Coral Vue Hydros

Dubber's In-Wall 29 Gallon

iadubber

Haha yes! I destroyed it last night and I didn't notice it until I was taking macro pics. I took the rock out and clipped almost all of the frag rock away. Hopefully that took care of it.

Just tryin' to help a brotha out...

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm not totally in love with the BML 14k color. I want to add some purple into the mix. Am I crazy? I seem to be gravitating to the looks of tanks with more purple. I've read a lot about UV leds and there seems to be arguments on both sides.

Some people say they have added UV LEDs but can't see them with their main fixture on.

I'd want to try five rapidLED Violet UV leds with 60 degree optics on a 0-10V Dimmable nano driver. Will this even make a difference in the color of the tank?

Cover the green LED's on your 14 K fixture with tape, I use white electrical tape, and see if that improves things.

I did this custom spectrum and left out the greens and reds. It looks darn good to me, but dim to the eye (most of the par is in the blue and deep violet range).

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-report-details/?partNo=PS3090S101FLMJLFLMJLFLMJL

If you see purple then what you are actually seeing is a mix of blue and deep red. I don't like purple, it gets old fast, but it does enhance some of the coral colors. I run one purple T5 over my 40, for example, to help highlight a pink pocillapora.

All IMO of course. :)

Cover the green LED's on your 14 K fixture with tape, I use white electrical tape, and see if that improves things.

I did this custom spectrum and left out the greens and reds. It looks darn good to me, but dim to the eye (most of the par is in the blue and deep violet range).

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-report-details/?partNo=PS3090S101FLMJLFLMJLFLMJL

If you see purple then what you are actually seeing is a mix of blue and deep red. I don't like purple, it gets old fast, but it does enhance some of the coral colors. I run one purple T5 over my 40, for example, to help highlight a pink pocillapora.

All IMO of course. :)

Upon inspection of my light I found out that six LEDs are already burnt out and I've only had this fixture since October. I have sent a picture and email to BML to see if there's anything they can do. I hope so since these have a three year warranty.

12111400536_f89b43d0cb_b.jpg

IMG_3669 by iadubber, on Flickr

Wow, that is not good. My oldest fixture is 1 year old and no issues yet. I did notice the new fixture I just bought uses slightly different components, hopefully not cheaper.

Ok, I got it cleared up by BML. Apparently that's how they make the 30" long fixture as they only use 12" LED modules. SO they move the strips and it appears that there are lenses that have LEDs not working. I'm surprised I had not noticed before. KInd of odd and almost feel cheated lol.

Ok, I got it cleared up by BML. Apparently that's how they make the 30" long fixture as they only use 12" LED modules. SO they move the strips and it appears that there are lenses that have LEDs not working. I'm surprised I had not noticed before. KInd of odd and almost feel cheated lol.

Ah, I should have noticed that as well since I have a 30 inch fixture. I forgot the 29 is the same 30 inch footprint. Yea, each board is 12 inches, so 3 boards would be 36". Anyway, do try covering your green LED's and see if you notice a color difference. To my eyes the green really takes a lot of the punch out of the colors.

That's the problem with pre-built LED, if you don't like the colors you're stuck. I have 2 BML fixtures over my 46 along with a ReefBright Blue/White strip. Way too white, so I have covered the green and a few white LED's to make it more blue, then rented a PAR meter to make sure I was still getting enough light into the tank.

I'm going to try covering the greens today. My closest LFS has a PAR meter I can rent sometime to test it out. Otherwise I'll just go by how the corals look for now. thanks

Nice macro shots, I just purchased a set of extension tubes on eBay, can't wait to play with them.

Nice! I got the dumb ones without contacts so I have to set the aperture manually on my lens first. I wished I had popped for the more expensive tubes. These were with my Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro and 27mm tubes.

Nice! I got the dumb ones without contacts so I have to set the aperture manually on my lens first. I wished I had popped for the more expensive tubes. These were with my Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro and 27mm tubes.

The kit I ordered will go up to 55mm maximum tube length (can be broken down into 9, 16 or 30mm lengths) but like yours they are the dumb one, no lens control. Doesn't really bother me too much but an inconvenience.

There is a huge plus if you use Live View to focus and have the contacts in the tubes. When you use tubes you need to preset the aperture, I usually go F11-13. Then take the lens off the body, put the tubes on, put the lens on. Then you have to focus and with the aperture closed down I have to crank the iso up in camera to get a bright enough live view picture to focus, then I have to bring the ISO back down. Sucks, I'll probably get the better ones eventually.

the 29 gal looks amazing in the wall, i like the height of it vs the 20L

why did you only paint the back & not the sides on the new one? when looking at the tank from the front can you see back into your storage room/plumbing area?

your photography is amazing & cant wait to see what else gets added to this tank

the 29 gal looks amazing in the wall, i like the height of it vs the 20L

why did you only paint the back & not the sides on the new one? when looking at the tank from the front can you see back into your storage room/plumbing area?

your photography is amazing & cant wait to see what else gets added to this tank

No I cannot see into my fish room through the side glass. I just get the reflection from inside the tank. That's why I didn't paint the sides. This gives me a bit more sight from inside the fish room. It's pretty hard to tell what you are doing when you can't look through the front of the tank and arrange stuff. Kind of sucks honestly! Having the sides clear makes it a little easier.

Ordered up a 4 LED UV kit from RapidLED to hopefully get some better colors on my corals. If this doesn't work I might go back to MH and eat the electricity bill. I'm just not liking the coloration of the 14k BML fixture.

Moved a couple of the corals around. Moved the armor of god and radioactive dragon eyes up closer to the light. They were extending quite a bit.

12277841446_aedf6a4fbd_b.jpg

IMG_3703 by iadubber, on Flickr

12277842976_275beb4ce7_b.jpg

IMG_3707 by iadubber, on Flickr

12277294165_1fc850336e_b.jpg

IMG_3709 by iadubber, on Flickr

12277440753_eb3b7dc2ba_b.jpg

IMG_3710 by iadubber, on Flickr

12277298195_c3ab3b4ef1_b.jpg

IMG_3711 by iadubber, on Flickr

12277444653_080951080a_b.jpg

IMG_3712 by iadubber, on Flickr

12277716304_56776cd264_b.jpg

IMG_3713 by iadubber, on Flickr

FTS: 2/2/14

12277448303_88a8e08775_b.jpg

IMG_3715 by iadubber, on Flickr

Lost my YWG some time last week. It wasn't uncommon lately that I wouldn't see him for a few days at a time so I didn't think anything of it. At first he would come out every feeding and scarf down, but lately I hadn't been seeing him much. I did see him a couple times this past week to come out and eat. I ended up finding him in my filter sock. I don't have any other fish besides the clowns so I assume he starved. I guess once a day wasn't enough for him.

Archived