ReefCleaners.org

Dubber's In-Wall 29 Gallon

iadubber

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of kicking myself. I almost wish I had done a 29 gallon instead. :(

I was planning a 20L build but now im considering a 29. I built a DIY stand but luckily the base dimensions are the same. Do you feel the extra height is necessary? Im now leaning towards the 29 but keep jumping back and forth.

Tank looks great by the way!

I was planning a 20L build but now im considering a 29. I built a DIY stand but luckily the base dimensions are the same. Do you feel the extra height is necessary? Im now leaning towards the 29 but keep jumping back and forth.

Tank looks great by the way!

I plan on picking up a 29 gallon today at the PetCo $1 per gallon sale. Not sure if I'll use it or not. If I do it'll be a slow build with drilling the glass and re siliconing to black.

Picked up a 29 gallon today and ordered a glass holes kit. I'll slowly start working on the upgrade the next few months. Stripping the clear silicone for black is the first step for me.

Just ordered an SCA-301 skimmer to replace my CPR bak pak 2 HOB. I just got tired of bumping my CPR because it hangs off my sump and I keep hitting it with my knees when I working in my tank.

I have the CPR skimmer fuge combo and I've never gotten the skimmer to work reliably. I think you'll be much happier with the cone design, I know I am. I've got an Eshoppes HOB on one of my tanks and it's much more reliable.

Tank looks fantastic, closeup shots look great. I wish I could get my purple hairy mushroom to expand. I've had it for months, in three different tanks, and it now sits in my 20. I'm hoping a dirty unskimmed tank will be the trick to getting this thing to grow.

I have the CPR skimmer fuge combo and I've never gotten the skimmer to work reliably. I think you'll be much happier with the cone design, I know I am. I've got an Eshoppes HOB on one of my tanks and it's much more reliable.

Tank looks fantastic, closeup shots look great. I wish I could get my purple hairy mushroom to expand. I've had it for months, in three different tanks, and it now sits in my 20. I'm hoping a dirty unskimmed tank will be the trick to getting this thing to grow.

My bak pak 2 seems to work quite well actually. It pulls a decent dark green tea colored skimmate I just keep hitting it and it pisses me off lol. I'll have to rework my sump stand to fit the extra height of the SCA301 but shouldn't take too long. Plus I need more room anyways to swap out filter socks too.

Looks good, Thats for the 29? Im probably pulling the trigger on a glass holes overflow too. Cant decide between that and my eshopps hob that i have already.

Yep for the 29 that this tank will go in to. I got the black silicone today so I can start taking the clear silicone off soon. I've used glass holes in my last two tanks.

Just ordered an SCA-301 skimmer to replace my CPR bak pak 2 HOB. I just got tired of bumping my CPR because it hangs off my sump and I keep hitting it with my knees when I working in my tank.

You'll really like this skimmer. Been running run for at least 6 months and I can say, it's quiet and once it gets broken in, it definitely pulls some nasty skimmate.

I plan on picking up a 29 gallon today at the PetCo $1 per gallon sale. Not sure if I'll use it or not. If I do it'll be a slow build with drilling the glass and re siliconing to black.

Does Petco not have the 29 w/ black silicone? Sorry we don't have Petco's up here. Seems like a lot of extra work! Btw, I'm putting together a 29 (with black silicone) that will be inside an existing shelving unit in my living room, so it's almost like an in-wall tank. I just gotta reinforce the shelf properly or I am dead meat. The 29 offers the most viewable space for an in-wall/shelf tank, and the proportion of the tank is perfect (read: golden ratio)! Hope you get it up running sooner than later!

black silicone is sexy!! not available anywhere around here, at least not without driving 2hrs to a GOOD fish store.. good luck replacing silicone, I tried to cut a tank apart at the seams last weekend (wanted to seperate the panels), let's just say it ended with blood and glass everywhere :owned:

Can't get a 29 with black anywhere around here. It was a couple hours work today to get the clear off. The black is a bitch to work with. I've resealed one tank prior and this seemed a lot harder and it's not perfect. Luckily one side looks good and I will paint the bad side. Curing now and a water test to come Saturday.

Here's the 29 I stripped the clear silicone from yesterday and did black. As you can see the back pane seams didn't turn out perfect so I'll use that for the back glass and paint it black. The front pane didn't turn out too bad for my first black silicone job.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharwick/11687076296/'>11687076296_834e7cd6a0_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadharwick/11687076296/'>IMG_3460 by http://www.flickr.com/people/chadharwick/'>iadubber, on Flickr

Bought new hawaaian black sand for the transfer to make it a bit easier. That way I can get the 29 setup and leave the stock still in my 20 long while I make the swap over and cut open the wall bigger.

Heading to wal mart today for black plastidip as well.

Archived