inTank Media Baskets

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

This looks so nice! I like it!

Thanks,I'm hoping to get some good pics of the girls today and tomorrow. They're growing. They each get a chunk of food about the size of a pea every 2 days. It's nice not to have to do a water change on each side.

FlowerMama

Pics of both girls, not sure which is which at the moment .

010_zps6d01b34d.jpg

005_zps5fcb9f7d.jpg

011_zpscb8e1179.jpg

003_zps9ac66845.jpg

012_zps8318265a.jpg

016_zps040103f2.jpg

018_zps65f26761.jpg

FlowerMama

They look good! Anymore fighting?

Nope, not since that one night, I put my hand in the tank to get some algae w/ a toothbrush and it scared her so she hid on top. They sure can swim fast and along the surface as well. They both accepted food from my hand tonight. The first one that ate had to be Gertie. She came out quickly. The other was hesitant. Wish I could get a side by side shot somehow to really compare them. I still think even though Geneva was originally the bigger girl, Gertie passed her up since she was more social and came out for food.

I'M ON TOP OF THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRLLLDDDDDDDDDDDD

King of the mountain! kinda of.

FlowerMama

I think I'm hearing and barely seeing the end of a mantis life tonight. Lights went off. Lots of pounding. Didn't feel right to me. I turn the light back on. All I can see are the 2 together facing each other but you can tell one has a hold on the other. I break it up. Then I see again a fleeting moment after hearing pounding, the bigger darker one carrying off the little lighter green one. Still don't know who is who. I've picked up each rock multiple times to try break it up to put one in the fuge. Now it's been quiet the last couple minutes. I know w/ the pounding one got it's only a matter of time. I know the strongest survive and it's natural, I just hate to witness it.

I just checked 2014 full moon schedule- 5/14- tomorrow. Damn. It's eerily quiet now. Damn, Damn, Damn :( . I'll um.. let you guys know in a few mins if I see anything more. I knew in the end it would happen but was just hopeful, like anyone else woulda been.

FlowerMama

Oh I'm so sorry :(.

Thanks Rollajase. I'm a mess right now. I didn't know if they played dead or anything so I put her in the fuge for a moment. She didn't move a peep. I didn't want her to get eaten by the other. I didn't want her to have that taste on her lips. At least I saved them that day 10/31 from getting tossed in the garbage. She lived 7 more mos had I not. But the one kept getting in the other's side, so eventually I just had to let it be. Even though Gertie started out smaller, she was more adventurous and came out for food more so she passed up Geneva in size quickly. I'm pretty sure it's Gertie I have now. Strongest little one survives, overtakes. I'll be able to verify that for sure when I go to hand feed tomorrow. She was always quick to come out and grab and go. She'd even watch me from the certain hole in the rock when I look over from my arm chair. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

FlowerMama

Sorry for your loss. :(

Thank You Shadowlurker. I know it's survival of the fittest but I was hoping the two girls could cohabitate since there was no man to fight over. Geneva obviously did something to upset Gertie while the lights were on.

Poor fella. When you take in a new animal, you feel responsible for them - so when ones dies we feel both sad and a little responsible. Sorry for your loss..

FlowerMama

Poor fella. When you take in a new animal, you feel responsible for them - so when ones dies we feel both sad and a little responsible. Sorry for your loss..

Thanks, those little things grow in your heart big time. Is it wrong for me to withhold her prize from her? I don't want to be cruel, not trying to punish her, I just didn't want her to have the taste of mantis in her mouth because it bothers me.

so sorry but you had went above and beyond what 99.9% of us would have done.

Thanx Ninja. I did get her a really nice home for a while.

I have no idea what the behavior is in those situations. She might be looking to make sure the other is really gone. Don't know what they do with the one who doesn't survive. I'm not even sure they've been studied enough for anyone to say for sure.

FlowerMama

I'm justifying to myself to keep her out because I don't want her to foul up the water, then again I don't know if it would be one big meal for Gertie tonight or what But then again I don't want to throw her down the toilet.

I have no idea what the behavior is in those situations. She might be looking to make sure the other is really gone. Don't know what they do with the one who doesn't survive. I'm not even sure they've been studied enough for anyone to say for sure.

So part of me then says I should just let nature play out, you can't save them all, and put her back in. And then I'll let everyone know what she does.

I'm in a quandary about this but because there's a little doubt that I'm doing the right thing....I'll put her back in. But again, this is a confined space, and I don't want her decaying body to pollute the water. I'll see what happens and if it's too much of a mess I'll take her out I suppose.

FlowerMama

She got tired of me shining my light on her and watching so she carried her to outside of the rock to then drag in through the the tunnel. With that I turned off the light and heard a little more pounding.

She's walking while carrying her underneath.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/016_zps8221fd7b.jpg.html'>016_zps8221fd7b.jpg

First she dropped her so she could get in the hole herself, then she picked her up again.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/017_zps272c81cf.jpg.html'>017_zps272c81cf.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/018_zps82ab15be.jpg.html'>018_zps82ab15be.jpg

El fin.

With the mantis shell being so hard and resistant, she may find it very difficult herself to get through. I'm going to bed. I've had a super emotional night and I need to go. I'll see what remains tomorrow.

dixie reefer

I'm so sorry! That really sucks and its sad that you had to witness it. If I had found K's body, I probably would have buried him in the garden, I wouldn't have had the heart to flush him either. Its so sad when our little guys die. My first clown was a black and white, I got him when he was so tiny he couldn't even fit a whole piece of mysis in his mouth. He ended up bloating really bad and the day I lost him, I cried like a baby and buried him under my daffodils.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I was hoping they would be close enough in size that it wouldn't come to this.

Islandoftiki

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was really upset when my little G. Viridis died. I can only imagine how you feel. Unfortunately, that's life in the big ocean. Everybody eats or gets eaten in the long run. Sadly, it doesn't make this bitter pill any easier to swallow.

Sorry about your little one. Dont worry too much about it. And thru your experience, others might learn a thing or two about these cute guys.

Archived