ReefCleaners.org

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

I don't see why you couldn't get a sheet of acrylic or glass, cut to specification at a glass place and then have 'em cut either holes or might be easier to make slits.

I thought about the acrylic thing but not sure how to anchor it. Maybe I could use suction cups at the top and wedge the bottom into the sand or something.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about the acrylic thing but not sure how to anchor it. Maybe I could use suction cups at the top and wedge the bottom into the sand or something.

Just thought about it and why not get acrylic or glass sheet cut to size (1/16" or 1/8" smaller the actual depth - this way, no silicon/glue lines will be visible) then glue/silicon bottom piece of about 6-8" wide for the base (think of a letter "T") ..."..... Set it at the bare bottom (you could use few drops of silicon to secure it in place) and cover it with sand for stability. You might want to secure the panel to the back wall as well. Then use your imagination with rock work. I think it might work but I haven't seen it done before.

I just siliconed it but I did read somewhere on NR where someone used that weather stripping, then they put some vaseline or something along the 2 edges of glass, then slid it down and it was in there taut and could be taken out if necessary. It's a thought anyway if you don't want to glue it.

Just don't want to drain the tank but you guys definitely giving me ideas once I move everything into Ivy's cube. Thanks!

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I don't see why you couldn't get a sheet of acrylic or glass, cut to specification at a glass place and then have 'em cut either holes or might be easier to make slits.

I used to keep fancy freshwater bettas. I have seen this done often...as long as whatever you want to separate can't get through the holes you should be good.

Good Girl Gertie! I held 2 dangly pieces of PE mysis shrimp in front of Gertie. She'd hide & go under the rock but come back out again a couple times. She grabbed them from me and went away. She didn't hit me, I didn't quickly remove my hand. I didn't let her touch me but at least she took it from skin instead of metal. No pics or video. I have no video capability. She was real sweet about it. :wub: love my Gertie.

Wow, after the feeding the other day by hand, I came up to the glass when I saw Gertie's head pop out and put my finger on the glass- she zipped out real fast. Look, you can tell she's growing- her features are changing a little, more yellow on the legs.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/2462_zps9850bdfa.jpg.html'>2462_zps9850bdfa.jpg

I decided to try feed her again since she was so interactive.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/2463_zpsa2a7084a.jpg.html'>2463_zpsa2a7084a.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/2465_zps91ee8953.jpg.html'>2465_zps91ee8953.jpg

Winner, Winner Fish Frenzy Dinner!!

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/2469_zps3bdde4aa.jpg.html'>2469_zps3bdde4aa.jpg

Islandoftiki

Haha, I've started a trend. Everyone is hand feeding now! That last picture really shows how tiny she is. So cute!

Haha, I've started a trend. Everyone is hand feeding now! That last picture really shows how tiny she is. So cute!

I wanted to try because I figured I wanted to get her used to me now so when I do things in her tank she wouldn't hit me. Of course they run and hide in the rocks when I'm moving plants or whatever but still. And I figured if you had luck w/ Ms. Betty and she's already older, why not try now when they're younger.

My ultimate goal one day is a pic of her sitting in the palm of my hand in the tank.

Ok, that is pretty cute :).

She is, she is. I mean look at the way she's looking at me in picture 2, like a puppy, her head's almost cocked.

She is, she is. I mean look at the way she's looking at me in picture 2, like a puppy, her head's almost cocked.

If they stayed that small, I think they'd be great :) Cute little harmless creatures.
Islandoftiki

I have little fear of being hammered. Betty has hammered me a half dozen times and it hasn't really hurt. Let's jut hope she doesn't get a bee in her bonnet some day and stab me. The stabbing is what scares me. Imagine explaining that at the emergency room... Yeah, I have a piece of mantis shrimp dactyl lodged in the bone in my finger.

Even if she did hit me I doubt it would hurt so I really don't have any fear putting my finger in there. I've put my hand in there anyway, replanting macro that has bobbed up because it is so light and there's only like an inch of sand in there holding it down.

It's funny watching her because you can tell she really wants to get the food, but she then backs off, even more reason for me to not back off. She's certainly the more social one and the one that makes more noise in the tank.

Geneva on the other hand is more antisocial, don't see her out as much, except just now I saw her beating on the urchin. That was funny. It's fuzzy but funny because of the size too. She just doesn't like the urchin. Just after this pic she was actively pounding on it from the side.

018_zps60face25.jpg

But here's the grand Lady Gertie, I think she's posing. She's a ham. Just about every time, she stops to look at me. She's finally getting bigger where I don't have to make the pic larger.

009_zpseec51b9f.jpg

001_zps86b7ac56.jpg

She has got to be the cutest little thing ever.

Do you have any earlier pictures from Betty's previous owner? OH, I like the fuscia she has goin' on. Beautiful. The coloration surrounding her face and body is just as wonderful as her personality.

Islandoftiki

Do you have any earlier pictures from Betty's previous owner? OH, I like the fuscia she has goin' on. Beautiful. The coloration surrounding her face and body is just as wonderful as her personality.

No, I don't think they doted over her like I do, witnessed by the fact that her tank had well over 40 ppm of nitrates when I got her. I do have pictures of her when I first got her though. Her coloring was much more dull and olive drab green.

No, I don't think they doted over her like I do, witnessed by the fact that her tank had well over 40 ppm of nitrates when I got her. I do have pictures of her when I first got her though. Her coloring was much more dull and olive drab green.

Luckily my gals are tiny right now so I can control the nitrates pretty well w/ water changes and macro but when they get bigger I may need to think otherwise. Sitting at 2 right now with a fish in each side, just the AC30 w/ floss and carbon and the Hydor Koralia for motion but I still get some residue on the walls I clean off w/ a toothbrush.

Islandoftiki

Luckily my gals are tiny right now so I can control the nitrates pretty well w/ water changes and macro but when they get bigger I may need to think otherwise. Sitting at 2 right now with a fish in each side, just the AC30 w/ floss and carbon and the Hydor Koralia for motion but I still get some residue on the walls I clean off w/ a toothbrush.

That's pretty good. Betty's tank rarely gets over trace detectable amounts of nitrate with my Elos kit.. Maybe 1 ppm at most. Even SPS corals need a small amount of nitrates and phosphates to be healthy. Soft corals are happier with 2-5ppm IMO. That's what I run in Chuck's tank.

I like feeding the LRS Reef Frenzy because it's clean food. And I have been putting some Selcon here n' there for them too.

Gertie went to higher ground today. Hadn't seen her climb this halimeda yet. Looks like she's perching like an eagle. Ha- she looks so high up there! At the top of that it makes her a third up the tank. I tried feeding Geneva but she stayed away, she wouldn't come near. This will obviously take longer acclimation for her. I love how social Gertie is though. I sometimes wonder if she can see the 34 which is 12 ft away from her tank. Do we know anything about distance and mantis vision?

012_zps28853e35.jpg

013_zpse813752b.jpg

Archived