SaltCritters.com

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

jedimasterben

Meh, she was fine:

There is a big difference between weight in the tank and the silicone holding due to different forces being applied. Ask any tank manufacturer and they'd tell you you're nuts if you attempt to move a tank with water in it. :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they would, they would be afraid of any liability. Glass is glued, then siliconed. It's not just the silicone holding those seams together.

However, I do agree I would have removed ¾ of the water to move the tank.

Both our points are mute in this case, worked, tank is fine and in it's place......

You carried the tank with @14 gallons in it? You didn't pick up the stand with the tank on it and carry it all together?

If you just carried the glass box with that much water, you're lucky you didn't blow out the bottom seams.

Yeah, it was fine, you can see the distance was really short, 5 ft, and removing 6 looked like almost half the tank was empty. Thanks for the concern though.

Well, my AquaClear30 in Gertie's tank stopped. Going to open and rinse it out and put it back and see if it works. Maybe something got in there. Better be that, they're not old. 4 mos old is right around the corner.

Whew, I would have been very disappointed if the AC stopped working. I've literally used AC's for the past 10 years, the best HOB on the market, tried and true.

If an AC filter ever stops, you just need to clean out the impeller section. I have ones that are 10 years old or more that still function. They're indestructible!

If an AC filter ever stops, you just need to clean out the impeller section. I have ones that are 10 years old or more that still function. They're indestructible!

Yeah, it was a piece of that flat thin green caulerpa that got intertwined in there. And that's what I like to hear about indestructible. I was so shocked when it stopped.

And just now. Gertie's busy tonight.

010_zps892b901b.jpg

009_zps08bb9ee9.jpg

011_zpsbb750e9b.jpg

OMG, that is the most adorable little gal I've ever seen! :D

What do you feed her, if you don't mind me asking? I'm torn between feeding mine and letting her be. (Too worried I might spook her if I start waving around a piece of food in front of her burrow).

It's called Fish Frenzy by LRS. It's frozen and it's made of everything chunky you can think of. It is very clean, you don't see oils or anything or residue, they just love it. It has all the vaariety. My friend gave me this one- when I'm done I'll buy the Reef Frenzy. Just really awesome, clean stuff. I feed 'em w/ those man tweezers (the tongs). They grab the piece of the end of it and run. Sometimes I hold on to it tight, just to see them struggle to try, they get so frustrated! :D It lasts a looooong time.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/fish-frenzy.html

It's called Fish Frenzy by LRS. It's frozen and it's made of everything chunky you can think of. It is very clean, you don't see oils or anything or residue, they just love it. It has all the vaariety. My friend gave me this one- when I'm done I'll buy the Reef Frenzy. Just really awesome, clean stuff. I feed 'em w/ those man tweezers (the tongs). They grab the piece of the end of it and run. Sometimes I hold on to it tight, just to see them struggle to try, they get so frustrated! :D It lasts a looooong time.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/fish-frenzy.html

I'll try to get something similar for Vortex to eat - I don't think Msia has Fish Frenzy though. Will they accept finely chopped pieces of jumbo shrimp? I use that to feed my lobster in the Pico and he goes nuts over it. I can dip it in Selcon as a vitamin boost. :)

Yep, clams, mussels, snail, fish, shrimp, krill, PE mysis. The biggest piece I've given these guys is 1/4 of an inch. I wouldn't do any larger because they may stash it but it may also spoil before they can eat it. From what you read off, the kind you have will remain small. Even my guys will only get to 3". In 4 mos mine grew from .5 to 1 inch and the other was like 3/4" and she's now like 1.25".

Does the divided tank bother you at all? Sometimes I think about adding a divider to my 40B (selling off some of the larger fish in my 40B) and putting the mandarin's on one side. This would give me a lot more wall space in my apartment. Basically have 1 side a reef and 1 side a macro algae tank. If I just could think of some way to make the divider not seem distracting.

It's not distracting to me at all. And the one below is from the side. You can't tell it's divided, looks like the damsel is on one side. I did though have to add a little strip to the top because I didn't make it high enough but I use that now as a marker to not let the water go below that. What's bad is I somehow didn't get it totally centered but it's not THAT noticeable. Left is 14.5 wide, right is 15. OOOPS. When these cheaper Aqueon 50w heaters break, then I'll be upgrading to the flat Cobalt.

006_zps46298f70.jpg

003_zps5fe2fb97.jpg

I think you'd have lots of possibilities doing that to a 40. It could be fun and you could still have the same light, maybe you could even rig it to split the output so it goes into both sides after it's been skimmed. It really takes care of the desire if you like these certain fish or those but you can't have them together. Each one could house different corals, etc.

With the 20L it was easy just to get 2 AquaClear 30s. Even that, I wouldn't mind getting another 20L and dividing it again, but if it was going to be for corals I'd need a better light.

I need to devise a way to do something w/ this 55 gallon. I've been neglecting that freshwater tank and have no fun in it anymore.

I think you'd have lots of possibilities doing that to a 40. It could be fun and you could still have the same light, maybe you could even rig it to split the output so it goes into both sides after it's been skimmed. It really takes care of the desire if you like these certain fish or those but you can't have them together. Each one could house different corals, etc.

With the 20L it was easy just to get 2 AquaClear 30s. Even that, I wouldn't mind getting another 20L and dividing it again, but if it was going to be for corals I'd need a better light.

I need to devise a way to do something w/ this 55 gallon. I've been neglecting that freshwater tank and have no fun in it anymore.

Yeah, I think I like having several smaller tanks with different types of fish and coral than one bigger tank. Unfortunately it's always trial and error to figure out what I like. I guess I am just not happy with the 75g SPS tank that seems pretty standard locally. I'm really getting into NPS and Macroalgae.

Since it is already up and running and drilled I just wanted something I could insert with holes for flow. Everything I found online was too flimsy though. When I get Ivy's tank going, I could move over the corals and take down the tank to mod it. Another idea was buying 2x 25g Mr Aqua tanks because 2 would fit on a 40B stand and then I would have the low iron and rimless look. That is obviously an expense though but one I am seriously considering. I would have one of the tanks NPS only and the other a gorg/macro/softy display. SPS and LPS would go into Ivy's tank.

I don't see why you couldn't get a sheet of acrylic or glass, cut to specification at a glass place and then have 'em cut either holes or might be easier to make slits.

Archived