Top Shelf Aquatics

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

I measured the same fixture that I also have over the 35g which had the optics removed. It's is only a inch from the surface and the PAR numbers were super low. Sand bed was between 70's and the 90's, bottom frag rack was no higher than 150, upper rack was in the 200's. This was at 100% on both channels.. So pulling the optics on these would be a bad idea.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I at least have a good base line to go from even if the meter isn't reading the LEDs properly.. I should be able to get them dialed in with some close attention to the corals, which will be the true indicators of whats working and whats not.

Sk8n Reefer

Not sure what it's true color is, I want to say blue though. Only paid $30 for it.

Did you remove it from a plug- or did it come on that rock- good coralline on that rock

Traded out my rw-15's for a brand new set of rw-8's last night with a local, much happier with the 8's :happy:

Yea, the 15's move a LOT of water in my 150, might be a tad too strong for a 75. :)

Honestly it wasn't too bad with how I had it set up, but I can see some of my birds didn't enjoy it regardless of placement in the tank. I pulled all of my birds to rehab them in the 35g for now. I'm willing to bet that my purple gorgs will not appreciate the lesser flow.

Forgot to mention I've been running a jebao dc12000 as the return for the past month, much happier with it and the fact that it's keeping the tank nearly 3 degrees colder ;) Plus I finally got a decent UPS BB with status readouts for the 75g until we get a decent generator. Makes leaving the house much less worrisome, heater won't loose settings and the tank will keep running for 6.4 hours with just the RW's going. The heater will kill it in 18m, but it's not likely to kick on when the power is out because the house a/c won't be running. I'm going to add the dc12000 on and see how much it sips off of it.

I'll be putting together a small calcium reactor setup for this tank. So I ordered a AquaMaxx S-Nano to give it a shot. Still haven't decided on a ph controller, but I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee MC122. I already have a CO2 tank and regulator waiting.

I'll be putting together a small calcium reactor setup for this tank. So I ordered a AquaMaxx S-Nano to give it a shot. Still haven't decided on a ph controller, but I'm leaning towards the Milwaukee MC122. I already have a CO2 tank and regulator waiting.

Those things scare me, good luck!

Why's that? Dosing by hand gets to be a bitch and I don't trust dosing pumps for long term. It's bad enough that I top off by hand because I don't trust ATO's. LOL...

Looks like velvet has gotten into my system.. I fed the tank with some live phyto in the past two weeks before this showed up. Everything was fine until the phyto was used.. I've caught everyone that was still alive, except for my six line, and threw them into a hospital tank with copper. The six line doesn't seem to be in any trouble atm and is not going to let me catch him without tearing the rocks apart.. I'm going to keep trying though. Looks like it's going to be fishless for awhile. SMH :angry:

Sk8n Reefer

Looks like velvet has gotten into my system.. I fed the tank with some live phyto in the past two weeks before this showed up. Everything was fine until the phyto was used.. I've caught everyone that was still alive, except for my six line, and threw them into a hospital tank with copper. The six line doesn't seem to be in any trouble atm and is not going to let me catch him without tearing the rocks apart.. I'm going to keep trying though. Looks like it's going to be fishless for awhile. SMH :angry:

Man, that sucks- you think it had something to do with the Phyto? When the last time you introduced a fish?

It's possible the Naso brought it, but I have a hard time believing it kicked in this quickly after all that time passed. Nothing was looking wrong in the past week. My LMB died while I was home, caught the cleaner shrimp and nassarius snails eating him.. Got my basslet and my blue chromis out, basslet passed and the chromis isn't far behind. They are showing signs of respiratory problems and water params checked out fine. Oxygen isn't the issue either. No ick is present at this time.

The six line is now the only remaining survivor and shows no signs of problems. Copper was not effective.. the velvet won the race :(

It's a mess atm... Need to spend the weekend cleaning up the wiring and such. Calcium reactor setup! I got the CO2 tank and regulator for free, brand new. Brand new AquaMaxx S-Nano calcium reactor. Brand new Milwaukee MC122 ph controller. Now to get it dialed in and get a second CO2 tank.

11078092_958872447458683_502347738801484

Crap, sorry to hear about the disease. :(

Yeah it blows.. it's a devastatingly quick killer if not caught right away. The real bitch of the situation is the six line currently being immune to it.. If I can't get him out to QT for the time the system needs to be fishless, he can potentially re infect any new additions down the road. Though on the bright side of it, it gives me time to sort out placement of corals and such without stressing anyone out. 90% of my corals are growing well and coloring up nicely.

So far the reactor is doing fine, dkh in the system hasn't gone above 8, though I noticed the ph was around 7.9-8.0 this morning before the lights came on. ph is sitting around 8.1 right now and the effluent is testing around 25 dkh. More testing to be done....

Picked up a mille

10955448_951374851541776_686221207915987

It's starting to show multiple colors, yellow-orange-pink and also green. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. I can't get my camera to pick up the colors :\

CaRx is doing it's job without issues so far. The levels are staying stable :) I converted my Phosban reactor to a second drip chamber to help with excess CO2 getting back into the system.

Archived