Cultivated Reef

My Flower Box

gena

Probably right about the one that keeps moving. And when I originally moved the lemon over and it was facing more of the light, it started to go deeper in to the crevice below it (and there's a hole there cuz no rock) so I picked up the rock and turned it and now it's facing out which I think it does like better. I also wonder if certain colors react differently. Do lighter ones like light less and colorful ones more?

In my case, I have an orange one that is at the top of the rocks in full light and it's content. I have another orange one that's at the bottom of the tank, at sand level, half shaded and half in the light...it's also perfectly content. What does that say???? I think they are all pretty adaptable to any light condition, in my experience thus far. :)

The anemones are really nice... I need to find some with nice colors like these. How long has this tank been up? And what do you do for feeding and water changes? I recently set up a pico as well that has been up for about 2 months now... I'm trying to find out and compare what other people do for maintenance to what I do. A lot of these pico tanks seem to get taken down really fast... I'm hoping to leave mine up for a couple of years and see how it does.

Anyways, this is looking great, nice job!

Thanks! I've gotten mine from Reefgardener.net, sealifeinc.net, aquascapers.com, and vipreef.com. I've been happy with the anemones from each place....you can't go wrong with them.

I think this has been running about a month now (edit: just checked, yep a little over a month). I don't have any fish so I mostly dose live phytofeast and oyster feast every other day. A couple of times a week I drop pellets into the tank for the nass snails. The pellets also float into the anemones and they eat them.

I change out about 1/2 gallon of water every week. This is sooooo easy compared to my 45g cube. I love it :wub:. I hope to keep mine running until we move in about 5 years or so.

Thanks for checking out my pico..I'll be sure to take a look at yours too!!!! We are kinda similar...I see you run a 40b and a 2.5 pico. I have a 45g cube and this 3g pico :D.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG omgomgomg I'm echoing your sentiment!!!. That is exciting because 1) I didn't know how they reproduced and it apparently just dropped a baby for you and 2) I've never seen this on NR, and 3) it's such a young tank. Gena, dubbed now Queen Mother of the Sea!! Ha, that just made me think of Monty Python and dropping babies. :D What are you calling it????

Pretty hot looking pico your rocking ova there! This lil tank is filling out quite nicley! The macros are my favorite in there. Glad the Blue O. is growing well for you. That scroll is looking killer to. Woa, a behbe nem already :o:naughtydance:

Looks like all the bow chicka wow wow going on in your other tank is rubbing off on this one! Sexy time must have hitchhiked on the gorg you moved over :lol:

OMG omgomgomg I'm echoing your sentiment!!!. That is exciting because 1) I didn't know how they reproduced and it apparently just dropped a baby for you and 2) I've never seen this on NR, and 3) it's such a young tank. Gena, dubbed now Queen Mother of the Sea!! Ha, that just made me think of Monty Python and dropping babies. :D What are you calling it????

I'm soooo excited about this!!!!!! No name yet :).

Remember a couple of weeks ago I thought the Pink Zebra was shooting eggs out???? I don't know if this is from that or if the nearest anemone "dropped" this thing. I'm pretty sure they only reproduce by eggs so if that's the case...this should be a pink zebra lookalike. It's too early to tell right now!!!! :)

Why am I not surprised? :P Not only do yours stay visible.......now they're multiplying! Which one is it from?

I don't know. Maybe Pink Zebra. It has an orange look to it. omgomgomg

I've been trying to spot others but so far I just see this one. I hope it grows well for me :D.

Pretty hot looking pico your rocking ova there! This lil tank is filling out quite nicley! The macros are my favorite in there. Glad the Blue O. is growing well for you. That scroll is looking killer to. Woa, a behbe nem already :o:naughtydance:

Looks like all the bow chicka wow wow going on in your other tank is rubbing off on this one! Sexy time must have hitchhiked on the gorg you moved over :lol:

Thanks, Z!!!! The macros are growing great for me. I'm really starting to like the rigid red one that is at the top of the rocks. Since it's getting bigger, I'm liking all the new growth it's putting out. It looks pretty with it's white growth tips contrasting with the deeper reddish pink of most of it.

How do you keep your water parameters in check

I just make sure to do my water change once a week. 1/2 gallon.

Wow !!!! You have a baby!!! That's the first baby one I've seen someone get. Congrats, you must be doing something right :) love this little tank.

I know omgomgomg. Thanks so much :happy:.

I took some photos today. You can see the baby at the bottom left, if you look closely :D.

FTS 12-10-13

pico121013no1_zpsfe9dced8.jpg

pico121013no2_zps71985545.jpg

I added some Aquascapers green palys to my paly collection in here. They were in my cube. I think they look nice in here :).

pico121013no3_zps448ee6d9.jpg

heh, i like how you are moving things over to free up room in your cube for more stuff

That's the best part about having a pico... a good place to put all your tiny frags from your main tank where they won't get lost or knocked over. Almost all of my corals in my pico have come out of my main tank

Congratulations!!!

Thanks, Clarinet!!!! :)

heh, i like how you are moving things over to free up room in your cube for more stuff

I'm gonna need a bigger pico :lol:.

That's the best part about having a pico... a good place to put all your tiny frags from your main tank where they won't get lost or knocked over. Almost all of my corals in my pico have come out of my main tank

So true :)

A pico is a natural progression when you have a larger tank. You really don't need to buy anything, just transfer over from the big tank. :)

what happened to your magicians?? back into the big tank?

Magicians were having trouble where they were so I moved them to the side to see if they would open. Nada. So I just today moved them to the top. They are starting to peek out a tiny bit...we'll see what happens with them. You can see them in the middle photo, closed, at the very top.

between the ochtodes and the zoas, right??

Yes....but that's not ochtodes, that's my coralline bush :).

Magicians were having trouble where they were so I moved them to the side to see if they would open. Nada. So I just today moved them to the top. They are starting to peek out a tiny bit...we'll see what happens with them. You can see them in the middle photo, closed, at the very top.

Yes....but that's not ochtodes, that's my coralline bush :).

Ha, oops. learning!!!!

Can you school me a bit about your nems?

Am entertaining the idea in the distant future to get a SMALL nem for my pico...after it matures and becomes stable.

Flower Rock vs. maxi-mini? What do you think?

Ha, oops. learning!!!!

They are similar looking, easy mistake. :)

Can you school me a bit about your nems?

Am entertaining the idea in the distant future to get a SMALL nem for my pico...after it matures and becomes stable.

Flower Rock vs. maxi-mini? What do you think?

Personally I like the rock flowers better. I just like the looks of the flowers better. Care-wise, they are the same. Maxi minis may move more than the rock flowers. I think the maxi minis have a stronger sting too, for fish. Both are beautiful though. You can have both in your tank too, they just can't touch. Kinda hard to do in a pico :).

Personally I like the rock flowers better. I just like the looks of the flowers better. Care-wise, they are the same. Maxi minis may move more than the rock flowers. I think the maxi minis have a stronger sting too, for fish. Both are beautiful though. You can have both in your tank too, they just can't touch. Kinda hard to do in a pico :).

Thanks. Might have to start small, like with a baby <cough>...

Ahhh, ok. I wondered if it was a gorg. Looks great. This tank is gorgeous! Every time I see it, it's like I see something new. Sheesh. Between you, kat, and Nanotopia, I can't keep up!

Yeah...it's larger/thicker than the typical gorgonian you see in most tanks. I'm sure I'll have to trim it often, especially in a pico.

Awe...thanks :happy:. There are a lot of fantastic tanks on this site, for sure :). I can't keep up with all of them :lol:.

Archived