.png

A early start to the day so I can get some maintenance done. Took some time to grab a quick vid. Everyone is still half asleep and or still sleeping. My camera sucks at picking up the true color of the lights... it's a lot whiter then whats shown in the vid.

http://youtu.be/b91zVyDJSEI

Came home this morning to find the blue head and the jawfish fighting over the jawfishes bunker. I broke the fight up and fed the tank.. everything seemed fine and they quit. 20mins or so later, the wrasse is dead..... :( wth! I'm having very bad luck with wrasses. Didn't think jaws were that agro. The jaw is fine.

New growth shot of my original cutting from the gorg. Currently closed, because it's getting ready to flake it's skin off.

33.png

Nice growth shot, sorry about the wrasse's. They have always been sensitive fish for me, poor shippers and would die easily from any stress.

I love that rock in the middle !!

Nice growth shot, sorry about the wrasse's. They have always been sensitive fish for me, poor shippers and would die easily from any stress.

I love that rock in the middle !!

Thanks. My camera really blows for these lighting conditions LOL. Sucks about my wrasses, but, some loss is to be expected in the early stages. I'm going to give it a bit before I add any other fish, though, the damsels may be way more territorial by then. I've actually had good luck with wrasses in the past. I had a dragon wrasse that lived for a very long time and was super friendly with me, ate out of my hand, help do maintenance on the sand bed, and he'd even let me hold him. Sure they can be a hand full and very messy at times, but, I love em :lol: That rock weighs in at around 66-68lbs, can't remember exactly. Anyways, I'm doing some cleaning and will be adding more pics here and there. Some of the zoa's I got for free have finally started getting fuller and are getting deeper colors back.

34.png

Been a bad week for me :( Got home to find a ton of zoa eating nudis all over my one big zoa colony... Sitting here sucking them out. I'm going to try treating it with flatworm exit here shortly, once I think I've gotten most of them out. I dipped all my stuff, so it must have been eggs.

The FE did not work, even after adding the 50% more. Still manually removing them... I may have to pull most of them out and dip them in RO/DI. I've had the display blacked out since this started. It's pretty hard to spot them with everything open. I've already pulled out around 30 or so plus a few egg clusters.

Damn man....sorry to hear this. Keep up the good fight and hopefully it will pan out for ya.

Yeah it sucks, but, seems the FE definitely had some effect on them. They are losing their stolen polyp colors and shrinking, not dying though. So far I've only seen a few, and I got those. The good thing is, they are staying on the colony that I found them on.. I've killed at least 60-70 of these suckers. I tossed in 4 peppermint shrimps over the weekend to help further clean up what I can't see. Hopefully they eat the aiptastias that I have in the display. The tang is freaking out trying to train the shrimp to clean him LOL.. He's getting so pissed off that they won't be bothered with the offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to update.. I need to close off my overflow better :\ I lost the tang because he somehow jumped back there and died during my blackout for the nudi killing. I now have a cyano outbreak.. water checks out fine under my tests and 2 other LFS. I wanted to make sure nothing is going on, since I've lost both wrasses, and now the tang. No nitrates or phosphates present, though my PH is 8.0 and my alk is bouncing between 6-8dkh. I'm going to pick up some buffer to see if I can get it to balance out better. I seriously need to cap that overflow better... The nudis seem to be gone! Probably gonna do a decent sized water change.

I did however ditch the T5's I had over the sump for a better 6500k CFL spot. My chaeto wasn't growing all that fast or thick. This is much better then what I was running.

37.png

38.png

• 1 month later...

I haven't used a sock until my recent cyano outbreak. I hate socks for the most part, but, it helped with keeping it from getting back into the display during clean up of the cyano. What you can see in the pic of the first chamber, is my skimmer. The drail line is in the far back corner of the first chamber.

Some updated pics >

My new blue tang baby I picked up while back down in the Keys to replace my previous one. Glass hasn't been cleaned in over a week, so sorry it's not a clean shot. I still have a small patch of cyano that I'm keeping at bay too. Plus I did a lil bit of rearranging and stirred up sand before these pics.

39.png

Another new addition, some will bash.. I'll be moving him to a bigger tank down the road. Cute itty bitty french angle :D I got him for free when I picked up the tang. He's been cleaning my Jewel damsel like crazy..

40.png

Rearranged the refugium a lil bit. It's starting to grow out better. I've also added a few more types of macros in there.

41.png

And finally, I just started a separate 10g macro & pod grow out tank. It's just running a koralia evolution on a wave maker to tumble the free floating macro's (chaeto and ulva). I collected a ton of pods from my sump to kick it off.

42.png

Other then that, everything is doing well. My gorg and it's frags are growing like weeds.. I've already given quite a bit of it away LOL. I'll get some better pics up after I take some time to clean it up better. Been away for a week and need to do some TLC. I've also switched over to the red sea coral pro salt this week. I'm starting to think the IO reef crystals is fueling my cyano to an extent.

Archived