ReefCleaners.org

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hooray- finally saw Gertie in her new home since being put in there Mon. I'm seeing a little white now that I wasn't seeing before.

011_zpsc0468452.jpg

She has this look on her face, like WHAAAAAT?? Doesn't it look like I caught her doing something bad?

014_zps550791f7.jpg

This B. A. giant mantis is at my LFS right now LOL

attachicon.gifmantis.jpg

How big is it?

I found it so hilarious. They sure do have looks, it's not like you even have to look hard or make it up. It's priceless!

I know you already got love for your greenie. Swimming normally today? No weird thing like yesterday?

I found him wandering the tank this morning. The rest of the day he has been fairly reclusive. I can tell that he's been digging in the sand under his rock pile. Maybe getting ready for a molt?

Sounds like it, I wonder what it is that sets that off? Because John was saying it always happens every time they're put in a new home.

And of course they're having to fix their home so they can shut their door. It's so darned cute. Then fling open the curtain w/ the new digs on and say HERE I AM WORLD!!!!

Could be out anywhere from 4-7 days from what I've seen. maybe longer. I could presume if it was a hard molt it could even be up to 10 days? I'm sure Islandoftiki knows!!

Hooray- finally saw Gertie in her new home since being put in there Mon. I'm seeing a little white now that I wasn't seeing before.

011_zpsc0468452.jpg

She has this look on her face, like WHAAAAAT?? Doesn't it look like I caught her doing something bad?

014_zps550791f7.jpg

How big is it?

She's an inch. Geneva is a little over an inch but not 1 1/4..

This B. A. giant mantis is at my LFS right now LOL

O. Scyllarus peacock mantis. You want that.

More of my Gertie this evening. She's afraid of Precious. She ran quickly away when she was about to take a corner .

Such an adorable little girl.

O. Scyllarus peacock mantis. You want that.

Such an adorable little girl.

Seriously? I want it? Scared the beejeesus out of me just looking at it LOL. It's about 6" long. :o

Seriously? I want it? Scared the beejeesus out of me just looking at it LOL. It's about 6" long. :o

Yeah, I"m with you- I'd rather have cute little ones to watch grow up. Maybe then I'd trust it some more.

Don't be scared. They're cuddly and like to be pet...

All you need is a healthy dose of respect and the knowledge that you should get any deep tissue wounds treated right away.

Don't be scared. They're cuddly and like to be pet...

All you need is a healthy dose of respect and the knowledge that you should get any deep tissue wounds treated right away.

Eek! If I owned one, even a tiny one, I'd have nightmares about it. I just don't think I could ever handle owning one. They are cool and seem so smart. Nope....couldn't do it :).

I'll just have fun watching you guys raise yours.

Oh hellz no!

The whole time I'm watching that, I'm wondering if this is one of the vids where the guy gets schwacked by his mantis and the camera gets knocked over as he rips his injured hand out of the tank.

Today I moved my old 29 gallon freshie out of the kitchen and took the stand the mantis were on and sold the 29 set to my neighbor. I moved the Mantis tank into the kitchen and put it on that better stand. Now I have a hallway back and I can close the bathroom door. It'll be safer when my parents are over - my dad has macular degeneration and his depth perception is off and the hallway was way too narrow and right across from the tank it was open due to stairs going to the basement so it was more precarious for him. I emptied 3 gallons each side to make it lighter so it was probably like a 40% water change for each side with the new salt Red Sea Coral Pro, we'll see how that goes. The best thing for me is that I can look right from my chair and see Gertie.

005_zpscca982f0.jpg

006_zps46298f70.jpg

You moved your tank how far with how much water?

In the top pic you'll see the hallway, see the carpet indentations next to the wall? I removed 3 gallons from each half and then we carried it over to the other stand.

You carried the tank with @14 gallons in it? You didn't pick up the stand with the tank on it and carry it all together?

If you just carried the glass box with that much water, you're lucky you didn't blow out the bottom seams.

Archived