inTank Media Baskets

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

Well, reefer friends, I have to go to Walmart and get a new camera card tomorrow. A little piece broke off and it's not registering w/ the reader in the laptop.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, reefer friends, I have to go to Walmart and get a new camera card tomorrow. A little piece broke off and it's not registering w/ the reader in the laptop.
Bummer! At least your got some OT this week lol.
Polarcollision

Good point, I'd probably freak out those fish too much. So speed 3 and else mode is the slowest, good to know. Wasn't there something you could buy that would lower the wattage or something? And do you think it'd be worth getting? Rollermonkey,I know you probably know the answer to this.

This is the device: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I5ERUW/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like I might need it too since I can't get the sandstorm to quit on different modes and speeds. Else mode makes the biggest sand storm for me, even on the lowest speed setting. W1 makes a wave that threatens to overrun the tank, so H1 is actually the best option so far, though it's just a constant speed. Sigh.

Let me know if you find anything that works for you!

Wow, but this thread blew up!

I can't believe how many hitchhikers you got. I paid for "partially cured" LR from Drs. Foster & Smith, and didn't see so much as a pod until 5 months in, and no worms until the one year mark!

This is the device: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004I5ERUW/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like I might need it too since I can't get the sandstorm to quit on different modes and speeds. Else mode makes the biggest sand storm for me, even on the lowest speed setting. W1 makes a wave that threatens to overrun the tank, so H1 is actually the best option so far, though it's just a constant speed. Sigh.

Let me know if you find anything that works for you!

After my 1st water change tomorrow I'm going to add the Jebao and see what happens. Congratulations on your 8 gallon beauty. Is this in the 8 or your 24 that you have?

Wow, but this thread blew up!

I can't believe how many hitchhikers you got. I paid for "partially cured" LR from Drs. Foster & Smith, and didn't see so much as a pod until 5 months in, and no worms until the one year mark!

Well, that's what happens when you get one tank going and in a matter of a day or two have to get another going and quick. I'm just as shocked as everyone else. I saw one snail, no more and I haven't seen him again. I know there's stuff in there I just haven't seen more. You know, with the 8 you're close to everything, even with a magnifying glass you can't see past the first set of rocks in the 34 so you can't see distance into the tank, not w/ the red light either. That's why I'll probably always have the 8. Closer and personal. So many little feather dusters I love 'em.

Really live rock and colorful - I wrote KP Aquatics a really nice email with how pleased I was and my finds. If you want critters go with KP Aquatics. I can't wait to order more in the future from them.

Polarcollision

if you have the new controller, it has variable voltage. 12-24 I believe, so just by turning the control knob to the left you can lower the strength.

Do you mean the big blue dial? I thought that was for wave length and S1, S2, S3 were for voltage control, but crossing my fingers the dial is voltage control. This sucker is waaay too powerful for the Nuvo 24.

Polarcollision

After my 1st water change tomorrow I'm going to add the Jebao and see what happens. Congratulations on your 8 gallon beauty. Is this in the 8 or your 24 that you have?

Thanks! It was a complete surprise (happy one at that). The wp25 is in the Nuvo 24. I've been playing with settings (all on low S3) for a week with lots of sandstorms and bare bottom areas. Sigh. If this last setting clears sand by morning, I'll probably order the voltage converter. Nitrates are higher than the elos kit can measure, so it's getting towards the end of the cycle!

Thanks! It was a complete surprise (happy one at that). The wp25 is in the Nuvo 24. I've been playing with settings (all on low S3) for a week with lots of sandstorms and bare bottom areas. Sigh. If this last setting clears sand by morning, I'll probably order the voltage converter. Nitrates are higher than the elos kit can measure, so it's getting towards the end of the cycle!

I'll write in my thread after I do a water change and put the Jebao on and see what happens.

Beautiful progress... love the tanks you have!

Thank you. I have fish tank supplies all over the kitchen right now because they're in progress- the 10g sump to the right of the sink, the 20g mantis tank to the left. I just moved plants off of the old 29 g stand I was using once I brought my plants in, think it'll have to hold the mantis tank. Unfortunately it'll make my hallway more narrow but maybe my walking back n' forth will accustom them to me.

lnglostsurfer

Can't wait to see how that wp-25 is on your tank. I'm kind of bummed that I won't be going with a bigger tank because I think that pump would be way too big for a 20 long.

So are we going to see yet another tank thread for the little mantis guys? (And do they have names yet??)

When I have it up I will have to. Now I have no option to use the stand, you'd probably make a nicer one anyway. I'll have to put it in the hall which I dont' like but what can you do. I can't move my Evolve 8 into the bedroom myself and on top of that, I'd miss seeing it in the living room. Sometimes I wonder, Would any of us be happy w/ 10 tanks in the room, or would we still want more. One day I'll take down the 29 freshwater and put the mantis tank there. It's a much nice stand. I think I'll try breakdown the tank by spring, clean it well and put it in my garage sale

Excellent thread! I enjoyed every bit of it.

Your puppy is sooooo cute! His coat is so shiny! So tolerant of apparel too. ;)

I love the live rock! What a great haul. Congrats on the mantis! Sweet idea about the divided tank with a rock wall in between the two mantis.

Cannot wait to see both tanks come together!

Hi, got a new camera card so here it a pic of my tiny babies- the green is 1/2 inch, the maroon is 3/4 or so. So the green may be female and the maroon male. I hope they last 3 wks while their tank water starts cycling soon here. Below these are tank pics.

010_zpsd3a8c068.jpg

009_zps7ca79cb6.jpg

017_zps26f911f7.jpg

012_zpsa780f88f.jpg

037_zpsa9cdc4c4.jpg

034_zpse501d360.jpg

You know....this mantis tank has a great potential to be even more epic than your 34g!!!!! This is going to be soooo cool.

Shrimpies are soo cute too. I love their colors. This is why you ended up with the 34 and the 20. It was all in the stars. :)

Is the water going to go over the top baffle?

No, I had to leave room for the suction cupped light so that's why the divider doesn't go to the top..

Well, with 2 Petsmarts, only one of them has an Aqua Clear 30. Ugh.

I've been busy today and I have yet to do laundry. I put in the last 2 baffles.

I love my dremel and the glass bit.

032_zps1075e9cb.jpg

I did though somehow screw up on the middle baffle where the water goes under. It should have also been higher than the baffle before and after it. Argh.

Bottom is just fine.

039_zps407efa07.jpg

Top is not. If it doesn't work out then I'll just cut an inch of the 1/4" acrylic I I have leftover after making the divider for the mantis and glue it to the top.

040_zps2b4299e9.jpg

I still have yet to do laundry and it's 8:45 but does feel like 9:45. I need to change the clocks, it's messing with me.

Anyway, Like I said earlier I've been busy today. A mantis tank is born. I didn't end up painting the back black, too cold for me to spray paint I think. And it's dark in the hall anyway. If I want I can always add some black backing later if need be. Guess I have to order the AC30 tonight, along w/ that float switch for the sump.

053_zps6172d372.jpg

055_zps7979a865.jpg

Should I call it Dueling Mantis?

Additionally, I did the 20% waterchange on the 34, turned on the skimmer (this little thing is a workhorse seeing all the crazy bubbles inside it) and I put in the Jebao W-25 on W1 S3 and turned the dial all the way to the right for the least amount of waves. And I have shimmer!!! I LOVE MY SHIMMER.

Aquaticlife mini 115 getting broken in.

058_zps676ff478.jpg

066_zpseffe9c53.jpg

043_zps6ef27090.jpg

057_zpsad70e5c4.jpg

I's not on a blue setting but I haven't changed my camera's setting yet. Oh, and the Jebao- very quiet.

One cool thing w/ the wavemaker paired w/ Kessil is you have an awesome sun ray effect in the tank ,and when the wave gets started you can see it shimmer across the rays. Very cool. It's like looking into a tidal pool at the beach. I am so in love w/ this Kessil.

Oh, and ammonia was like 1.5 before the water change and addition of waves and skimmer. I'll be curious to see how this movement changes the cycle.

I saw a brittle star last night, another little creature, but he was bigger than any I had in the little 8. It was dark so I couldn't tell if he had any stripes or was one color or what.

The green macro which looks like a thin small green pipe cleaner, they're standing straighter in the tank. The largest is up to an inch but I'm seeing other tiny ones now too that I hadn't noticed before.

You know....this mantis tank has a great potential to be even more epic than your 34g!!!!! This is going to be soooo cool.

Shrimpies are soo cute too. I love their colors. This is why you ended up with the 34 and the 20. It was all in the stars. :)

I think it was meant to be; me being left w/ this 20g and not knowing what to do with it because it wouldn't fit.

Here's pic of my homemade sump/fuge. Hopefully that 2nd piece of glass being an inch short won't be too much of an issue as long as the water goes over the top and flows down. I did check and there are no leaks between the sections. Only 9 inch fuge, not big, that stinks. But I will try put some decorative macros in the 34.

071_zps0e25e373.jpg

I was considering that same skimmer but skipped it because of some of the reviews. Curious to see it in action on your tank. See your still dealing with some micro bubbles from the pics. Btw what are the dimensions on the 34? If i missed it somewhere in the thread Sorry.

lnglostsurfer

Looks great, I'm glad the wavemaker is working well for you, hopefully at some point I will get to check it out.

Unfortunately in the fuge, I think that one baffle being lower will completely render the baffles useless.....essentially it won't force the water down one side and back up the other, it will be able to flow over the whole section. It will work, just won't help with the micro bubbles (which is what the multiple baffles are for).

Maybe siliconing in an extra piece at the top to help fix it? I dunno, I'm sure there is something you can do. When do you think you'll be hooking up the overflow and sump?

I won't be able to do it until I get some more sand and its is pitiful what they don't have here. I can only check to see if Mts to Sea and WNC Aq have it on Saturday.

Archived