Cultivated Reef

75g Reef Tank [Retired]

jinx

I dipped the monti, nothing came off of it... The place I got it from always has issues keeping corals alive for long, that's why I rescued it :happy: Bad water chemistry is most likely the cause of the damage done to it. I've only had them up and running since last night, but they haven't gone out of sync yet. Wireless devices using the same frequency can interrupt the signal. Might want to check your other wireless devices to see. I have the controllers mounted on either end of the stand with the backs facing each other. I'll keep my eye on them when I can.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.. came home to find them out of sync. Switched the slave to the master and all is fine for the moment. I'll be digging into this issue deeper when I get some time. <_<

If I toggle my master to slave, off, and back to master they will be in sync for a while, then drift out. It gets really funky if you start changing the wave frequency of the master pump. Sometimes the slave will follow, sometimes it starts missing cycles (stays on or stays off) and sometimes just goes bat shit crazy. :)

I got what I paid for, a nice strong pump for cheap, and a controller with lots of colored LEDs.

I have a few wireless devices within it's range, not to mention a shit ton of other wireless signals that I can pick up in that room from neighboring areas. I'm home all day today, so I'm going to watch it closely and change the frequency of my router. It didn't happen over night again, so I also wonder if the photoresistor has something to do with it. I want to open a controller up and take a look at it. If all else fails, and they continue to screw up, I'll build a arduino controller for them.

So far, no syncing issues have shown.. since changing the slave to the master. That doesn't mean it won't do it again, but I have also covered the photoresistor with tape for now. Curious if it has to due with power fluctuations resetting the state of the controllers.. In the meantime, I've changed my router up a bit, just to make sure it wasn't causing the problem. I also contacted a couple places today and found one that will order me a new controller for $20, not too bad. I don't want to open up the only ones have currently, so this will give me one mess with :) In other news, the naso seems fully committed to eating nori. It even came to my hand, to check it out while I was placing it in the tank. The tang is the only one so far who is fully enjoying the new wave action.. LOL

Had to add some crushed rubble to the front of the sand bed today to keep the sand in place with the RW-15s pumping. I really need to invest in a good camera one of these days.. The elkhorn is already showing new growth :)

11017787_928352430510685_544499453542413

Just got the controller and opened it up. It's running a nRF24L01 radio, a fairly common arduino module. Many users have had trouble getting the nRF24L01 modules to work. Short bit of digging has pulled this up > "Problems with intermittent operation are because of electrical noise on the 3.3V Power supply. Solution: ADD bypass capacitors across GND and 3.3V ON the radio modules. One user said, "Just Solder a 100nF ceramic cap across the gnd and 3.3v pins direct on the nrf24l01+ modules!" Some have used a 1uF to 10uF capacitor." I'll play with it more later...

Well some sad crazy news.. Woke up this morning to find the naso barely alive. He somehow got impaled through the eye by one of my birds nest. I've seen it all now... Sadly, he didn't make it much longer after attempting to save the poor guy :( he must have been freaking out and in the process broke a couple sps which I'm going to have to frag... ugh

Whoa that is crazy...

Baffled as to what caused this to happen...

Forgot to add this from the other day. My par readings with 6x54w T5HO 6" from the waters surface. Done with a Apogee mq-200.

1488065_934313509914577_8649495741808406

I'll probably lose the pink bird that was involved in the main incident. It's pretty beat up and losing tissue quick :( Still trying to figure out what the hell happened, everyone else is fine.

Sk8n Reefer

Well some sad crazy news.. Woke up this morning to find the naso barely alive. He somehow got impaled through the eye by one of my birds nest. I've seen it all now... Sadly, he didn't make it much longer after attempting to save the poor guy :( he must have been freaking out and in the process broke a couple sps which I'm going to have to frag... ugh

Wow- that's intense. Sorry to hear about that. I've never heard of that happening to a fish.

On the bright side of things, some of my acro's are getting their color back and my german blue digitata is growing like crazy!

Archived