Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sump not going yet- hopefully I finish the sump by Sunday. That is my goal. 8 days? Wow that seems unusually fast to me. Did he also do 20% water changes every other day to soft cycle?

The overflow I'll get on after I come back from town in 2 wks, I don't want any of that to be going yet while I'm not here and I still have to buy a basic float switch for the sump as well and I need some more sand, don't have any yet for the sump. I bought the last 10 lb arag alive for the 20 for the shrimp. it'll be 10 of the sugary stuff and then 10 of the larger for the shrimp.

Heard about your switched purchase with Gena- good thing it went to someone you know and trust.

No they didn't tell me so I sent a wonderful email thanking them for my wonderful shipment and asked. I did research your post from your 28 gallon itch that you said 20% every other day. I just don't know at what ammonia level to start that though. I know I see tons of white fuzzies on the rock, don't know what those are. I really like all my shapes, it's going to be fun trying to figure out what looks best. It will definitely be 2 islands I believe due to the size of the rocks. And one small rock the size of my fist for gsp to grow freely.

I'm glad you looked it up. I'm too lazy. :lol: But....I did just check my email and found this when I asked them last year about cycling. "I would suggest 20% water changes every two days for a week."

So perhaps in 2 days do a water change.

HELL YA MANTISESES!!! Adorable tiny ones... :wub: :wub: :wub:

I don't know what kind they are except Floridian and they're soooo small I hope they make it. I'm asking for any further info in the mantis thread. Yours however are so incredibly unique. Your pictures are outstanding. Do these from FL have the same requirements regarding lack of light for the shell? I'm just going to use a suction cup strip from marineland that came w/ the 34. You can change to white or blue or both. Will not be in a spot that gets any sunlight, just light. Don't plan on having the light on unless I'm going to feed.

I'm glad you looked it up. I'm too lazy. :lol: But....I did just check my email and found this when I asked them last year about cycling. "I would suggest 20% water changes every two days for a week."

So perhaps in 2 days do a water change.

I got it Thurs so 2 days later should be Sat. If the ammonia hasn't changed much I'll do it on Sunday. Thank You.

Unpacking the box from KP Aquatics I smelled absolutely nothing. We're starting to ferment now. The last couple of hours I smell ocean. Not that bad though, yet.

First 10g I did had really live rock. It stank up the room for a solid 2 days with a sulphur smell. GF nearly vetoed the whole ordeal.

Aw, thanks! :) Are they both smashers?

Mantises from florida:

N. curacaoensis

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_curacaoensis

Should be fine in shallow water, lives in cavities of coral however.

N. wennerae

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_wennerae

Would also be fine under light.

O. havanensis

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=o_havanensis

I believe this one comes from deeper water if I remember right and may fare better without bright light.

P. ciliata (spearer)

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=p_ciliata

Light is fine, needs deep sand bed, eats fish!

With any of them, provide an area they can get out of the light. PVC but can be ugly, just some good dark cave spots work too. Mine seem to find/make their own as long as I provide the basics.

Are they both smashers?

Randi told me yes so I'm believing her because I don't know and they're so small. What do you look for to know?

No he didn't do a soft cycle. He was a noob and just let it ride out nothing died on him though. What test kit are you using?

I use API for the ammonia and nitrite. I always use Salifert for nitrate. I bet it'll be higher tomorrow.

First 10g I did had really live rock. It stank up the room for a solid 2 days with a sulphur smell. GF nearly vetoed the whole ordeal.

Yep, sulfurish. Nothing as bad as the Prime smell though- that stuff I've used in the past, that I could really smell

Randi told me yes so I'm believing her because I don't know and they're so small. What do you look for to know?

I use API for the ammonia and nitrite. I always use Salifert for nitrate. I bet it'll be higher tomorrow.

Yep, sulfurish. Nothing as bad as the Prime smell though- that stuff I've used in the past, that I could really smell

I edited my post above with a list of florida mantis and descriptions/info.

It shouldn't smell like sulfur. Just really really fishy.

I have to go to Lowes tomorrow anyway, I could always get a piece of pvc for each and use sand and rubble epoxied to it or something.

lnglostsurfer

Man, I can hardly keep up with this thread! Little miss popular over here haha.

So what ever happened to the baskets underneath? :blink: Did I miss something?

there was more rock than what could fit so when there were only 2 baskets, I decided just to remove them. I'm working now and checking threads between calls.

lnglostsurfer

there was more rock than what could fit so when there were only 2 baskets, I decided just to remove them. I'm working now and checking threads between calls.

Addicted much? Lol...I think we all are in some way or another though. It must be the only way you can keep up with this thread!

You work from home answering calls? Let me guess insurance or hospital work of some sort?

no, at work, pharmacies call us when they're having trouble billing prescriptions, we have a skeleton crew on Saturday as it's slower- behind the Biltmore Sq Mall . Some people are permanent with a saturday shift, others can just volunteer to get some OT

Addicted much? Lol...I think we all are in some way or another though. It must be the only way you can keep up with this thread!

Yes, completely and hopelessly addicted, it solved the issue of what to do though with the 20gllon- it's like it was meant to be.

no, at work, pharmacies call us when they're having trouble billing prescriptions, we have a skeleton crew on Saturday as it's slower- behind the Biltmore Sq Mall . Some people are permanent with a saturday shift, others can just volunteer to get some OT
That is nice they let you volunteer for OT. You don't see that very often anymore. Really nice for familys around christmas time.

That is nice they let you volunteer for OT. You don't see that very often anymore. Really nice for familys around christmas time.

psht. good for paying back some on the credit card for all this stuff.

psht. good for paying back some on the credit card for all this stuff.

lmao at least you have a way to pay it back. If you don't need the money you could always work Saturdays to buy reef junk and corals :)

lmao at least you have a way to pay it back. If you don't need the money you could always work Saturdays to buy reef junk and corals :)

that's why I'll probably work one saturday a month

that's why I'll probably work one saturday a month

need the money, just want to try pay more than just the minimum on the card, you know how it goes

Archived