Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

jedimasterben

Maybe, there's also another couple of gorgs in that family that look so similar :)

It's ultra sexy though, would love a piece of it if you were close :)

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palm Beach. Saturday I'm picking up a used 120g acrylic frag tank and a shit ton of a equipment from a guy who is getting out of the hobby.. I also nabbed about a dozen different zoas, star polyps, and some green centered pipe organs for free from a friend. I don't want the pipes or stars in my tank, but I have no where safe to keep em atm. As soon as I get time next week, I'll be working on getting it setup in my guest house. I'm definitely going to split it up.

jedimasterben

Palm Beach. Saturday I'm picking up a used 120g acrylic frag tank and a shit ton of a equipment from a guy who is getting out of the hobby.. I also nabbed about a dozen different zoas, star polyps, and some green centered pipe organs for free from a friend. I don't want the pipes or stars in my tank, but I have no where safe to keep em atm. As soon as I get time next week, I'll be working on getting it setup in my guest house. I'm definitely going to split it up.

I'll take the star polyps if you don't want em, my wife loves them.

Here's the 120g frag tank I nabbed. The top bracing needs fixed, but other then that, it's fine. There's also a shallow glass 60g with the bottom drilled and 2 20g acrylic sumps too. 1 48" 8 T5HO sunblaze fixture, 1 48" 8 T5VHO tek elite fixture, nwb-200 reef octopus skimmer, little giant 1050gph external pump, dosing pump, jbj ato, 3 hydor 1200gph pumps, and a bunch of other stuff... Not bad.

120.png

Sooooooo damn glad I picked up a refractometer today...... My SG was way off 1.038 :o Stupid cheapo plastic floats.

jedimasterben

I got ya beat. Mine was up to ~60ppt one time due to my calibration fluid for my refractometer being off. Safe to say I don't trust it anymore, calibrated or not. Gonna be purchasing a glass hydrometer to skip out on the inaccuracy.

It's wasn't off the charts, but, it wasn't great either. I'm not 100% trusting it, but I can tell you my fish are already acting better then they were since I've lowered it. The tang is running around cleaning the rocks like crazy and he wasn't doing much of that prior. I need to get some better calibration fluid for it though.

jedimasterben

It makes sense that your fish would look better - with higher salinity, dissolved oxygen levels have a far lower maximum. They can now 'breathe easy' as it is :D

It makes sense that your fish would look better - with higher salinity, dissolved oxygen levels have a far lower maximum. They can now 'breathe easy' as it is :D

Yep.

Couldn't find calibration fluid locally, so I picked up a floating glass hydrometer in the meantime. Refract is reading higher today, then it was the day it got it... Glass one claims it's almost spot on 1.026, the refract is reading dead on 1.030. LOL :closedeyes:

jedimasterben

If you've got a floating glass hydrometer, I wouldn't even bother with the refractometer IMHO, the glass will be far more accurate with no calibration so long as you rinse it after each use :)

Spiderguardnano

If you've got a floating glass hydrometer, I wouldn't even bother with the refractometer IMHO, the glass will be far more accurate with no calibration so long as you rinse it after each use :)

im in the market for new refractometer any one in particular you would suggest?

It's ultra sexy though, would love a piece of it if you were close :)

The wrasse managed to knock one of my hydors out of the suction cup and broke a few tips off the gorg on it's way down. So I had no choice in fragging it. Still need to attach three more.

23.png

So apparently I have some hidden shrimp in my system somewhere that had babies <_< There's easily a few hundred swimming between the display and sump. They aren't pods either. The wrasse is going to have a field day!

Decided to frag the gorg further.. It's a lil too big for ideal placement in the tank anyways. Still plenty more cuttings to take.

25.png

Happy to report that all the gorg cuttings are open and and doing well :lol: I need to take some time out and clean the display up a bit. Also banished a blue leg to the sump for eating one of my zoas...

Boring overall shot of the day lol

26.png

I need one of those purple skin gorgs. :)

The scape looks great, totally natural with that big rock rising in the middle. Can't wait to see this thing fill out!

I need one of those purple skin gorgs. :)

The scape looks great, totally natural with that big rock rising in the middle. Can't wait to see this thing fill out!

Thanks, I tried.. with my old setups, I had a hard time being happy with the scapes. I spent countless hours hunched over, redoing them from time to time. I'm quite happy with this one and plan to leave it mostly alone. The chunks of live rock sitting on either side won't be staying. Eventually, they will end up in the refugium after more seeding has occurred. The gorg is a beast! I could frag it into hundred pieces and it probably wouldn't even skip a beat. I've never had a gorg do this well, so I'm very stoked about it :D

So... my wrasse has been Mia for just over three days now somewhere in the sandbed. The jawfish is Mia, haven't seen him since adding.. and it's possible my jewel damsels have paired up. Besides all that, the tank is doing good.

Archived