Coral Vue Hydros

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

They're wonderfully intelligent. Here's a recent pic of my girlie Gertie. Came out really dark. She scurries so much I can't get good shots in the jungle.

006_zps89a8ef63.jpg

does she have her own tank then?

are they considered pests because they

eat coral, etc?? she's a sweetie.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are considered pests, not because they eat coral.. They will move coral around though. They're considered pests because they'll kill little snails and fish and if you have one, you might go a little while without seeing it but if you hear clicking noise, then it could be a mantis. Whereas a pistol shrimp has more of a pop sound I always think my Gertie has more of a clicking sound. They'll beat on the rocks to make their holes wider. I did have 2 for a long time, split tank, if you saw the beginning of the thread.

When I started my 34g on Halloween last year I got my rocks from Sealife Inc, KPAquatics. I found 3 mantis shrimp sitting on top of a rock. I gave one to my friend Randi, I kept the 2 smallest and divided the 20g w/ acrylic down the middle so each had their own side, otherwise they'd kill each other, that's just what they do. Gertie was the smallest. Her friend, which i called her sister Geneva was not much bigger. One day the one was in the other's tank after a crazy evening of mishaps and I said forget it, let nature do what does. Gertie won. She put Geneva in a head and body lock of sorts and beat her senseless. And then she ate her little bit by bit.

The End.

I love Gertie though as she conquered, she was the smaller one but let me feed her first by hand and she was the most friendly/brave with me. That helped her, she outgrew Geneva. So after that I took out the divider I siliconed in. She has the 20 by herself. This variety remains small. She's 2" now but will probably only be 3-3.5". Can't believe it'll be a year soon with her.

I keep mine with 6 fish (not bottom dwellers), 2 hitchiker clams, a tuxedo urchin, and a starfish. So far she only eats hermit crabs/snails. As long as I glue the coral down, she won't move it. I feed her every other day so she leaves the fish alone. Why chase a fast fish when she has me trained so well? lol

does she have her own tank then?

are they considered pests because they

eat coral, etc?? she's a sweetie.

I'll have a rearranged tank to show tomorrow for Gertie.

Did a 5 gallon water change.

I cut down/out the macro so I could see her better.

I rearranged the rocks somewhat, still might break apart a long one on the left side.

I moved around some shells into piles here n' there so she'll have to hunt for what she wants.

She's probably not thrilled. I took away some forest but I know it'll grow back.

I keep mine with 6 fish (not bottom dwellers), 2 hitchiker clams, a tuxedo urchin, and a starfish. So far she only eats hermit crabs/snails. As long as I glue the coral down, she won't move it. I feed her every other day so she leaves the fish alone. Why chase a fast fish when she has me trained so well? lol

You say that so well, mine had me trained in a day. She'd pound on something....I'D COME RUNNING!! repeatedly.

I too have several snails, had 2 fish, the royal gramma remains. I did have a yellow tail damsel but....she ate her, shortly after she had tasted fresh meat from Geneva. I do feed pellets to the fish and also throw in LRS Fish Frenzy for Gertie and of course the royal gramma gets some floating pieces here n' there.

She'd pound on something....I'D COME RUNNING!! repeatedly.

haha, that is exactly it! If I miss a day, Ivy smacks the front glass repeatedly till she gets what she wants.

i love the backstory! thank you for sharing!!

they definitely seem like they have personality.

too cute!

and 1st, wow, she is Queen Bee or Queen Mantis

in her own domain!

The light is very basic, it's just a white strip w/ 5 little blue lights so it's just a macro tank really. It came with my 34 gallon tank and stand but I found the use for hit here and put a Kessil A350 on my 34. Worked out great.

When I first go into this hobby and joined nano reef, I thought everyone was crazy for having multiple tanks.

Thankfully I'm renting an apartment or I would probably be overrun with different tanks!!

it's quite simple how it happens. I had an Evolve8, w/in 2 mos I wanted to go bigger. I should have done it to begin with. My sister works for Petsmart and she saw a 34g Marineland tank & stand, got it for me cheaper, it was going on clearance and she used her discount. So then I bought a 20g because I wanted to put a refugium underneath. 20g wouldn't fit in the stand. So as I was unpacking my live rock from KP Aquatics, I found 3 mantis shrimp, oerstedii variety, so I kept 2 and gave 1 to a friend and had each tiny little girl in an enclosed cup while the 20g cycled and I put a divider down the middle. That was tank 3 now. Then I got so hooked on rock flowers that I was buying for my 34 I ran out of room, so w/ tax refund money going I got the 60g rock flower breeding tank going. And that's how it goes. :wub: . And that's also where it ends. Being single my hands are full.

it's quite simple how it happens. I had an Evolve8, w/in 2 mos I wanted to go bigger. I should have done it to begin with. My sister works for Petsmart and she saw a 34g Marineland tank & stand, got it for me cheaper, it was going on clearance and she used her discount. So then I bought a 20g because I wanted to put a refugium underneath. 20g wouldn't fit in the stand. So as I was unpacking my live rock from KP Aquatics, I found 3 mantis shrimp, oerstedii variety, so I kept 2 and gave 1 to a friend and had each tiny little girl in an enclosed cup while the 20g cycled and I put a divider down the middle. That was tank 3 now. Then I got so hooked on rock flowers that I was buying for my 34 I ran out of room, so w/ tax refund money going I got the 60g rock flower breeding tank going. And that's how it goes. :wub: .

My tax refund is totally going to another tank!!

You've got me wanting RFA's too!

My tax refund is totally going to another tank!!

You've got me wanting RFA's too!

ha. I think I got quite a few people hooked. I bought one for my fist tank and it was love since then.

Nice giant sized meal for her... I wasn't sure if it was going to fit inside her little cave :)

Could always add some sun corals in there... ofc that would be more mouths to feed :lol:

Nice giant sized meal for her... I wasn't sure if it was going to fit inside her little cave :)

Could always add some sun corals in there... ofc that would be more mouths to feed :lol:

I have always wanted some sun corals actually. I think the black variety would be perfect for this tank.

I'd just do all kinds of macros in there, its really special.

Yeah, I need to break out and get some more macros. What's a good online site for those?

is that hole in the rock her usual resting

and hiding place, 1st? or does she have

several hidey holes?? :)

Yes, she has a couple, but that's her favorite. She'll very soon have to enlarge it or find a larger hole in the rock next to it maybe as she's getting a touch wider slowly but surely.

So I moved the urchin from the 34 g. All my pencil urchins were hitchhikers 11 mos ago, had like 3 and as they would grow and there were babies I'd move out the bigger ones, gave some to a friend.

I'll probably have to check the macro algae forum for some ideas so I can see what they look like. I know I want something light green if there is, like those green butter mints.

Archived