Coral Vue Hydros

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

Lots of green caterpillars out there. Are you talking about the luna moth or maybe the cecropia? I have seen both of those very rarely, maybe twice in my life and they were soooo pretty!

Luna, yes, that's it!!! https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo3hydorNEVmIz0ERKDbCCHlg3M8-7dpVX_Ud2cp-VaiGXva9XgA

and then it grows to....https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?

Which to me looks like a ballerina on her toes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luna, yes, that's it!!! https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo3hydorNEVmIz0ERKDbCCHlg3M8-7dpVX_Ud2cp-VaiGXva9XgA

and then it grows to....https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?

Which to me looks like a ballerina on her toes.

There is a "moon moth", sort of a yellow version of the Luna from Madagascar. Putting the butterflys to shame!

I can see the ballerina!

Argema_mittrei_Madagascan_Moon_Moth.jpg

Man I need a mantis

I can't even begin to imagine the crazy thing of beauty you'd create for a mantis. It'd probably have a dwelling like a hamster hotel with many suites/tunnels going all over the place. Bravo to you for what I see you have currently. I've only been in NR since last year so I didn't see what you had created before that. You definitely are a thinker outside the box.

I can't even begin to imagine the crazy thing of beauty you'd create for a mantis. It'd probably have a dwelling like a hamster hotel with many suites/tunnels going all over the place. Bravo to you for what I see you have currently. I've only been in NR since last year so I didn't see what you had created before that. You definitely are a thinker outside the box.

I've hit my wifey tank tolerance lvl so unless I put a mantis in my mangrove tank I'm gonna have to wait. Thanks though for the compliments! I should post all my old tanks in my thread or start a thread called tanks through the ages, and people post 1 pic of each of their tanks, as they progressed in the hobby.

llama roadkill
I caught a luna moth once. I think I was around 10 or so.

Same here. They are so pretty, and I see them at least once or twice a month where I live.

jedimasterben

Same here. They are so pretty, and I see them at least once or twice a month where I live.

I've never seen another one since!

luna moths, hallucinogens, river otters, oh my! And I hear Geneva using her wrecking ball today. It's consistently been Gertie that's made more noise.

Gertie's making house. Fuzzy but best I could do. She's found an opening that she wants to close for her den, it's bigger than her other but she doesn't always master the building up part. She add some and it fell right down the side. She's young, still learning. She's looking at me like, "Could you please just not watch?"

014_zpsd35e5fcc.jpg

Awesome tank. It's great that you took a couple of hitchhikers that many people would have killed and set them up as their own interesting focus point.

I've hit my wifey tank tolerance lvl so unless I put a mantis in my mangrove tank I'm gonna have to wait. Thanks though for the compliments! I should post all my old tanks in my thread or start a thread called tanks through the ages, and people post 1 pic of each of their tanks, as they progressed in the hobby.

I'm considering the opposite. Putting a mangrove(s) in my mantis tank. I have 4 red mangroves that are growing out in my junk tank that need a permanent home.

Is that a yellow ricordea in the photo?

In that tank I can't tell if it's a yellowish peach or cream. I may have to put it in my Evolve because it's not doing as well as I'd expected to do there and she's already been fussing around it trying to cover up the hole.

In that tank I can't tell if it's a yellowish peach or cream. I may have to put it in my Evolve because it's not doing as well as I'd expected to do there and she's already been fussing around it trying to cover up the hole.

Looks yellow in the photo. Very pretty :).

Awesome tank. It's great that you took a couple of hitchhikers that many people would have killed and set them up as their own interesting focus point.

I'm considering the opposite. Putting a mangrove(s) in my mantis tank. I have 4 red mangroves that are growing out in my junk tank that need a permanent home.

Would they get enough light? I know the mantis don't use high light but the mangroves do, right?

Would they get enough light? I know the mantis don't use high light but the mangroves do, right?

It's going to be tricky. From what I can gather it's possible to do Mantids with intense lighting, but your water quality probably has to be perfect. I'm not a perfect hobbyist so I'm thinking I can setup my tank to provide shade to the Mantis but have intense lighting on top. Mangroves don't seem to need a ton of light, as I have my buds on a regular plant bulb from Lowes and they are slowly growing but I wouldn't mind doing some coral.

My thought is to create a cement shelf covering most of the tank which would give me a platform for some coral while giving the mantis a lot of shade. I'm still planning the whole thing but I have the new 40 breeder sitting there just begging to be filled with rock and Pennywise.

It's going to be tricky. From what I can gather it's possible to do Mantids with intense lighting, but your water quality probably has to be perfect. I'm not a perfect hobbyist so I'm thinking I can setup my tank to provide shade to the Mantis but have intense lighting on top. Mangroves don't seem to need a ton of light, as I have my buds on a regular plant bulb from Lowes and they are slowly growing but I wouldn't mind doing some coral.

My thought is to create a cement shelf covering most of the tank which would give me a platform for some coral while giving the mantis a lot of shade. I'm still planning the whole thing but I have the new 40 breeder sitting there just begging to be filled with rock and Pennywise.

Wow, that certainly sounds like a unique project. I'll have to follow that when you start it.

Wow, that certainly sounds like a unique project. I'll have to follow that when you start it.

I'm going to start a couple of test structures with concrete next weekend. Once I'm happy that I can make the cement look natural I will start on the tank. I do have my acrylic to line the bottom of the tank already sitting there. Just in case. ;)

I'm going to start a couple of test structures with concrete next weekend. Once I'm happy that I can make the cement look natural I will start on the tank. I do have my acrylic to line the bottom of the tank already sitting there. Just in case. ;)

Yeah, as fast as I felt pressure to get these girls in their homes instead of 1 cup containers they were in for a week, I didn't even think of acrylic under there. I presume it'd be rare that they'd hit it for the sake of it. Here's praying I never come home to wet carpeting. By now it'd be too difficult to do that. I do have probably 2 c. more of sand to put in each side to build up a little.

Archived