Top Shelf Aquatics

Dubber's In-Wall 29 Gallon

iadubber

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got sold at the LFS on some super fine sand. I hate it. It gets everywhere and it took 2 weeks to settle out (I'm guessing the bacteria is weighing it down) either way, if your not terribly partial to super fine sand id say ditch it for something thicker. I wish i had.

you can see the giant valley in my sig picture which (thank god) has finally stopped appearing after me leveling out the sand 5325 times

I came home lastnight to a surprisingly clearer water column. I could actually see the dunes the powerhead had made. I felt the sand and it was hard on the top. I had to do some shifting though and it clouded back up. Hopefully the rest of the bed will "harden up" like most of it was lastnight. it worries me though that I do want to get at least one Goby.

Thanks, it's been fun. I had all my other tanks upstairs and water changes sucked, hearing pumps sucked, seeing cast off light sucked. This will hopefully work perfect for me having the water all above the tank for easy changes. The only thing the room behind the tank doesn't have is a large drain. Just the one drain for the HVAC so I will have to still haul a bucket every week.

Busy day today.

Here's a back of the tank shot. The black needs to be touched up. I plan to just get some black in a can and rolling on another couple coats.

10593952044_8dbe19e87c_c.jpg

That shows the AC70 that I'll have doing mechanical filtration until I get livestock in there. Then I'll get some chaeto and a lamp to make it a fuge and run carbon as well.

If you see above the tank I am making a shelf for the RODI water tank and salt tank. This will also allow me alternative options to hanging a light instead of having it on the tank itself. I plan to put chains and eye bolts to hold the front of the shelf up before I start using it for water storage. The back is already lagged to the three wall studs. I hope to make a plumbing setup on the shelf where I can just pump rodi water to my salt mixing tub then use gravity to to my water change top off. I will just build a simple removable 1/2" PVC tube with many holes to spread out the rush of water.

Here is a front shot from my office. Don't mind the still wet filler putty. I don't claim to be a wood worker, the miters sucked, but will do the job for now.

10593922545_20f53c7982_c.jpg

I will do some caulking in the inside edges to block as much light leak as I can from the light.

My salt is out for delivery so I'll be filling tonight hopefully. I'm also rinsing the sand a bit in RODI water. I will be removing the MP10 prior to filling and just use my cheap aqeon power head until the dust settles.

I got an email from buildmyled.com that my light will be finshed and shipped by November 4th.

You may want to hang the MP-10's dry side motor directly from the black aquarium top brace incase the magnetic coupling fails. The way you have it set up, that's a na$ty fall for your pump if the magentic coupling fails.

You may want to hang the MP-10's dry side motor directly from the black aquarium top brace incase the magnetic coupling fails. The way you have it set up, that's a na$ty fall for your pump if the magentic coupling fails.

Thanks I do plan to use a wire staple to hold it to the stand. I just had it mocked up there right now. I don't have it in the tank right now waiting for the dust to settle.

sweet idea man. throw some cured live rock in there to get it going

That scares me as I have no reefers I know or trust close by. I would hate to introduce some nasty hitchhikers. I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

Currently on the hunt for an HOB skimmer....

I think I'm removing the marcorocks sand. I came home from work Monday and it a lot clearer than the last week. I topped off the water and went about the day. Came to check the tank last night and back to a cloudy mess. I plan to stop at Petco locally to see what sand they carry in house.

Yep three times. It's been a common theme with the Marcorocks sand as I've searched only after buying it. If the tank were deeper I might think about keeping it. I don't even have my MP10 hooked up yet and the sand is non stop shifting. I just bought some caribsea agrialive Hawaiian black to replace the marcorocks sand.

I totally LOVE this build. I've always wanted to have an in wall tank but hubby would have a fit....maybe I can send him to visit family in Hawaii for a few weeks and just have it finished when he returns hahaha.

Seriously - love it. Love the scape too - I like the rock on the left leaning over and all the empty space in the middle. Makes me want to re-scape :)

Here we go.....

Did a full sand swap tonight, got my light all hooked up. Currently selling some other stuff on eBay to fund an Apex JR unit to control the light and hopefully get the module to control the MP10.

This buildmyled light is amazingly constructed and made right here in the USA!

Pre Filling with new Hawaiian black sand
My salt water mix drip tube at work. I have to say it worked great!

Looking sweet! Be sure to have a good bit of sand cleaning critters with that black sand. I've had It before and it tends to get dirty quick. I had a fighting conch who did a great job keeping things cleaned up well.

Archived