inTank Media Baskets

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

Yeah, as fast as I felt pressure to get these girls in their homes instead of 1 cup containers they were in for a week, I didn't even think of acrylic under there. I presume it'd be rare that they'd hit it for the sake of it. Here's praying I never come home to wet carpeting. By now it'd be too difficult to do that. I do have probably 2 c. more of sand to put in each side to build up a little.

It seems to be super rare. Yours are little guys so I wouldn't even sweat it. The peacock will get to 7" so I figure it's a good investment.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really? well, what did they say and did you like the rock this time as well? I got it because I remember reading Gena's thread and how happy she was with it.

Fish got a satisfying meal tonight. The girls must be in their chambers molting. They usually come out real fast as they've figured out pump and filter off means food. No sign of 'em.

jedimasterben

really? well, what did they say and did you like the rock this time as well? I got it because I remember reading Gena's thread and how happy she was with it.

We were talking about mantis shrimp and how the O. havanensis (which I ordered for my friend) don't pop up in their live rock since they come from elsewhere, but sometimes there are lots of mantids in the rock, and how one person from NC got three in her order. I was like uh, is her name Annette? I know her :lol:

I love the rock. I got a coral this time :)

We were talking about mantis shrimp and how the O. havanensis (which I ordered for my friend) don't pop up in their live rock since they come from elsewhere, but sometimes there are lots of mantids in the rock, and how one person from NC got three in her order. I was like uh, is her name Annette? I know her :lol:

I love the rock. I got a coral this time :)

Oh that's cool you got a coral. Yeah, I emailed those guys to let them know all that I found- those 3 shrimp, a snapping shrimp of some kind, have like 4 urchins, thought it was only 3. I might take the biggest two and put 1 each in there w/ Geneva & Gertie for the glass as it'll be harder to get in there as the girls get bigger and I'm using a toothbrush here n' there. They knocked over a zoa, the nice purple kind w/ the pink center. When I got it it had 3 heads, so it grew 2 more so I'm protective of it. Kara and Phillip seem like nice folks.

New tank mate for Gertie, the biggest of the 5 pencil urchins from the 34; he's only an inch though. I put him next to the divider and he did exactly what I hoped he'd do- getting that back part that I didn't get w/ the toothbrush. One of my corals in the 34 was knocked over and I had to glue it back- those pretty purple zoas w/ the pink middles.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/002_zpsed8dbd56.jpg.html'>002_zpsed8dbd56.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/003_zps7017bbbf.jpg.html'>003_zps7017bbbf.jpg

Gertie's an inch and in the bottom right corner of her estate. I can't believe how much she's grown! Doubled her size in 3 mos. I put some of the macro algae in the 34 fuge.

049_zps377b121f.jpg

Aha! and Gertie for the first time is sporting yellow legs!

051_zps579a93c0.jpg

And Gertie about to take a speed burst.

053_zps5f0258fc.jpg

I haven't seen Geneva but I also took a little macro out of hers and turned the rock a different way. I think it'll be exciting for her. And I took the other rock she's usually in and leaned it on to this one. I haven't seen her in a good long while. I assume she's molting. I hope this isn't a difficult molt for her. makes me nervous. She didn't come out for food a couple days ago either and they usually like to explore once something's been done on their estate. This rock also has a hole through it which you can't see in this shot but it's in the dead center. If I see her later today I'll let ya know.

054_zpsae61e33a.jpg

<3 love your setup, hope Ms. Geneva comes out to say hi soon!

thanks, me too. I couldn't imagine having to molt and maybe not making it. How awful. I hope I see her soon. She basically has 3 places she crawls around so 3 homes I suppose. But, if you're that tiny and you have all that land.....then why not??

Gosh, I'm blown away by that green color :wub:.

Yeah, she is so green and lovely. I don't care that she's not the fancy kind. I love the way she blends in and that I have to look for her sometimes.

I love how tiny she is... I hope when I order rock from KP this spring... I get a itty bitty green mantis! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Yeah, I love 'em green, green is beautiful. Oh you'll surely get one. Wait, how many mantis tanks you have now???? I bet she could get lost in gsp and not be seen. I am worried abt Geneva though as I was checking through my post and I haven't seen in her in 2 wks I think. When I'm done w/ catching up on threads I'm gonna pop a chair in front of it and just stare and if I see an eyeball I'll feel like I can breathe.

Yeah, I love 'em green, green is beautiful. Oh you'll surely get one. Wait, how many mantis tanks you have now???? I bet she could get lost in gsp and not be seen. I am worried abt Geneva though as I was checking through my post and I haven't seen in her in 2 wks I think. When I'm done w/ catching up on threads I'm gonna pop a chair in front of it and just stare and if I see an eyeball I'll feel like I can breathe.

Just Ivy's tank and one living in the 20g fuge. I don't need more but I can't help it... :closedeyes: If I had to give up all my tanks except one. I would keep the mantises in a divided tank like yours. Goodbye fishies :o

Just Ivy's tank and one living in the 20g fuge. I don't need more but I can't help it... :closedeyes: If I had to give up all my tanks except one. I would keep the mantises in a divided tank like yours. Goodbye fishies :o

That's what I'm talking about. Fish are yesterday's news. It's impossible to imagine a fish with the amount of character of a mantis shrimp.

That's what I'm talking about. Fish are yesterday's news. It's impossible to imagine a fish with the amount of character of a mantis shrimp.

Your bond w/ Betty, esp being 2nd owner, is incredible. She loved you from the start. I was excited when I came to NR and saw more than just fish. Your videos caught my attention real fast. Oh wait, all your videos- the crazy xenia pulsating in your pest tank, your brittles spawning, your crabs molting, you just get the most amazing things on camera.

I love the privacy aspect of the mantis, I can be a very private person.

I love their curiosity.

Love how they eye ball you w/ all their retinas! love that they have 3 for each eye!

Love that even the green, non-fancy ones, still have all the same curiosities as their colorful cousins.

Love that they will make their own home if given rocks and sand and can close doors. A fish could not do that.

Love their power they have over me. I just love 'em both.

and I love that more people, maybe because of you, me, Tamberav, Dixie Reefer, etc are all starting to find homes for these guys than throw them away.

OH my gosh. I just found Geneva after 2 wks. She's in my 34 fuge!!! I temporarily put the rock from my lfs from my fuge onto the top of Geneva's rock when I was debating having to rebuild the fuge. She apparently quickly climbed in. I just checked the fuge to see if I had to add water and there she was. Oh my gosh, I think the only thing I can try to do is lift out the rock tomorrow quickly into a plastic bag and then put it into her home, and watch and wait for her to crawl out. I have to give the poor thing something to eat right now. I was so worried.

OK. What's wrong with this picture???

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/002_zps3a74a9b9.jpg.html'>002_zps3a74a9b9.jpg

Picked up the rock, almost out of the tank and she swims into the baffle. HUMPH!!! I"m going to see if she gets out on her own for about 5 mins, I figure they're used to climbing out of tunnels. I turned off the pump. I will turn it on if she can't get out on her own and hopefully that little bit will get her up & out. No, not enough pressure to get her out. I'm to try some airline tubing, if she grabs onto it I'll have a chance of least getting her back into the fuge.

Making progress, ALWAYS have a dowel rod at home. She climbed about half way up and I put the stick under her and she swam over. Glad she swam to the right side! Mantis soap opera continues. Will Geneva find her way home???.

Archived