inTank Media Baskets

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

Just picked up the Naso! It's roughly 3" and they claim he was in QT before I got him, so I'm going to attempt to get him in the tank asap.. It came all the way from a facility in Cali, which means a stressful flight here. Looks very healthy, but we all know Tangs are stressed out just living life. Updates later.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with the tang, sorry about the redbugs.

Yeah I'll need it. I added a six line a little while after finding the bugs to help thin out some of the spaghetti worms. They are taking over the tank along with the dictyota... The wrasse should help keep the sps's happier too. He mostly hangs out around my frag racks, which is good.

The tang is in and went right to eating the Dictyota!! Shhweeeeeeeeeeet :D I'll grab a pic of him when he gets less shy. Just to show how fast Dictyota can get out of hand, I cleaned this powerhead a week ago >_> any tiny piece left behind, regrows into masses very quickly. The Naso has much work ahead of him!

10606549_913606788651916_118808303245761

The six line patrolling some corals. Again, Dictyota showing in many spots.

1511137_913606808651914_5920074556690448

Good news on the tang. Mine gobble it up as well and I have a nice red variety of it that's I'd like to grow a little, but no luck. :)

Very good news that it's eating already. My other tangs took forever to eat anything, no matter what it was. Didn't help them survive at all.. Atlantic blue tangs are known to be hard to keep alive. I have some red stuff too that looks like long leaf dictyota, but since bumping up to 6 lights on, it quit growing and went brown. It doesn't like much light apparently. I also have some red grape macro in my sump that hates any light.. I put it in the dark and it went from rusty brown to a very deep maroon. I've had it for awhile, but it never grew much. It's like 10" tall now :)

Managed to snap a quick one of him when I was getting ready to feed the rest of the crew. I really need to invest in a better camera soon, this Canon PowerShot just sucks.

10635986_913625591983369_142639151214430

Apparently the Naso likes eating spaghetti worms too :wub: Tired of them irritating my zoa's!!! Wooohoo, go tang!

Cool,

my two Yellows and Kole never touch anything but algae.

It's even sifting the sand! Hungry Lil bugger lol. I really hope it doesn't get ich. The six line has taken a liking to the tang. They we're hanging out and swimming around together the morning.

Hahahaha LMAO... Just caught my cleaner shrimp riding the tang like a horse from end to end of the tank. XD the tang didn't even care LOL

Spent 10mins this morning catching my stupid peps which I found eating zoa's together....... Easy work with a quick bottle trap ;) Banned to the sump!

Gotta try to get a video of your cleaner riding the tang, that would be awesome!

Epic for sure! I'm sure it'll happen again, just the tang runs when the camera comes near the tank currently. Funny because it never really attempts to clean anyone else in the tank :huh: then suddenly goes for the only fish big enough to eat it. LOL. I hope they bond and keeps the tang mostly clean of ich. The peps were more willing to clean then the cleaner.. The peps are wayyyy to aggressive when it comes to cleaning though.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

It's not possible, the parasite lives under the slime coat of the fish.

I wasn't implying that it would be the sole cure for it. Tangs enjoy being cleaned.. they can get very stressed out trying to get a shrimp to clean them. I've seen first hand what happens to a tang when it wants cleaned, then is completely rejected over and over again. My original atlantic blue became so obsessed with getting the peppermints to clean him, that he wouldn't even take out time to eat anymore. The stress was very high, eventually he got very weak and got ich like crazy. He was the only fish to get it at that time. I had no visible signs of ich, up until that point. Both of my original tangs were QT'd and treated with copper before I even had them. That means it was likely already in the system before that. Unhappy + stress + weakness = easy target for ich.. Anything to keep the tang happy, will increase it's chances of survival. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

The naso has eaten the dictyota down to basically nothing. I have a few small patches remaining :o He's an absolute pig.. won't touch nori though, but does eat flakes, and tiny bits of frozen goods.

The only dictyota visibly left is in my sump.. Looks like I'm going to have to grow it for him, because he isn't eating anything else really. I tried garlic soaked nori, nada. hmmn....

The latest addition to my sps collection. ORA green elkhorn monti. Got it for $37 and it's a little bit bigger than a tennis ball. It has a few dead spots, so I'm going to clean it up, and then remount it after letting it adjust for a bit.

10959750_924506644228597_168496203464385

Carefully inspect that elkhorn. Mine was ravaged by Monti Eating nudis.

When it was growing it was fast, I mean fast. Cool looking coral. :)

Can you keep your RW15's in sync? Mine continually go in and out of sync, which is fine by me, but I thought it was a selling point.

Archived