Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish better than orange ones. I think they would be a pretty contrast to bright colors in the tank. Are bubble corals difficult to keep? And will clownfish host those? I know they don't have to have a nem and I've certainly seen people give options only to find it hosting another breed of fish or gsp, or corner or water output for that matter.

Oh, forgot to add earlier that the tank came w/ a glass lid that folds back.

lnglostsurfer

I had a black and white clown in my 10g when I was still in florida. Great little guy and hosted my frogspawn that grew from 1 head into about 12...kind of took over the whole tank. Looks great with water though! I'm super excited about your rock, kind of living through you right now. Might be a little while until I get everything together ...

Mr. Microscope

I will be moving my tailspot and 6 line, want to get a mated pair of blue neon gobies from KP Aquatics, a yellow goby too, they look so cute and you can't beat the bright yellow.

What clowns remain smaller? Oh, and I'm mainly doing mushrooms, some lps, want to do maybe 3 kinds of different variety dendro, I have a rock flower, want to get another, some gorgs. some things I've never had.

Cool! Should be a great tank!

As for clowns, there really aren't any that stay very small. Occy's and Perc's are small-"er" (I used the bunny fingers here with the "er" LOL), but everything else gets to the 4-5"+ range (skunks, clarkii's, maroon, tomato, etc.). I've even seen some occy and perc females get nearly that big. However, it takes about five years for a female to get to a big mature size. I got my true percs at about an inch and they're maybe 2.5 inches now after about two years. So, you'll be good for a while.

Love clowns and think all tanks need a pair! Go with Occelaris or Percs like has been said. Clowns host...many random things. From nems to corals to powerheads. You can only hope they host what you want them to.

And away we go! Great.

Clowns. I got the oranges (like apples and oranges) one is misbar, one is full bar. I like the natural look, I was thinking designer like buckshot clowns. There's a breeder here in Ontario, has the picasso, platinum etc..but I think what mother nature gave us is bestest. I had wanted one black and one orange, but these two were paired and waiting to be homed, so I took them. As well under the actinics in the evening, they appear black and white in contrast to the floruescent stuff :) Best of both worlds I guess lol.

I had a black and white clown...gorgeous fish!!!! There's a picture of her in Albert's book...I think. I was wanting to pair her with a O/W clown, but I waited too long. I think it would be a pretty combination.

No Z's and P's?

:lol:

One track mind. :flower:

Mr. Microscope

Love clowns and think all tanks need a pair! Go with Occelaris or Percs like has been said. Clowns host...many random things. From nems to corals to powerheads. You can only hope they host what you want them to.

Mine host my gold torch (used to host my clam :angry: ). Pretty cool to watch.

BTW, If your clown hosts a powerhead, it won't be hosting it very long. LOL!

blender-party-o.gif

Mr. Microscope

LOL Mine did for awhile but hovered over top of it not trying to get inside it.

My tailspot used to go hang out IN my MP10 whenever I turned it off. Can't tell you how many times I came close to broadcast feeding my tank blenny tartare. :lol:
lnglostsurfer

Yeah...sooo.....I definitely stole your plant hangar idea. Sorry! haha, it looks great though. (And I ended up getting the curved one instead of the straight one that you used.) Can't wait for pictures of the rock!!

Love how bright that light is making your tank :) I've never seen anyone use the little boxes before...what a great idea. I'd imagine it will really help with your rock's cycling because any dying material isn't going to get trapped between the rock and the sand. The dimensions of that tank is really nice too.

It's a great pumpkin Charlie Brown!!

007_zps8bcd962d.jpg

Now the rock from KP Aquatics. I love it.

It's awesome. Tiny macros growing, red stuff and also green halimeda, pink, purple, green, orange coralline algae, Randi helped me see I had isopods so we immediately disposed of them, then have 2 small urchins, several sponges, corals, have tiny little feather dusters opening up, 3 green mantis shrimp!!! Which blew me away. And if Randi wasn't here helping I probably would've thrown them away because I didn't recognize them for how small they are.
The owners/divers told me they'd see one every 400-500 lbs and I got 3. Randi has a fuge so I let her take one home, the biggest one 3/4" long, then I have one in a container that's like 2/3" long and the other one is .5". I have to work on Saturday so this stinks. If they survive overnight I have to figure out what to do with them, maybe try get some credit from 1 lfs here. So a good bristle worm, left him in, and the last thing was clear but it moved, it was a tiny clear shrimp of some kind. I'm very pleased with it. The growth of the macros is certainly smaller than the picture but very happy with it.
I haven't read any of my posts yet today. Going to put up my pics. No special order.
031_zps27839908.jpg
046_zps179263e8.jpg
053_zps283e043c.jpg
041_zps3429e59e.jpg
040_zps17defad1.jpg
036_zps7022f3f7.jpg
035_zps120457a5.jpg
034_zps349e190b.jpg
043_zps68a63126.jpg

I've been away staring at my tank, seeing so many feather dusters open, found a small snail, found evidence that the little clear shrimp is under a rock alright- he made a home.

056_zps93329822.jpg

Found one of the sea urchins.

057_zpsd9344ecc.jpg

Found little macros unfolding.

061_zps47a3d78e.jpg

062_zps7a11b8d3.jpg

here's one of the corals- I think that other one looked like a porite or something, in the earlier set of pics.

I have 2 like this.

073_zps1376dd55.jpg

And a pic of each mantis. The smaller is green, the larger is brownish/red w/ specks.

069_zps7f3d7ee7.jpg

067_zpsb0a10b8f.jpg

Dayum!! That is really good looking rock. Cute dog to ;)

Thanks. I haven't eaten since I got home. I had to add more water, had to get the rocks in, had to stare, had to take pics, had to stare.

That looks like some good rock. You have a lot of coralline and sponges in there!

I know I don't know what everything is. One rock looks like someone took some grey clay and smooth it over a good portion of it. ???

Oh those pics are great! That's really nice looking rock. Looks like its covered in color :)

light pink, darker pink, orange, red, purple, light green, a rainbow.

I know I don't know what everything is. One rock looks like someone took some grey clay and smooth it over a good portion of it. ???

I think you pretty much covered everything that you have that you have seen so far. It's pretty cool that you got some mantis shrimp too!

I think you pretty much covered everything that you have that you have seen so far. It's pretty cool that you got some mantis shrimp too!

I didn't expect that, they said they usually see one for every 400-500 lbs. Well....3x lucky.

Archived