inTank Media Baskets

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

lnglostsurfer

Hopefully my tank is where all of my OT money will go. I think I hit about 60 hours last week and hopefully even more this week. Exhausted but definitely worth it!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how's your landscaping clean up going? it'll be wonderful in the spring to start over. You planting any winter bulbs or anything?

lnglostsurfer

No winter bulbs...Landscaping has been on kind of a hold with all the work lately. Only an hour or two that I'm awake in the morning before I go to work and never any energy to get anything done. Possibly on monday (if it doesn't rain like my last day off!) I'll be able to start clearing some stuff out again. Need to get some winterizer for the grass that we do have. Definitely going to be some areas that we need to re-seed though. And one tree in the front that needs to come down but it's pretty small, I think the ivy killed it off. Maybe 6" in diameter, won't be too bad.

Edit: Maybe monday after you get done with work you can swing by my place, meet Kai and see the house and tank. And Hagan is more than welcome to run around the back yard too!

Cool tank, following along. So what are you planning to do with the mantis's (not sure how to pluralize that lol)? I'm actually super jealous right now because I've always wanted to start a mantis tank, but could never find one for sale that wasn't either brown or ridiculously expensive.

since they're tiny and they prob can't break through glass I'm going to divide the tank w/ 1/4' acrylic and each have it's own home w/ AC HOB and heater, this way if one is sick, that water won't impact the other. As tiny as they are I hope they make it. If one lives then I'll take out the divider and he'll have a dual tunnel home.

If I'm successfull with both then at one point I may need to line the thin tank w/ 1/4" acrylic.

No winter bulbs...Landscaping has been on kind of a hold with all the work lately. Only an hour or two that I'm awake in the morning before I go to work and never any energy to get anything done. Possibly on monday (if it doesn't rain like my last day off!) I'll be able to start clearing some stuff out again. Need to get some winterizer for the grass that we do have. Definitely going to be some areas that we need to re-seed though. And one tree in the front that needs to come down but it's pretty small, I think the ivy killed it off. Maybe 6" in diameter, won't be too bad.

Edit: Maybe monday after you get done with work you can swing by my place, meet Kai and see the house and tank. And Hagan is more than welcome to run around the back yard too!

Landscaping huh? I know a little about that stuff :)

Sure, sounds like a plan.I get home 5:30 so I'll let him out and swing by for a moment.

xenia, GSP, clove polyps, leathers, z's and p's, favias, euphys, etc

^ this

Montipora works too. The none plating ones like sunset/superman, ect would spread across the wall.

Ammonia was .5 yesterday. Today is 1.0. So it doubled. Tomorrow evening I'll do my first 20% water change. I'm down 2 inches, keeping room for another 10lb bag of arag alive and the Jebao-25. I'm going to have to float the shrimp under the cover of the Evolve. I can't really put the Jebao on the big tank until then w/ the fact that those little cups would probably circle incessantly and probably make the mants dizzy, sick, cause them stress and die. Saw the brittle worm Randi and I left in there from the first day. Otherwise I haven't seen any more critters.

Mantis are still alive in the 1 cup plastic containers. I dumped 3/4 of the water in their little containers into the tank and filled remainder w/ some established water in the Evolve.

007_zps68bfc21e.jpg

I love the gsp I have in my little tank. It has really taken off, even on the wall in back. I certainly have enough to cut out little gsp plugs and glue them to the acrylic. If the mantis survive it would certainly prevent them from seeing each other which I assume should not happen. I'd say if they're living in a cup since Thurs, they're pretty strong little guys. I prob need to put in just the tiniest piece of food for them. piece of brine shrimp maybe? or something from LRS Reef Frenzy?

Did you decide on two islands? Looking at the size and shape of the rocks, probably all you have room for. It sure is pretty rock!!!! :)

Yes, will definitely have to be 2 island. It'll be interesting trying to scape it, They're wonderful and so the worst side has to face the sand, I want to bring out the best qualities of them facing up. Oh, the coral looking things are browning however the tiny pieces of macro are growing.

Ammonia was .5 yesterday. Today is 1.0. So it doubled. Tomorrow evening I'll do my first 20% water change. I'm down 2 inches, keeping room for another 10lb bag of arag alive and the Jebao-25. I'm going to have to float the shrimp under the cover of the Evolve. I can't really put the Jebao on the big tank until then w/ the fact that those little cups would probably circle incessantly and probably make the mants dizzy, sick, cause them stress and die. Saw the brittle worm Randi and I left in there from the first day. Otherwise I haven't seen any more critters.

Mantis are still alive in the 1 cup plastic containers. I dumped 3/4 of the water in their little containers into the tank and filled remainder w/ some established water in the Evolve.

007_zps68bfc21e.jpg

I like this scape, But would take one rock one each side to add some height :happy:

I like this scape, But would take one rock one each side to add some height :happy:

Thanks, I was just laying the rocks out for the cycling, once that's done then I'll figure out where it's going. It will definitely be 2 islands and a small rock off to the side w/ gsp as an accent.

Did you get to buy any reef goodies for your birthday???

I still have black paint. Should I paint the back of the mantis tank? 2 heaters and 2 small HOB- probably AquaClear 30 will be what goes in there. That will probably be the only flow, is that enough?

Thanks, I was just laying the rocks out for the cycling, once that's done then I'll figure out where it's going. It will definitely be 2 islands and a small rock off to the side w/ gsp as an accent.

Did you get to buy any reef goodies for your birthday???

I'm getting plenty!

Yes, will definitely have to be 2 island. It'll be interesting trying to scape it, They're wonderful and so the worst side has to face the sand, I want to bring out the best qualities of them facing up. Oh, the coral looking things are browning however the tiny pieces of macro are growing.

You have some really nice pieces to work with. Those corals that are browning will come back. Eventually you'll see little polyps sticking out of them.

You have some really nice pieces to work with. Those corals that are browning will come back. Eventually you'll see little polyps sticking out of them.

Good to know, I didn't know if it was the same browning when corals start dying in your tank due to lack of light. I have it on lowlight during the day.

When do you get your Haitian mermaid?

Good to know, I didn't know if it was the same browning when corals start dying in your tank due to lack of light. I have it on lowlight during the day.

When do you get your Haitian mermaid?

No..actually, mine haven't really colored up all that much. They are kind of a brownish green color and very hardy. They should make it through your cycle just fine.

Not sure about the mermaid. I've ordered quite a few things lately (not just coral, but clothes too :lol:), and have gotten a few ship notices. I'll have to check if one of those is the mermaid. I'm looking forward to receiving it. :)

Archived