Cultivated Reef

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

I'm so sorry! That really sucks and its sad that you had to witness it. If I had found K's body, I probably would have buried him in the garden, I wouldn't have had the heart to flush him either. Its so sad when our little guys die. My first clown was a black and white, I got him when he was so tiny he couldn't even fit a whole piece of mysis in his mouth. He ended up bloating really bad and the day I lost him, I cried like a baby and buried him under my daffodils.

Yeah, I don't know if it was some spat they had during the day when I wasn't here but it was quiet when I got home, then 11:40ish on Full moon eve, the bashing started and was over.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I was hoping they would be close enough in size that it wouldn't come to this.

Yeah, I was surprised to see she was 1.25. The other one has to be 1.5 stretched out, they just seem shorter because of being hunched over sometimes. Miss that little green girl already. I haven't seen the other yet.

:( Sorry. Hope you are feeling better today :grouphug:

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was really upset when my little G. Viridis died. I can only imagine how you feel. Unfortunately, that's life in the big ocean. Everybody eats or gets eaten in the long run. Sadly, it doesn't make this bitter pill any easier to swallow.

Sorry about your little one. Dont worry too much about it. And thru your experience, others might learn a thing or two about these cute guys.

Thanks everybody. I thought about her when I was at lunch walking outside at work and when I some some salty friends there as well. I'll be feeding this one in a moment and then I'll know who she is I think. I haven't seen her yet, haven't heard any more pounding- I've been home only 40 mins. She hasn't come out yet.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Yeah, it's Gertie. She has a more curious way about her, wanting to see what's what. Here she is examining the magnifying glass.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/104_zps2c1ad382.jpg.html'>104_zps2c1ad382.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/105_zps95d3ede5.jpg.html'>105_zps95d3ede5.jpg

She still has food left, in that hole she was pounding & then getting rid of shell pieces by pushing them out w/ her back legs. RIP Geneva.

I wouldn't feed it for at least few days. I remember when one of my fire shrimps died and it didn't make sense to just flush it down the toilet. So it end up in Mantis tank. She loved it and had enough for several days. How I know that........ well, she wouldn't touch her usual snacks. Even when I squeezed her krill in her cave, she would push it out in a matter of seconds.

Little assassins ;)

FlowerMama

Yeh, and I'll check to see if the nitrate has changed any in the tank. It was usually like 3 and now there's only one mantis. I am thinking I might put the Aquaticlife mini 115 skimmer in there instead of the 34 and get a larger one for the 34. Part of me thinks she's still too small though and could end up going into the skimmer opening.

FlowerMama

Pic of Gertie, she's getting bigger with this last meal she had (ahem!!). I can finally see her wrecking balls more easily. There was something on the rock that she was just wanting to get and she wasn't bashful about showing them.

044_zpsa6ddd768.jpg

043_zps9893c900.jpg

FlowerMama

Did a little work on the macro and cleaning the media and I notice Ocean is no more. The yellow damsel. She was pretty blue, now she's probably pretty eaten. So, no wonder Gertie didn't come out when I went to feed her today. Precious, the Royal Gramma, she's still doing well. I need to come up w/ a different title still for this thread.

027_zps9e9db032.jpg

Sorry ya lost the damsel. I now feed Ivy every other day, sometimes every day to keep her from eating the fish.

FlowerMama

Yeah, I was feeding her every other too but I think once she got the taste of fresh meat from eating Geneva, it was all over. Before I don't know if she thought of them as a food source.

Yeah, as sad as it is, that's what mantis do. It might seem a bit odd or cruel but I actually let her hunt for fresh fish if she gets the cravings for it................. As long as she is happy and leaves my Wyoming White and Cardinal alone.

FlowerMama

Yeah, I put a damsel because most folks do seem to have a damsel 1) because they're mean usually to everything else and 2) they're fast and 3) cheap. Once they're sleeping it's just gonna happen one night. Funny thing is that snails are still in there. Just must be more difficult to break them.

I think part of the reason my clown has survived with Ivy so long is my clown sleeps at the surface of the water and not in the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's Gertie's first time on video. I wanted to show her eating out my hand but instead she kept bobbing in/out of the tunnel. She wouldn't make the leap, so here she is just grabbing it.

Archived