inTank Media Baskets

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank You, tank you.

The landscape on the left changed slightly but I really think I still kept up what it was doing. I moved 2 rocks down to the 60 that had 3 nems a piece and moved 2 empty ones from the 60 up. I attached the gorg and today it was already opening up. So, I don't think it looks that different which is good. I didn't want to change up the scape. And luckily, I found my St Thomas and he has a lovely spot now, a nook for himself where he won't get blown around.

Left 2 rocks.

037_zps93e55c2c.jpg

042_zps2f40a95f.jpg

046_zps7d58900c.jpg

And here's the St Thomas. I'm very happy he's over here now. May have a chance now at living. Nems were crawling too much around. So I have 5 nems still left on the furthermost right rock. I have yet to pry off the rainbow and I believe I'm also going to transfer 2 others, the orangish/gold and red.

094_zpsb813711d.jpg

051_zps13c32183.jpg

next page transfer!

Well, I've got some bad luck right now. My 34g is leaking, looked like from the top left corner where the black seal is. I've had a little dribble of water coming down the last several days. Today I came home and there was visible water around the perimeter of the tank on the stand. You could see the water seaping. So I took out 15 gallons, put 8 back and siliconed down the back corner 3 inches and like 2-3 across the top where the black seal meets the tank. I assume I nicked the silicone seal somewhere when I was razor cleaning.

An hour later, still have water dripping from somewhere.

So, now what to do????. Move the rocks, corals and fish into the 60g rock flower tank in the meantime so I can empty this tank, move the sand to each side while I seal the tank? It otherwise may be coming from the bottom left front side.

It's definitely coming from the left side.

No money for another tank either.

Could it be the same spot? Silicone does not adhere to dried silicone. That's crazy its leaking because there should be silicone between the glass panes themselves.

Wow - that's the only thing in this hobby that scares me.. My priorities would be to (1) save the house and (2) save the critters. Luckily it looks like you have the time and spare tank to do both.

I don't know if you can do a real repair without a cleaning and removing of the contents and old silicone. I'm not sure how a repair costs next to a replacement - or if I would trust it after it was fixed. Hopefully there is somewhere local you can take it to be re-sealed and it not cost too much..

Best of luck - I feel for ya..

I resealed most of my tanks myself. No leaks *crosses fingers*

You will need to strip all of the silicone except what is between the glass itself. Clean it well to make sure the residue is gone (use vinegar) and then reapply it.

Could it be the same spot? Silicone does not adhere to dried silicone. That's crazy its leaking because there should be silicone between the glass panes themselves.

Well, I only put the silicone this evening and have kept that 3 inches out of the water. So can't be.

ouch, this must be frustrating. hope it's an east fix once the livestock are moved

That's what I'm thinking. I have to save the livestock and fudge, I didn't want the 60 to get cluttered up. Not to mention I have cyano in the other tank I'm trying to control.

Wow - that's the only thing in this hobby that scares me.. My priorities would be to (1) save the house and (2) save the critters. Luckily it looks like you have the time and spare tank to do both.

I don't know if you can do a real repair without a cleaning and removing of the contents and old silicone. I'm not sure how a repair costs next to a replacement - or if I would trust it after it was fixed. Hopefully there is somewhere local you can take it to be re-sealed and it not cost too much..

Best of luck - I feel for ya..

Thanks, If I can find where the silicone was, move my hand along where maybe there's a spot that lifts up or something, maybe I can find where I broke the seal. Oh, I have a cucumber and a butterscotch snail to move too. I can put tiny ceriths in the Evolve 8, bigger snails in the 60g and all else with Gertie. I'm going to bring the corals downstairs tomorrow and remove 5 gallons of water and see if I still leak. I'm just going to move 5g of water at a time out and wait an hour. Maybe I can find the leak that way. I'm also trying to avoid a drastic change in anything. That's all I can think of to do.

Well, I've got some bad luck right now. My 34g is leaking, looked like from the top left corner where the black seal is. I've had a little dribble of water coming down the last several days. Today I came home and there was visible water around the perimeter of the tank on the stand. You could see the water seaping. So I took out 15 gallons, put 8 back and siliconed down the back corner 3 inches and like 2-3 across the top where the black seal meets the tank. I assume I nicked the silicone seal somewhere when I was razor cleaning.

An hour later, still have water dripping from somewhere.

I'm so sorry to hear this! Leaking is the one thing I'm most afraid of. It sounds like you have a plan though. And though it may not seem so, you are lucky that the leak is slow and you have time to deal with it - even though it's a real PITA!

Good luck and keep us posted. :scarry:

Ok, here's the latest. After I glued yesterday I thought I still had more dripping below where I siliconed. It was just residual. It was dry this am. So, I did another 5 g water change (might as well take care of some nitrates while I'm in there) and I also raised the water up an inch onto the silicone and I have transparent tape to mark the level of water. So, I'll wait again this evening and hopefully see no leaks. Another 1 3/4" and I'll be at the bottom of the overflow teeth. Not far to go.

sympathies, hope things work out, maybe its just a sign that its time to go bigger and better :)

Ha, yeah, I won't go bigger, not since I have the 60g downstairs. No room for one. But I'm already maxed. I've slacked and I need to get on top of these weekly water changes. I"m doing like 2 tanks one weekend, 2 the next. Esp downstairs since I have the cyano. I need to go check the nitrate level in the 60. The last phosphate level was zero.

Ok, here's the latest. After I glued yesterday I thought I still had more dripping below where I siliconed. It was just residual. It was dry this am. So, I did another 5 g water change (might as well take care of some nitrates while I'm in there) and I also raised the water up an inch onto the silicone and I have transparent tape to mark the level of water. So, I'll wait again this evening and hopefully see no leaks. Another 1 3/4" and I'll be at the bottom of the overflow teeth. Not far to go.

Wow, glad it wasn't down low!!!! Makes it a lot less stressful I'm sure.

Wow, glad it wasn't down low!!!! Makes it a lot less stressful I'm sure.

Oh my God , you ain't kidding! So much, much much much less stressful. I probably took my blood pressure down 30 points when I realized it wasn't on the bottom or middle.

Oh my God , you ain't kidding! So much, much much much less stressful. I probably took my blood pressure down 30 points when I realized it wasn't on the bottom or middle.

I would have never even thought about a razor blade breaking the silicone seal. Now I know to be extra careful if I use one :).

I would have never even thought about a razor blade breaking the silicone seal. Now I know to be extra careful if I use one :).

That's the only thing I could come up with for the reason. Because it was fine the previous 9 mos.

Ouch on the seal leak, hope everything goes better with the silicone job. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the support everybody.

I have a couple of these then I have my 3 aptasia or so. I don't believe this is an aptasia. What is this? A mojano? And can I kill w/ dabbing some kalk paste on it?

059_zps9681afbe.jpg

Do the extensions look like feathers? If so, I've got a few of them too. I was told on the ID forum they're little filter feeders. Don't recall the actual name though.. Perfectly harmless if that's what it is.

Archived