Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Egginis Nuvo 24

Egginis

Deleted User 4

Maybe, but I have never seen them act aggressively or attack any of my fish. It seems like the simplest answer but my instincts tell me its something else. I am determined to find out and will be keeping a very close eye on things.

Maybe there's a mantis shrimp? Highly impossible imo. Good luck finding out...maybe you should go fishless for 1/2 yr. I've done it before this one time when I had something killing my fishes but I couldn't figure what, I really thought there were isopods eating my fish out.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe there's a mantis shrimp? Highly impossible imo. Good luck finding out...maybe you should go fishless for 1/2 yr. I've done it before this one time when I had something killing my fishes but I couldn't figure what, I really thought there were isopods eating my fish out.

I may just go fishless for a while. I do still have the firefish and he looks very healthy. Going to do a little research on the subject. Will let you know the findings. Thanks for the suggestions.

Internal parasites?

Maybe, but they were all eating and looked very healthy. No aggression and they seemed happy.

Are you feeding them? LOL

Feed them brine, mysis, liquid phyto feast, seaweed sheets, and Rod's reef food.

What kind of pistol is it?

Not sure, it came with the goby and made a very nice pair. It's like when the goby jumped out of the aquarium, I started losing the other fish. The shrimp is incredibly strong. It moves rock and forms huge hills behind the rock work. It now lives with the firefish. They share a cave together.

Not sure, it came with the goby and made a very nice pair. It's like when the goby jumped out of the aquarium, I started losing the other fish. The shrimp is incredibly strong. It moves rock and forms huge hills behind the rock work. It now lives with the firefish. They share a cave together.

What does he look like? Got a pic?

Is he like these big suckers?

alpheus_sp_yellow.jpg

p-39414-Pistol-Shrimp.jpg

bullseyePistolShrimp1.jpg

pistol_shrimp1.jpg

What does he look like? Got a pic?

Is he like these big suckers?

Unfortunately I do not have a pic. But he looks most like a mini version of the 2nd pic but much more colorful. You think he might be the culprit? He is way to small to take down a fish even though he is freakishly strong.

Could a brittle worm do that? This is rather disturbing. And they're not on the ground shrunken behind the aquarium, any chambers anywhere? Could they be getting sucked into anything? Do you have one of those red light flashlights that you can use at 4am to check out the tank?

Could a brittle worm do that? This is rather disturbing. And they're not on the ground shrunken behind the aquarium, any chambers anywhere? Could they be getting sucked into anything? Do you have one of those red light flashlights that you can use at 4am to check out the tank?

Possibly could be a bristle worm. I have not seen one but that does not mean its not there. I will be using the flashlight on my phone to investigate at night. I have checked every other space and chamber. It's like they just vanished.

Yeah, could be a huge bristle worm starving and just bringing those gobies back to its little cave hole.

Because I watch all my fish and inverts eat, and do not really allow excess food to stay in my aquarium, the culprit being a bristle worm is a huge possibility. In the past I have found 10 inch bristle worms living under rocks when breaking tanks down. Will start looking for this tomorrow.

You sure would think you'd see some kind of carcasses somewhere, of Something.

Anyone have that special red flashlight that Albert Thiel sells?

Weird that really sucks I've heard of brittle stars doing this go fishless for a few months hopefully whatever it is will starve

You sure you don't have a mantis in there or something? something big has to be eating those fish? You've entered, THE Twilight ZONE!! du du du du.

Weird that really sucks I've heard of brittle stars doing this go fishless for a few months hopefully whatever it is will starve

You sure you don't have a mantis in there or something? something big has to be eating those fish? You've entered, THE Twilight ZONE!! du du du du.

Some pistol's will kill fish. I would think it would have to be bigger than you described though.

Yeah, could be a huge bristle worm starving and just bringing those gobies back to its little cave hole.

Found the culprit to my missing fish. It is a huge fire red bristle worm which is living in a piece of live rock. The thing looks to be about 8 inches long and is very thick and hairy. I have been unable to get him out and wonder why he has not eaten my firefish. Could be that the pistol is defending him as I hear popping noises coming from the aquarium at night. If I cannot remove the bristle worm than I am tossing the entire rock out. I really miss having fish in the aquarium.

Deleted User 4

That sucks....how are you going to catch that thing... I know coral banded shrimp can catch it and eat it but it might also eat your firefish/pistol shrimp/2 fireshrimps.

Damn, I'd freak out seeing that bristle worm....

Maybe the only way you can do it is take the rock out, put it in a pail of freshwater so he comes out. Or over salinity?? You don't think there are babies do you?

Deleted User 4

Yeah, there might be babies....

Best option is to have a coral banded shrimp in there alone, nothing else and have it feast on all those bristle worms in the tank for a month lol.

Only problem i see with freshwater is it sometimes takes a long time for them to come out and if there's corals on that rock you could damage them

How has the sump come along aren't you worried about it breaking siphon and overflowing,

i only say this because i saw pictures of the pre filter overflow and it looks like an overflow which is great but then the pipe runs down so my question is how are you getting it in to the sump without drilling . Siphon?

Gorgeous tank, Egginis!!!!!!

Your bristleworm problem is a little disconcerting for me. I have a giant bristle that lives in one of my rocks. So far it's behaved, but if they eat fish...yikes!!!!!

That sucks....how are you going to catch that thing... I know coral banded shrimp can catch it and eat it but it might also eat your firefish/pistol shrimp/2 fireshrimps.

Damn, I'd freak out seeing that bristle worm....

There is no way I could catch this worm, I have tried for several days but the thing retracts into the rock and disappears. I decided against the coral banded shrimp as I was nervous about what else it might attack and kill. This bristle worm is very freaky looking. Tried to get a photo but the thing is just to fast. Its like it knows I am watching it.

Maybe the only way you can do it is take the rock out, put it in a pail of freshwater so he comes out. Or over salinity?? You don't think there are babies do you?

I took the rock out of the aquarium and soaked it in freshwater for 30 minutes. Other little creatures came off, some beneficial and I was sad to see the die off. Worst part about the freshwater dip is that the darn bristle worm never fell out. Good news is that there seem to be no sign of baby worms. Looks like just that monster hairy sucker.

Only problem i see with freshwater is it sometimes takes a long time for them to come out and if there's corals on that rock you could damage them

You were very right on your point. Luckily I had no corals growing on the rock but did lose a few starfish, some feather dusters, and other small beneficial inverts. Stupid fire worm did not even dislodge.

When I use 50/50 tank water and peroxide.. worms just come wreathing out. Maybe try that?

I'm nervous to add peroxide because of what else it might kill on the rock and what may happen if any stays in the rock and seeps into the main system. I have to many sensitive corals and do not want to risk it.

Wow - scary. Best of luck and keep us posted on your efforts to remove the worm.

I threw out the entire rock tonight. It seemed like the best way to be certain the fire worm is gone. I will kick myself if the darn thing moved to a different location. I looked in the rock but could not see anything. I believe the fire bristle worm is deep within it.

Gorgeous tank, Egginis!!!!!!

Your bristleworm problem is a little disconcerting for me. I have a giant bristle that lives in one of my rocks. So far it's behaved, but if they eat fish...yikes!!!!!

Thank you for the kind comment on my aquarium. I do not think you need to be too worried Gena. I have has several species of bristle worm in my aquariums and many are very beneficial and great scavengers. This particular species is one big bad (well you get the picture) :) The one in my aquarium looks like the picture below but only longer, thinner, and a bit darker red.

Unknown_zpsf22ab45b.jpeg?t=1377579561

How has the sump come along aren't you worried about it breaking siphon and overflowing,

i only say this because i saw pictures of the pre filter overflow and it looks like an overflow which is great but then the pipe runs down so my question is how are you getting it in to the sump without drilling . Siphon?

I have not had the time to add it as my volleyball season is taking most of my spare time currently. I plan to revisit the project again this November. I will be using a overflow box purchased from LifeReef filter systems. They make great aquarium sumps, skimmer, and pre-filters. Check out their site. The owners name is Jeff and he makes terrific product. I am going to hang the filter from the back or side of the aquarium.

Archived