Top Shelf Aquatics

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

Great thing is you only need a 20L for something like a Neogonodactulus wennerae like what I have. Mine loves her rock and she walks around in search of food- she'll only get to 2 3/4 long and she's 2" now.

However, next one I want will be a havanensis also on their site, slightly bigger up to 3-3.5.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing what eyes they have, polarised light, ultraviolet, colors literally unimaginable to humans all easily visible to them, I kinda envy them lol. Mantis shrimp are amazing creations.

FlowerMama

Amazing what eyes they have, polarised light, ultraviolet, colors literally unimaginable to humans all easily visible to them, I kinda envy them lol. Mantis shrimp are amazing creations.

You should get one! Wonderful prices on KPAquatics site. You'll find them under the Shrimp and Mantis Shrimp section. They have great prices for everything they have. And awesome customer service.

You should get one! Wonderful prices on KPAquatics site. You'll find them under the Shrimp and Mantis Shrimp section. They have great prices for everything they have. And awesome customer service.

some day in the future, at present I'm trying to save up several thousand to buy a trailer/ vending cart, every dollar counts.
FlowerMama

And they discovered their eyes can detect cancer. The stomatopods have it going on!!!! Not to mention the military is studying their hard shells and their eyes for those reasons you mentioned, to help see.

The more I follow your thread, the more I want a mantis shrimp!!

Perhaps I'll salvage what I can when I upgrade my BC in a couple years and make a simple mantis tank.

What's your cleaning routine like for her tank?

FlowerMama

The more I follow your thread, the more I want a mantis shrimp!!

Perhaps I'll salvage what I can when I upgrade my BC in a couple years and make a simple mantis tank.

What's your cleaning routine like for her tank?

Barely anything. I have the macro in there and the small Aquaticlife skimmer. I baste the sand here n' there. It's only she and the royal gramma so seriously, i rarely have to do anything besides a water change once a month. I have 2 small AC30 filters with some floss, sometimes some carbon and that's it.

• 2 weeks later...
FlowerMama

Just a recent pic of the nems in here. 4 more went in after I'd had some losses. Have a Coral Compulsion Par 38 over this now so the nems should be happier and the macro algae wasn't getting enough light either. Since it is so bright I put a piece of plastic canvas on top to help diffuse some light until I get the dimmer that I bought from Lowes on it. Not sure how I'll do that yet as it looks like it needs an outlet to itself. I need to see if it's something I can put in the strip.

20150606_153646_zps44yzr5dx.jpg

Anyone use one of these for their Par 38?

20150606_154308_zpsizi0ei6j.jpg

jedimasterben

They don't all work with all LED drivers. I would ask Coral Compulsion what they recommend to use.

FlowerMama

Flowermama you should be called the flowerqueen your nems are so nice.

Well, nature made them pretty, then someone picked them, all I did was feed some. NOW, if I can get babies growing successfully and many of them then I can finally live up to FlowerMama name.

They don't all work with all LED drivers. I would ask Coral Compulsion what they recommend to use.

Yeah, I'll do that if I can't get it to work. Or I might just stay cheap and leave the plastic canvas on top.

FlowerMama

Ok. Easier than I thought. Plugged it in to my timer. This light is too bright. It's a dimmable Par38 from Coral Comp.

Ok. Easier than I thought. Plugged it in to my timer. This light is too bright. It's a dimmable Par38 from Coral Comp.

Is it sad when you turned up the dimmer I flinched it was so bright so fast now I know how my corals felt with my metal halides. :lol:

FlowerMama

So, I used my dremel to cut out a spot for the fixture just now and here it is. I'm still keeping the cheap marineland light on top for the rest of the tank.

20150607_153830_zpsbz0cbu9n.jpg

20150607_152913_zpssclffnsi.jpg

Interesting idea for the lights. I hope your RFAs enjoy!

What dremel do you have? I'm thinking I need one for reef and general household use.

HarryPotter

Haha in the video you must have said "pleased" like a dozen times :P

Really cool! If one gets the Par38s in bulk that could be a really cheap method for a frag tank

FlowerMama

Interesting idea for the lights. I hope your RFAs enjoy!

What dremel do you have? I'm thinking I need one for reef and general household use.

I don't know, it was just the regular dremel with a tiny saw blade looking thing on the front.

Haha in the video you must have said "pleased" like a dozen times :P

Really cool! If one gets the Par38s in bulk that could be a really cheap method for a frag tank

Well, I was REALLY pleased that the $17 item worked and didn't have to go for something fancier. I also cleaned off the acrylic top as it was dirty and wasn't dispersing the light into the tank as it was reflecting it back up.

• 4 weeks later...

Water change time for Gertie. And once I end up getting the rock flowers out I'm gonna clean up her tank. I remember being told once, Oh, they LOVE rubble. Well, I put rubble in there and lots of shells and hell, she makes her own rubble when she breaks down rock, powdery thought it is. Not like I've ever seen her pick up rubble rock and carry it across the tank. She'll be getting a clean up. Video to follow.

20150630_191928_zpsnmozz3eo.jpg

FlowerMama

She was curious to see what happened after I basted the tank and took 1/3 of the water out.

Archived