Pod Your Reef

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I thought so too :wub: Couldn't pass it up for $20. Wife spotted it hidden in a seahorse tank under tons of macros.

Nice! Just be sure to pump lots of food into it!

The birdsnest that was seriously damaged by the tang, has stopped losing tissue and even colored up more then it was before. Very little pe though.

So this happened.. Just got done hanging some new Hobbie Bug LEDs w/ 90° optics :x Next is to build a hanger for four 48" t5ho to go with the new setup.. Lids are coming off too :rolleyes: Still need to adjust the settings on the LEDs. I dislike LED, but I'm going to give them a shot. Time to barrow a PAR meter again...

11053703_942999952379266_551851653976468

Sorry about the tang!

I'm not so sure about the LED's. Old PAR readings looked perfect, remember to run the LED's at slightly lower PAR based on what the meter says.

That's the way to do LED's, big fixtures covering a good deal of the tank, but hmmm. :D

Yeah, dunno what happened with the whole tang deal, but the corals that were harmed are doing much better. I'm still going to run t5's with them, just gotta get some hardware and weld up some frames to hang em from.

I may end up removing the optics and lowering them once I get the T5's back up. I ordered two single T5ho fixtures that will fit in the space that I have left. Should be enough, but won't know until I get a par meter in there again. I was only getting 324w with the six T5's, with two T5's and the LED's at 100%, I'd be getting 348w, which is slightly more. Best part is being able to control the lighting better.

You can't compare wattage between lighting technologies. LED wattage is much lower for higher output.

I wasn't critically comparing them. Yes, LED wattage is lower for the higher light output, that is true. These two 24" fixtures 12" above the water @100% on both CH, are way brighter than the six T5's 6" above the water. I was merely getting at only running the two T5's with the LEDs should be fine. I currently have them going no more than 30%, which comes very close to the brightness of the six T5's to my eyes.

jedimasterben

I wasn't critically comparing them. Yes, LED wattage is lower for the higher light output, that is true. These two 24" fixtures 12" above the water @100% on both CH, are way brighter than the six T5's 6" above the water. I was merely getting at only running the two T5's with the LEDs should be fine. I currently have them going no more than 30%, which comes very close to the brightness of the six T5's to my eyes.

Oh ok, I'm with ya now :)

I forgot to mention the t5 fixtures that I picked up were from sunblaster w/ the nanotech reflectors. Not sure about the ballasts being any good, but I already have 2 good ballasts ready to drop in if they are garbage.

jedimasterben

I forgot to mention the t5 fixtures that I picked up were from sunblaster w/ the nanotech reflectors. Not sure about the ballasts being any good, but I already have 2 good ballasts ready to drop in if they are garbage.

Do you have a Kill-a-Watt? If so, check their wattage. My 36" Sunblasters that I ordered only pull around 26w from the wall - should be around 43w for a 39w bulb!

Some of the acro's that I currently have which originally came from other systems using LEDs, are showing dramatic activity increase.. The polyps are the fattest/perkiest that I've ever seen them. I need to get a better camera!!

Two ATI Blue Plus added to the mix.. Holy freaking bright... LED's aren't even on close to 100%.. I think I'm going to modify my canopy to hang with them to hide the fixtures.

524152_944878205524774_82874106308169530

Still debating pulling the optics. I'm not liking the lack of spread/mixing with the 90°'s. Then I'd need to figure out a good height for them sit if I do.. I really need to just buy a PAR meter so I can play around for as long as needed to get this done without major trial and errors.

jedimasterben

Still debating pulling the optics. I'm not liking the lack of spread/mixing with the 90°'s. Then I'd need to figure out a good height for them sit if I do.. I really need to just buy a PAR meter so I can play around for as long as needed to get this done without major trial and errors.

Strip em off, they aren't doing you any favors :)

I'd hang them around 8-12" off the top of the tank if you remove the optics.

Found 5 micro colonies scattered randomly on my rocks so far of either my green birdsnest or my green pocillopora. Very hard to tell because they are super tiny 1-2 polyps per colony. Will be interesting to see what becomes of them. Doing par readings today so I can get the led's dialed in :happy:

New numbers with both led channels @ 100% 12" from the water and the two T5's 10" from the water. Picture is not from the time of reading.

11088191_949713718374556_215932541093737

Old numbers with six T5's 6" from the water.

1488065_934313509914577_8649495741808406

Archived