SaltCritters.com

Dubber's In-Wall 29 Gallon

iadubber

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you like the BML fixture? Mines coming next week

I can't comment on coral growth at this time. I love the 14k color. The build of the light and ballast are very good quality and feels sturdy. The tank mounts I feel are a bit flimsy. I might get the hanging kit.

I agree: I love the 14k colour spectrum and I can say my corals do very well. SPS: my birdsnest is flourishing and has grown about an inch overall in approx 2 months. The tank mounts did seem a bit flimsy at first but I found they were in fact quite sturdy and did a fine job. Ultimately, I hung my fixture about 5 1/2 - 6 inches above the tank but only to clear the top for viewing :). Overall: totally impressed with the BML fixture and lighting quality.

interested to see how that BML light will look

I hate the CPR skimmer with a passion though would like to see how you feel ine 3 months lol

keep updating i'm tuned in

interested to see how that BML light will look

I hate the CPR skimmer with a passion though would like to see how you feel ine 3 months lol

keep updating i'm tuned in

Oh no, I fretted with my budget and if I needed a skimmer. I decided if I could get a CPR bak pak 2 or Eshopps PSK-75h I would take it. I found a CPR on ebay sold by CPR directly that is a second item with flaws in the plastic but fully operational. I read alot on HOB skimmers and it always seemed to rate highly. I plan to take out the bio bale. I guess we'll see. I'm already thinking my upgrade path to being sumped with a siphon overflow.

Following this build! Love the in wall concept and the frame around the tank. Sweet!

Thanks! It's different for sure!

lmao already thinking of sump why not just do it now from the get go ?

or leave it alone ac110 I think is overkill on this tank and will do you well in the long run + you dont have to see anything except that one little tube; overflow might be to intrusive in your minimalist , negative space look your going for.

I really like the rock work so far can you buy corals yet?

lmao already thinking of sump why not just do it now from the get go ?

or leave it alone ac110 I think is overkill on this tank and will do you well in the long run + you dont have to see anything except that one little tube; overflow might be to intrusive in your minimalist , negative space look your going for.

I really like the rock work so far can you buy corals yet?

Yeah I agree. The HOB skimmer will be intruding though anyways. This is my setup for now then adding the CPR bak pak 2 I got when the cycle is over.

No corals yet. We're still in our second week of the cycle. I think I'm just going to do zoas and rics in the beginning.

Really nice work so far. Personally I would have stuck with a sump for added filtration but that's just me. I really dig the water change station you made, great idea :).

Do you have a dimmer for the lights? Or run it through apex if you have one.

Yes they are dimmable and currently in the photo it's at about 35%. It is not however dimmable per color. It is apex dimmable too, but I haven't gotten an Apex yet. Still waiting to sell a few other things from past hobbies to fund that.

I use prodibio start up on every tank I start and its a miracle in a bottle. Intimidate colonization of beneficial bacteria and ammonia drops off in one day and nitrates sky rocket. Can safely add fish and coral in days.

great for impatient people!

can you post a photo a photo of the tank but backed up so I can see the whole wall? this build is really inspiring have to show it to my wife to convince her thats its ok to start cutting large holes in the dry wall

I can get you a farther away pic tonight. I've not really heard conclusive evidence of the bacteria in a bottle. I might swing out to my LFS and grab a live rock to put in. But it seems my cycle is on it's way consuming ammonia and making nitrates.

I use prodibio start up on every tank I start and its a miracle in a bottle. Intimidate colonization of beneficial bacteria and ammonia drops off in one day and nitrates sky rocket. Can safely add fish and coral in days.

great for impatient people!

can you post a photo a photo of the tank but backed up so I can see the whole wall? this build is really inspiring have to show it to my wife to convince her thats its ok to start cutting large holes in the dry wall

Here's the whole wall. Don't mind the missing baseboards. Still haven't finished that project.

I hope you dont plan on getting too much work done on that computer

in wall office tank = worlds biggest distraction

thanks for the photo I will print this and put it next to my computer in the mean time

Few updates lastnight

I hung my light instead of using the tank mounts. The light spread is a little bit better.

I hooked up my CPR bak pak to get it breaking in. Lots and lots and lots of micro bubbles in the display. I hope it dies down after a couple weeks.

Checked my parameters lastnight and nitrates were off the charts with the API kit. Is this natural for a nano? I don't ever remember getting blood red nitrate tests during any of my previous cycles. Should I just leave it until it's done? I don't have a nitrite test yet, nobody locally carries the test so I had to order it. Ammonia went from 5ppm to 1ppm in two days.

My ammonia cycled in a matter of days, waiting for the nitrate and nitrite took ages. I'd leave it for now, if it doesn't change over the next week I'd do a small water change.

lookin really good! it's like a live picture hanging by your desk..

curious, as much trouble as you went to to make this look so nice, why didn't you add a sump?

lookin really good! it's like a live picture hanging by your desk..

curious, as much trouble as you went to to make this look so nice, why didn't you add a sump?

Easy answer? I don't know and maybe wish I had. At the time I started this I had a budget and I knew this time around I wanted an MP10 and LED and no sump (see below about water changes). That soaked up most of the funds. Looking back, I wish I had sumped and skipped the CPR bak pak for something in sump, and I still might be able to drill the tank if I let some water out. I couldn't use my other 20 Long as it won't fit under so I'd have another expense for a sump tank, gla$$holes kit, or easier maybe a siphon kit. I have some stuff on eBay that isn't selling. If that stuff sold I could maybe change routes this coming week.

Mainly I wanted this tank to be easy to do water changes. I think the main reason I've downsized from 92 ish working gallons, to 60ish, to 2gallons, to no tank to this tank was the difficulty of water changes where I had tanks setup before. Up and down stairs with 5 gallon buckets splashing sucked. I figured one 5 gallon bucket a week was what I wanted to do so that led me to the 20 Long. As easy as my mixing station and top off is I still have to haul a bucket through brand new carpeted basement until I can tie in a slop sink to the furnace and water softener drain in the fish room.

As for the nitrates, I've been reading that the API kit sucks when high nitrites are present and can send results for nitrates off the charts. So I'll just wait out my nitrite kit and see where those are at.

Archived