Pod Your Reef

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

Thanks. And I know yours is incredible! Beyond words in my opinion- are those saltwater air plants?

Thanks so much its a work in progess. No theyre normal air plants im just trying my best to keep them alive in a saltwater environment.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sump will happen after Thanksgiving since I'm going out of town. And I have to borrow the neighbor's drill for a 1/4" hole I have to make in a tube so there's continous siphon. I put in astrea, nassarius and ceriths today. Also when I get back from Thanksgiving i'll be making a KP Aquatics order - part of which will be the mated neon gobies so I can transfer my fish over.

I still have yet to do laundry and it's 8:45 but does feel like 9:45. I need to change the clocks, it's messing with me.

Anyway, Like I said earlier I've been busy today. A mantis tank is born. I didn't end up painting the back black, too cold for me to spray paint I think. And it's dark in the hall anyway. If I want I can always add some black backing later if need be. Guess I have to order the AC30 tonight, along w/ that float switch for the sump.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/053_zps6172d372.jpg.html'>053_zps6172d372.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/055_zps7979a865.jpg.html'>055_zps7979a865.jpg

Should I call it Dueling Mantis?

Additionally, I did the 20% waterchange on the 34, turned on the skimmer (this little thing is a workhorse seeing all the crazy bubbles inside it) and I put in the Jebao W-25 on W1 S3 and turned the dial all the way to the right for the least amount of waves. And I have shimmer!!! I LOVE MY SHIMMER.

Aquaticlife mini 115 getting broken in.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/058_zps676ff478.jpg.html'>058_zps676ff478.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/066_zpseffe9c53.jpg.html'>066_zpseffe9c53.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/043_zps6ef27090.jpg.html'>043_zps6ef27090.jpg

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/057_zpsad70e5c4.jpg.html'>057_zpsad70e5c4.jpg

I's not on a blue setting but I haven't changed my camera's setting yet. Oh, and the Jebao- very quiet.

It's a little late for this comment but with the light on the mantis tank (I have the same one) you can slide it onto the little ledge of the rim of the aquarium. Wish I could have seen this earlier as you probably could have raised the water level a bit.

Amazing looking tanks btw!

A little better now- I'm only 1/4" under the black trim and I didn't want it all the way to the top because I don't want them to get out or visit each other. I figure I know they can leap but w/ tomorrow's visit to Lowes I'll get a top on it. I worry about it falling in the water because already a few times the suction cup unstuck. I just borrowed it because it came w/ the 34 g kit from Marineland but it works out perfect still. Here's a pic w/ just my current lid til then. You can see the most recent pics under Dueling Mantids. What a shock though to get them- KP Aquatics told me they see like 1 out of every 500 lbs of rock and I get 3. And Thanks, I appreciate the compliments- all this is happening so fast and I still feel like a novice.

116_zpsa3c71ac4.jpg

115_zps039cb5bd.jpg

Looking good, chika :happy:

Thanks Lalani. It's all coming along. I know I shouldn't be but I'm a little nervous about moving corals the the 34. How do I move the rock flower? other things are more easy. I'm also picking up some kitchen gloves from Lowes tomorrow since it would be best. I'll have to for sure pick up the rock and move it temporarily because the flower's back side is stuck into the space between 2 pieces. Does it have to be in water when I move it? Or can I do like I would with a zoa?

The nem will be fine out of water for a while. They are quite hardy actually. How long though?

Don't stress about it!

not long, just taking it out and walking it over like 15 ft. Good to know then. Thank You.

Moved 3 mushrooms, duncan, dendro, 2 ricordeas, the Vivid's Rainbow, a zoa, 5 acans, a brain coral and the rock flower anemone. It was attached to the rock but I angled it so it would shove itself off out of discomfort and it did finally. Didn't realize just how hard it is to remove it and you won't win if you try. I had to rearrange the Evolve 8 and I couldn't recreate it so it has a slightly different scape- I'll put up the pic on my initial Evolve 8 thread tomorrow. Acans are not in there permanent spots, just wanted to spread them out for now.

019_zpsd0b590b5.jpg

030_zps23c54122.jpg

033_zpse25d8c55.jpg

037_zps90f02116.jpg

Outstanding! I love it.

I know how hard rock nems are to remove :angry: They are so slippery! I've wanted a white one like that for quite some time. Yours is gorgeous! I hope it stays put :lol: If you want it to that is, haha.

I am NOT looking forward to having to get four maximinis off the rocks they've chosen.

...and I'm sure they will not listen when I explain that the rocks are going in the trash, so they need to move to the new tank.

;)

Outstanding! I love it.

I know how hard rock nems are to remove :angry: They are so slippery! I've wanted a white one like that for quite some time. Yours is gorgeous! I hope it stays put :lol: If you want it to that is, haha.

I got if from Saltcritters, I didn't know which color I was going to get because it wasn't WYSIWYG and it was like $7 normally $10 but it was on sale. Now Saltcritters is doing WYSIWYG. I'm very happy with it but any next ones surrounding it I'd like to have some color. They'll show each other off better. I just checked since I turned the lights down to almost off and he hasn't moved yet.

I am NOT looking forward to having to get four maximinis off the rocks they've chosen.

...and I'm sure they will not listen when I explain that the rocks are going in the trash, so they need to move to the new tank.

;)

Wow, I don't know how you do that. Is each rock detachable so you can lean it near the rock you'd like it to crawl onto?

There's the catch. I'm not going to be able to put the rocks they are on in the same container as any other rock, since I'm trying to avoid transferring any algae from this tank to the new one. I'm going to have to detach them from the rocks. Supposedly, you can use ice to convince them to move. (From RODI, I'm guessing) Whatever they move onto is going to have to be unable to sustain roots, like something glass or smooth ceramic perhaps.

How do you like your skimmer? We have that one and we hate it. It is a real pain to keep it skimming correctly. We just bought a reef octopus hob skimmer to replace it.

Weird. We have to keep the water level just right and no one is allowed to walk heavily into the room with the tank or else it gets all messed up again.

Got back from my Thanksgiving from seeing my mom-in-law in KY- they caught the tater!!!!!!! After all these years of doing the normal speeding on the highway, a state trooper tagged me. I was in VA, in 10 mins I would've been in TN where the speedlimit is 70. Needless to say it angered me that I was caught and I will have $138 less money to put on tank related goodies. SO, WHAT DID I DO?

Went to 2 websites and bought coral, few more snails and fish (I couldn't get the fish from 1 website), one for the bank card, one for the credit card to try please myself.

Hopefully I'll have some pics by the end of the week.

I told him I was sorry I didn't have some good story for him and that I was just heavy on the petal coming down a hill. Argh. I can't help it, I'm from Chicago, that's all we can do to survive the highways there.

Lame! How fast were you going? I got a ticket a few months ago in Virginia for $200. They sure have sneaky cops there.

What corals/fish did you get? Or is that a surprise? ;)

Well, 75 in a 55 but because he noticed I slapped on the brakes he took it down to 72. RIght there were KY, VA, TN come together. Nasty spot, coming off a hill. Yeah, so you're in OH so you probably know the spot.

Between the 2 sites I'm getting some nerites, star astreas, a mated pair of blue neon gobies, yellow goby, flower nems, a couple gorgs and a 7 pack of mushies to split for the mantids. :P

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/019_zps0f858394.jpg.html'>019_zps0f858394.jpg

Well, 75 in a 55 but because he noticed I slapped on the brakes he took it down to 72. RIght there were KY, VA, TN come together. Nasty spot, coming off a hill. Yeah, so you're in OH so you probably know the spot.

Between the 2 sites I'm getting some nerites, star astreas, a mated pair of blue neon gobies, yellow goby, flower nems, a couple gorgs and a 7 pack of mushies to split for the mantids. :P

sounds like a KPA order =). He gave you a ticket for 75 in 55? That sucks. Usually they get you at 80. 75 in 55 is pretty normal here....Must also be an end of the month thing

Finaddictsaltwaterfish.com (which really resembles KPA even w/ some pics of fish- found a nice deal on rock flower)- we'll see how they do and LiveAquaria. Next order will be KPA again

Told you it was crap, who in there right mind goes 55 on the highway?, unless you're older and are in the geriatric lane like my mom-in-law calls it for herself.

Archived