Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

I don't think it is a mojano the tentacles aren't long enough and the mouth doesn't look the same as the ones I had. You can probably kill it with kalk .

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the extensions look like feathers? If so, I've got a few of them too. I was told on the ID forum they're little filter feeders. Don't recall the actual name though.. Perfectly harmless if that's what it is.

Maybe a cup coral???

I don't think so, The center white disc is 1/4" and each tentacle is like 3/4" long. Any zoa put by it was killed.

I don't think it is a mojano the tentacles aren't long enough and the mouth doesn't look the same as the ones I had. You can probably kill it with kalk .

Yeah, i'm going to kill it w/ kalk paste today.

Found some salt creep again at the front left bottom side rim crevice. Wish I knew where the hole was. It would be cool if some air bubbles showed or something, and now I see no actual water dripping anywhere like it had been the back left side top by the black rim, so I'm baffled. I'm going to take that inch of water out that I put in and dry it and give the silicone a wider spread in that back corner.

Just put a ball of kalk paste on 3 aptasia & 2 "other". Found one in the sand that was hooked up to the rock, scooped underneath it and threw it into my freshwater tank for laughs. Die Sucker Die!

I took out an inch of water, dried the spot and put some silicone, I also decided to put a light spread of silicone where the glass meets the rim on the bottom left front side. Since the sand is there it's not visible to viewing.

Oh, convenient thing! Remember that little crab I'd see every 3 mos? He was transferred to Rockin' Flower Garden. He lived in one of the rocks I moved over and I just saw something crawl back into the rock. Also that ended up relocating but I didn't see it yet, the largest of the brittle worms. Still not huge but it's at least out of the 34. He can pick up any food that falls in the 60.

We'll see how it is, there's still a little salt creep in 1 place but I filled it up the rest of the way. I can wipe a little salt creep, just don't want actual standing water around the perimeter of the stand. We'll see how it is overnight.

Just put a ball of kalk paste on 3 aptasia & 2 "other". Found one in the sand that was hooked up to the rock, scooped underneath it and threw it into my freshwater tank for laughs. Die Sucker Die!

I took out an inch of water, dried the spot and put some silicone, I also decided to put a light spread of silicone where the glass meets the rim on the bottom left front side. Since the sand is there it's not visible to viewing.

Oh, convenient thing! Remember that little crab I'd see every 3 mos? He was transferred to Rockin' Flower Garden. He lived in one of the rocks I moved over and I just saw something crawl back into the rock. Also that ended up relocating but I didn't see it yet, the largest of the brittle worms. Still not huge but it's at least out of the 34. He can pick up any food that falls in the 60.

Aiptasia are evil incarnate, lol. How are you liking the kalk approach? I've always boiled any I've found in the past with good results (not always for the coral though :unsure:) and may go the superglue route in the future.

Hope this can be the finishing touch for that leak!

Aiptasia are evil incarnate, lol. How are you liking the kalk approach? I've always boiled any I've found in the past with good results (not always for the coral though :unsure:) and may go the superglue route in the future.

Hope this can be the finishing touch for that leak!

The only downside I found so far is that when I smash a ball of kalk paste onto it half of it starts floating around the tank and it can burn through a mushy, acan, etc if it lands on it. But Aptasia Rx does that too. I've tried boiled water in a syringe as well as lemon. No matter what I've tried it always comes back after some time.

First time since I had this tank since Halloween 2013 that I found a molt from my shrimp. He was so tiny when I first discovered him in the bottom of the bag w/ the rock from KP Aquatics. I could've easily missed him, he was translucent, tiny but has made noise every since. I found claws and only a very translucent skin for the body, like 2/3". I have only actually seen him one time. I assume it's a pistol.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/001_zpsea4e9128.jpg.html'>001_zpsea4e9128.jpg

The only downside I found so far is that when I smash a ball of kalk paste onto it half of it starts floating around the tank and it can burn through a mushy, acan, etc if it lands on it. But Aptasia Rx does that too. I've tried boiled water in a syringe as well as lemon. No matter what I've tried it always comes back after some time.

Looked into Burghia nudibranchs? I haven't had to deal with this personally, but I've heard this is an excellent natural approach. They're usually used for major outbreaks, not just a few. But if it remove them quickly, you'l avoid an outbreak.

Just put a ball of kalk paste on 3 aptasia & 2 "other". Found one in the sand that was hooked up to the rock, scooped underneath it and threw it into my freshwater tank for laughs. Die Sucker Die! I never had to deal with Aptasia in my nano but have been battling them the last 4 months in my 220 gallon. Every time I think they are dead, they come back with force. All it takes is one of these little (sensored) to reek havoc on our systems. Reminds me that I need to put more Aptasia-X on them once again.

Looked into Burghia nudibranchs? I haven't had to deal with this personally, but I've heard this is an excellent natural approach. They're usually used for major outbreaks, not just a few. But if it remove them quickly, you'l avoid an outbreak.
I need something to eliminate the Aptasia in my 220 gallon reef. Do these Nudibranchs have any natural enemies? I have several wrasses in my aquarium and hope they won't go after them. I guess a little research will be involved.
Nano sapiens

Leaks are sooo frustrating. Hope you can seal it without a tear down.

If you do, I've kept a tank going by transferring everything into a similar sized cooler for a few days with a heater and a pump. Only issue is if your substrate is mucky then it's best to transfer it to a different container and vacuum it clean before adding it back to the tank when done. Silicone cures thoroughly in 48 hours so 2-3 three days in the cooler should be fine for corals and fish.

Leaks are sooo frustrating. Hope you can seal it without a tear down.

If you do, I've kept a tank going by transferring everything into a similar sized cooler for a few days with a heater and a pump. Only issue is if your substrate is mucky then it's best to transfer it to a different container and vacuum it clean before adding it back to the tank when done. Silicone cures thoroughly in 48 hours so 2-3 three days in the cooler should be fine for corals and fish.

So 22 hrs ago I added the rest of the water no salt creep encrustation anywhere & no leaks. So far so good.

Nano sapiens

So 22 hrs ago I added the rest of the water no salt creep encrustation anywhere & no leaks. So far so good.

Well, that's good to hear!

No leak, 48 hrs later. Seems I sealed it up. I'll give an update again in a couple days. Definitely have my fingers crossed still. : )

No leak, 48 hrs later. Seems I sealed it up. I'll give an update again in a couple days. Definitely have my fingers crossed still. : )

Hopefully that problem is behind you! fingerscrossed

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I didn't realize it had been a month without updates.

I haven't purchased anything in a while so soon to this tank will be a nano red brittle starfish for $4.25 from SealifeInc (KPAquatics).

No more red finger gorgonian, it bit the dust.

I keep finding aptasia recurring in mostly the same places. Now I'll glue them down and try to put a coral in it's place.

I'll be moving the frogspawn to the left side of the tank where there's less direct flow.

I'll be moving the dendro back to the right side of the tank. I'm thinking same spot it was in, seemed happier there.

The refugium, skimmer and overflow are not running right now because I needed the Tunze ATO pump from this tank to put in my 60 after once again the pump downstairs (uh-huh, and that's the replacement pump) stopped. It didn't start up no matter how much I shook it. So, I'll be trying out a SmartATO for this one, when I get some overtime money which I'm working for this weekend and next week.

I'll also be moving the pencil urchin to the tank with Gertie.

And some zoa purchases should come next week. Stay tuned.

My Tunze ATO also stopped working. I kept shaking it, reconnecting everything, and cleaning the sensor thing. I been manually filling up 3 times a day. Not ideal, but I may just keep doing that instead of another ATO.

Can't wait to see the new zoas! Will you be getting some zoas from KPA? They have those new lime palys that's on sale and look pretty cool.

My Tunze ATO also stopped working. I kept shaking it, reconnecting everything, and cleaning the sensor thing. I been manually filling up 3 times a day. Not ideal, but I may just keep doing that instead of another ATO.

Can't wait to see the new zoas! Will you be getting some zoas from KPA? They have those new lime palys that's on sale and look pretty cool.

Nope, I'm getting them from your neck of the cement, Woos. All Paly/zoas.

It's a pain to fill up this one because it's behind a door and the section that needs the filling it's awkward to get to to pour the water in every morning, after work and bedtime.

Archived