inTank Media Baskets

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

Most likely not. Both of my smashers live very peacefully with fish. My peacock, is UNBELIEVABLY tolerant of her damsel tank mate. He tail slapped her and bit her in the butt and she didn't retaliate. She's got more patience than me. The mantis with fish thing is entirely dependent on the individual mantis though. Some are murderous killing machines. Some won't even kill the things they're supposed to eat (like my G. Ternatensis). If you feed them regularly, they won't waste their energy trying to kill anything.

Ah, good to know! Cool :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Most likely not. Both of my smashers live very peacefully with fish.

This. The small smashers probably couldn't even do a lot of damage to a fish. (at least, the fish would learn real quick if one tried lol)

So, if you took a small rubber ball, you know the ones that look like marbles that you get out of a gumball machine, and put it in with the mantis, would it hit it and end up really hurting itself? Just wondering seeing that its punch is so volatile.

WHATCHU LOOKIN' AT

I KILL YOU, STICK THAT HAND IN HERE

DO IT WOMAN

:lol:

Nah, you already got a punch from your pistol. That's enough pain for one week.

Most likely not. Both of my smashers live very peacefully with fish. My peacock, is UNBELIEVABLY tolerant of her damsel tank mate. He tail slapped her and bit her in the butt and she didn't retaliate. She's got more patience than me. The mantis with fish thing is entirely dependent on the individual mantis though. Some are murderous killing machines. Some won't even kill the things they're supposed to eat (like my G. Ternatensis). If you feed them regularly, they won't waste their energy trying to kill anything.

I can't believe how tolerant she was.. omg.. mine will kill fish that invade her burrow but leaves fish alive that stays out of her space.

1stimereefer:

Here is a pic for you for size comparison for Ivy. It's a horrible pic because I forgot my camera on the wrong setting and the pic originally came out so dark you couldn't see anything. ooops! No time to take new ones, just snapped a pic and "played" with her a bit on my 15 min break from studying for finals :)

My guess is a little less than 3 inches after having her pose for me today. She is standing in front of a quarter checking it out.

I think water makes objects appear larger than air.. hmm.. that would mean your guys are even more tiny! :wub:

ivys2_zps88904524.jpg

ivys1_zpsd69c9ad8.jpg

I can't believe how tolerant she was.. omg.. mine will kill fish that invade her burrow but leaves fish alive that stays out of her space.

1stimereefer:

Here is a pic for you for size comparison for Ivy. It's a horrible pic because I forgot my camera on the wrong setting and the pic originally came out so dark you couldn't see anything. ooops! No time to take new ones, just snapped a pic and "played" with her a bit on my 15 min break from studying for finals :)

My guess is a little less than 3 inches after having her pose for me today. She is standing in front of a quarter checking it out.

I think water makes objects appear larger than air.. hmm.. that would mean your guys are even more tiny! :wub:

ivys2_zps88904524.jpg

ivys1_zpsd69c9ad8.jpg

Ha. AWW. thanks for sharing her. I'm Annette by the way. What's the most interesting thing you ever put in the tank w/ her where you could tell she was befuddled?

Ha. AWW. thanks for sharing her. I'm Annette by the way. What's the most interesting thing you ever put in the tank w/ her where you could tell she was befuddled?

My name is Amber (or Tana, ya I have 2 names) :) She had a lot of fun with toy jacks before. They are easy to pick up and bright colored. She wanted to use them as building materials too lol.. but not sure what type of mystery plastic it was so she couldn't keep her toys.

These guys are pretty talented at making tunnels. Ivy built her own and it is probably like 6-7 inches long and almost a perfect circular tunnel made out of rubble, coral skeletons, and snail shells. Perfectly placing each one flipping it and finding where it "fit". I couldn't do that! They amaze me.

Hi Amber- I see Geneva has covered up a tiny hole on the rock so I know that's her home right now. Once I put the blue light on a little longer just to see what it would do with the few mushrooms, she closed her window. Too cute. That recent vid by Islandoftiki is too cute, Betty's entertaining to watch. I bet your Ivy is too.

Gertie and Geneva have been busy. I hear clicks very regularly this week. I don't know what they're doing but with as busy as they are hopefully they're just widening a tunnel and not trying to break through any bottom glass. I do see in certain spots they've cleared some sand out under a rock so they can get under.

I did get a bag of marbles, thought the color would interest them, they haven't shown me that much yet that they cared. Geneva did run out quickly touch it and left. Guess I'll think of them as those lawn ornaments which I can't stand. I'll take 'em out shortly.

For Geneva

012_zpsdcb197b8.jpg

For Gertie

017_zps1eba5c1b.jpg

Juat fish pics. Gertie and Geneva have been making a great deal of noise the last 3 days and I saw Geneva with her arms full bringing debris to her hole. I wasn't quick enough to take a pic. The caulerpa's growing the grape has more grapes.

010_zpsa8aa9930.jpg

014_zpsbfddef5d.jpg

015_zps02ce49bc.jpg

Cool mantis' almost, almost, makes me want one.

Where in ole' KY is ya?

Merry Xmas btw!

My husband, now deceased, was from Ashland, KY. He went to UK. I was originally from Chicago. We met here in Western N. Carolina at work.

So jealous. You started your tanks long after I did, and yours are thriving. I can't even put the water back in mine yet. :(

I know, I'm disappointed with the obstacles you're facing, it's like everything is against you here. Just not right. But, I've had to put more on the credit cards unfortunately. I'll have to back off here from buying corals and that is the hardest part for me. I keep justifying buying corals because I've been through mental hell since my husband passed away and I'm trying to keep myself busy and this hobby is helping to keep me sane. I tell myself I'm deserving, and nice, and he'd want me to be happy and share my hobby with others.

My girls seem to be awfully busy. I don't see Gertie or Geneva as much as I saw them earlier, which wasn't very much. They're busy building. All I hear are noises in their tunnels in the rocks. The caulerpa has done wonderfully growing in, now it's harder to get a pic even. I'd say Gertie has caught up to Geneva in size but I really can't tell, Geneva's more secretive, just don't see her the same frequency. Precious and Ocean, the fish, are doing wonderfully.

Ha, just saw Geneva so I tried to take a pic. She's in the back of the tank in the small rock back left. These are the best I could do. Camera having a hard time focusing.

002_zpsc27cbdb7.jpg

003_zps6466def6.jpg

008_zps0c50bc26.jpg

And here's now Gertie! No, I don't see her either but she was in that hole in the darkness in the back.

010_zps55b0d4dd.jpg

Annette and Amber? Sounds like Jedis paradise BWAHAHAHA! Uh I have to stop these jokes they aren't funny to me anymore lol

Oh, hold on, let me first tie my hair up like Leya's. C'mon Amber!. I think not. :P

BWHAHAHAHA! Holy shit this and South Park is funny as kittehs!

You sure do swear alot. You can be funny w/o swearing so much young Patawan learner.

I have no idea! I just have the girls behind my chair here making a racket. One then the next. They're making skyscrapers I think. Or tunneling down to China.

I found a small rock on the right side in Gertie's tank where she just seems to be pounding away. I've not seen her there but there's evidence of rock slivers/shards underneath in front of the rock. Guess she takes her pick axe to it every once in a while. Had to take it on an angle so it's fuzzy but you can see what I mean. How cool.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/027_zps4f81f0a5.jpg.html'>027_zps4f81f0a5.jpg

Archived